insanity afloat - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 74 Old 12-10-2019
Barquito

Re: insanity afloat

I think the poop deck is now on the bow of the spectator boat, or wherever there were people standing at the time.

Valiant 32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 74 Old 12-10-2019

I watched the start of one of those races at Annapolis a few years ago. There were many hundreds of spectator boats, and an army of volunteer boats who were trying to keep the spectators behind established lines and out of the racing area, but some spectators wouldn't comply and wanted a closer view, and they got in the way of the racers. IMO, that wasn't the racers' fault any more than it would be the drivers' fault if some lunatic wandered onto the race track at Indianapolis during the 500. Sometimes there's just no excuse for stupidity.

The wind was light that day, but those boats are still a majestic sight.
post #23 of 74 Old 12-10-2019

Hey,

A couple of comments from me

The around Long Island regatta starts in New York harbor. Over 100 yachts in the race. Lots of commercial vessels in the area, large container ships, large ferries, etc. At the captains meeting the race organizers are very clear that if a race boat impedes a commercial vessel the race boat will be dq弾d. The CG also has a large presence and keeps sailboats away from the faster ferries, including the Staten Island ferries.

Personally, when I知 racing on my boat i will plan ahead to give working boats plenty of room.

I don稚 understand the comments from some people that think that because boats are racing they automatically gain or lose privileges. Racing or not, the same rules apply to everyone. If I知 racing, cruising, or day sailing, a sailboat on starboard tack is stand on to a powerboat. If I知 in middle of the Long Island sound and the port Jeff ferry approaches, if I知 sailing i am still the stand on vessel and the ferry should alter course. I probably will alter course early to avoid any risk, but if I知 racing i may not, and that is still the rules.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
When I was operating an 81' three masted schooner on day tours of Charleston Harbor, periodically the yacht club racers would either try to force me to tack, quite a project w/49 passengers on deck in light air and skinny water, or use the Pride to rub off their competition. Had anything gone slightly wrong, I'd have been up before a board of review with my license and livelihood at stake because some jerk (I'm not swearing here even though I'd like to) was out playing with his toy boat.
A call to the YC was usually sufficient, though once in a while I had to contact the CG, which resulted in a notice that if yacht club racers were in any way found interfering with the commercial vessels operating in the harbor, all in harbor racing would be banned and they could take their races out into the stream beyond the A buoy!
So, for a period of time, the commercial vessels were given a wide berth and we all shared the harbor like gentlemen.
chef2sail likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 74 Old 12-10-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Racing boats have no more rights on the water, than if there were no race. As a spectator though, you'd think they'd give them a special consideration and a wider berth.

Much like the infield at the aforementioned Nascar races, sometimes its NOT about the race as much as it is about the party AT the race. This would appear to have been the rule here.

People at the top of their game racing also generally have a bit more control than others might realize. What is out of your comfort zone might not be out of theirs (which is why I am impressed by the skipper of those boats). if you are not racing, make your intentions clear early. If you don't then don't be surprised when a racing crew treats you as an obstruction, to be avoided but with the least amount of detriment to overall VMG.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #25 of 74 Old 12-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
All of those spectator boats were violating the Collregs. Discuss.
Are you going to back up this post? Lets see the section from the ColRegs that is in question.

Last edited by Arcb; 12-11-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #26 of 74 Old 12-10-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
IMO, that wasn't the racers' fault any more than it would be the drivers' fault if some lunatic wandered onto the race track at Indianapolis during the 500. Sometimes there's just no excuse for stupidity.
Your premise is wrong. Indianapolis is private property.
This is more akin to people racing on a public highway.

The poster shown below shows the attitude of many racers I am familiar with.
Attached Thumbnails
Regatta.jpg  
Arcb likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #27 of 74 Old 12-10-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
People at the top of their game racing also generally have a bit more control
than others might realize. .
But that just isn't the point. I'm perfectly capable of doing just about anything with our boat under sail, but it's the other boat's actions that come into play and make things go badly.
Had one of those spectator boat's operator become flustered when he saw one of those huge boats bearing down on him and in a panic accidentally put the boat's engine in forward instead of reverse, well, things would have turned out very differently for quite a few friends and relatives of those on the boats involved. Even more uninvolved boats could have become involved in the effort to avoid a collision.
We see this all the time in autos, on the news. Someone hits the gas instead of the brake and others die.
Nope, unless you are saying that these racers gain prescient abilities just because they are reasonably capable sailors, your theory holds no water at all.
I would have DQ'ed any racer that entered the spectator fleet for any reason at all, even if they were where they were not allowed to be. No excuses. In most sports, the officials stop the game if someone gets on the field, and play doesn''t resume until the matter is dealt with. If the race committee chooses not to or can't do the same, then the onus falls on the racing boats' skippers to do the right thing to protect their vessel and crew as well as those of the intruding vessels.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
釘elieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #28 of 74 Old 12-10-2019

After watching this video several times all I can say is WOW !!! I'm in awe of the skipper of the race boat who threaded the needle between 3 boats without missing a beat. I find it rather amusing to read all of the comments about col regs and calling these things toy boats when all I can think is that the skipper (or at least helmsman) of that boat was strictly business. Anyone on here willing to challenge him to a match race ? I think not..... If you do, please let me know. I would pay good money to see that race so I could LMAO.
ThereYouAre likes this.
post #29 of 74 Old 12-10-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
After watching this video several times all I can say is WOW !!! I'm in awe of the skipper of the race boat who threaded the needle between 3 boats without missing a beat. I find it rather amusing to read all of the comments about col regs and calling these things toy boats when all I can think is that the skipper (or at least helmsman) of that boat was strictly business. Anyone on here willing to challenge him to a match race ? I think not..... If you do, please let me know. I would pay good money to see that race so I could LMAO.
So you are saying you admire poor judgment and imprudent seamanship just because he got away with it this time? What about the boat barrelling through the dark at something like 20 knots that killed those Chinese? You admire him, too?
The skipper in the video isn't good, just lucky!
boatpoker likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
釘elieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #30 of 74 Old 12-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Your premise is wrong. Indianapolis is private property.
This is more akin to people racing on a public highway.

The poster shown below shows the attitude of many racers I am familiar with.
I don't know a single sailor who is cavalier about giving way to commercial vessels, but one will occasionally get a horn because he misjudged the vessels course or speed.

If you knowingly encroach onto a clearly delineated race course, whether on public or private property, and your boat is damaged by a race boat that was a give way vessel under the rules, you might nevertheless be denied your damages in a court action based on the tort principle of assumption of risk, depending on the particular facts.

Some auto races take place on public roads, such as the Pikes Peak race, and you can't foolishly encroach on a delineated, closed race course and then expect to be compensated for your damages if you get hit by a racer.

Likewise, you can't wander into a hydroplane race course during a race on a river and expect to recover your damages if you're hit by a hydroplane doing 110 kts. In appropriate cases, the courts might conclude that you assumed the risk of being damaged.

You can't park your boat in the middle of a delineated race course and watch a racer approaching you from 1-2 miles away, and make no effort to get out of his way, and then expect to recover your damages. The racer has defenses to a tort action, such as assumption of risk, contributory negligence and last clear chance.

If race organizers tell spectator boats to stay out of a designated racing area, as was the case in the rtw race that I described earlier, spectator boats should comply.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 12-11-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in