SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Popsicle Stick Bulkhead Templates (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/332076-popsicle-stick-bulkhead-templates.html)

Kielanders 12-06-2019 10:13 PM

Popsicle Stick Bulkhead Templates

You old salts probably already know this, and I can't remember where I read this online, but there was an article I found that mentioned how to make precise bulkhead templates.

It basically involves using a hot glue gun and a bag of popsicle sticks, both of which you can find at any craft store.

There's no technique other then heading into the hull and gluing them together following the contours of the area you're looking to match.

I would occasionally tack every 6th stick to the hull to maintain the shape of the outline.

I did two large full beam bulkhead templates in about 10 minutes, and just finished cutting and test fitting one bulkhead in about an hour.

I'd read books and watched videos about using a story pole, scribing sections with scrap lumber, scribing pieces of cardboard, or using the old bulkheads (depending on how cleanly you can cut them out), but then stumbled on this.

For anyone out there pulling their hair out looking for a straight forward idiot proof way to get a precise shape mapped in a difficult confined space, I can testify that this is working great for me.

MarkofSeaLife 12-06-2019 10:34 PM

Re: Popsicle Stick Bulkhead Templates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kielanders (Post 2051639934)

It basically involves using a hot glue gun and a bag of popsicle sticks, both of which you can find at any craft store.

That's how my whole boat was made!

:)

Arcb 12-06-2019 10:50 PM

It works, I have a full set of Cal 21 templates in my garage. Cedar strips instead of popsicle sticks, but same idea.

boatpoker 12-07-2019 12:50 AM

I buy 1X4's aand cut them into 1/4" strips. Had a glue gun onboard since the early 90's. Less than $2 at Dollarama :)

Minnewaska 12-07-2019 01:03 PM

Same method used to pattern a teak deck.

Capt Len 12-07-2019 02:33 PM

Door skins are cheap. Cut into strips. (3 or 4" ?) Fudge curves and cut with tin snips .Glue.. cross strips for integrity. Label position and helpful info.

Kielanders 12-07-2019 04:57 PM

Thanks guys, I just thought I post my experience because a bunch of SailNet threads usually pop-up for me on Google searches for sailboat stuff - just never stumbled across one like this. So, I figured I throw it out there in case someone 10 years from now is pulling their hair out like I was.