I hate RM - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 Old 12-09-2019 Thread Starter

I hate RM

Have 3 RM e series chart plotters. Middle one froze. GPS in other two turned off at middle one used for gps which feeds AP. Bottom half of bad chart plotter blank. Unable to turn it off individually. Only by turning off everything at the breaker below. Failed going Bequia to Rodney. Sporty at the time as in compression zone at north end of st Vincent. Tech says can be removed and move primary gps to another and also move master. But would have a hole where old one was or blank screen. Also says other two may/ may not be corrupted. Have taken bad out. Others work but slow. Tech says factory reset should fix them. Probably bad information from bad one as it failed. I’m basically singling. Winds and seas more significant then the leewards. AP needs to be reliable. Charts important but less so as navionics on iPad serves. E series put in 2013 but 2012 as boat built in China.
What would you do?
Run with two?
Put in an Axiom running outside the network?
Replace all 3?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 12-09-2019
Master Mariner

Re: I hate RM

I've had nothing but trouble with RM equipment. Something similar happened (master/slave communication problems) plus other problems, on a treasure hunting vessel I operated in the T & C, an operation that really requires one's navigation gear to be operating at peak efficiency. Hours on the cell phone (at early cell phone costs) and not one tech at RM could even suggest a fix.
It wouldn't be worth my time to install Ray Marine equipment on any boat I have to operate, even if it was given to me free.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 105 Old 12-09-2019

Out, still running a couple of RM e's in the sailboat, and a newer RM touch screen in the power boat.

The difference between the newer and older units, any brand, is significant. Screen update rates are probably the most notable, but resolution is better too. The e feels clunky when I've been out in the power boat.

The problem with all this stuff is once you get started, you know what will happen. The radar, the 3 MFD's, maybe even the autopilot, next thing you know you're thinking about updating the wind instruments, sounder....yikes.......a thousand here a thousand there and after a while it adds up to real money.

Two choices.

Find someone who has a used e MFD in good shape.

Start a major project and open your wallet.

The problem with all this tech is it's useful life, or even shorter it's life before there's something better, or even shorter it's life before you can't get it fixed because the vendor has moved on, is getting shorter. And we cut all these holes in our boats to build the stuff in. I feel for you and know it won't be long and I'll be doing it too.

post #4 of 105 Old 12-09-2019

I see this heading toward "generic" touch screens with black box processors. Maybe the screens will include hot keys or some sort of actual knob or mouse ball or similar.

Why can't these companies settle on chassis sizes so you are not messing up your cabinets faces or whatever when you change the unit?

Industry did settle on those 4" square display heads... so why not on the main units?

They settled on (for the time being) N2K network protocols... Whoopie!!!!!!!!!!! Next up will be complete wireless networking.

Yeah.... I have an old C 80 which is whacky... But I added a winch mounted B&G T7 in the cockpit where I need to SEE a plotter. The winch mount can easily be changed! Pedestal pods may or may not be adaptable as you change gear. Don't use one and won't.

Cost per unit of time use is quite spendy for these things.... no?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #5 of 105 Old 12-09-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Don't use one and won't.
Cost per unit of time use is quite spendy for these things.... no?
I love our pedestal mounted pods. Easy to reach and see from the helm (sitting or standing) and they keep our expensive electronics at hand and safe from the weather, the sea and damage from people. I'd always be worrying if my us$4k MFD was just hanging out in the cockpit somewhere. And the MFDs all the way forward under the bimini, which can't be reached from the helm? Really? I readjust, scroll or check bearing/distance on our display maybe 20 times as we enter or leave some harbors or complicated reef areas. How does one change ranges or plot on the radar from 8 feet away?
As for cost per unit of time, we may not be similar to most owners, but I think we've done remarkably well. The us$4000.00 MFD is over ten years old with uncountable thousands of hours on it. Not only is it on when we are underway, but often it was on in the anchorages as an anchor drag alarm (before the Rocna) or watching the weather or other boats in squalls, etc.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 105 Old 12-09-2019

I have an RM C-80 and a spare. RM no longer supports their repair. I really don’t want any of this “integrated” network stuff in the boat. I need the C-80 or something as I still have the radar, and a spare dome.

I use the C-80 in passage just to plot a “go to” to have a course line. And as a radar screen. But for any detailed navigation I use my iPad. Here in the Caribbean that’s running NV raster charts on iNavEx. FAR better than the Navionics charts, mich easier to read, better information.

If my radar dies then I’ll get a Furuno wireless radar or whatever put a cup holder where the C-80 lived.

But even at that I can see I’ll need to upgrade to a better iSomething eventually as my back up is a 10-12 year old iPad. Still working but slow.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #7 of 105 Old 12-09-2019

Quote:
I see this heading toward "generic" touch screens with black box processors. Maybe the screens will include hot keys or some sort of actual knob or mouse ball or similar.
Furuno does offer black boxes with many choices of touchscreens (not necessary to be Furuno ones). Most likely others do too - they certainly do in their commercial lines. They also have separate knob/keypad controls if wanted.

Quote:
Why can't these companies settle on chassis sizes so you are not messing up your cabinets faces or whatever when you change the unit?
That's a tough request. So much is dependent on engineering constraints, marketing desires, etc. For plotters above many other electronics, the consumer would be constrained more with standardized chassis sizes than without. It would also kill innovation because companies would be stuck in a box, so to speak.

Quote:
Industry did settle on those 4" square display heads... so why not on the main units?
They do look standardized, don't they? Unfortunately, I have yet to meet one that was. Not even from the same company in the same model line. Imagine how pissed I was when B&G gave me a Triton 2 to replace a Triton 1, and I had to completely recut and modify the mount for it. I also changed a Raymarine ST60 to a ST70 and had to glass over and recut a hole. All of these units were extremely close to the same nominal size, but none of them mounted close to the same way. Granted, they don't differ as much as the plotters do, but you will be cutting new hole sizes, or filling in old holes to get a new one to fit.

Quote:
They settled on (for the time being) N2K network protocols... Whoopie!!!!!!!!!!! Next up will be complete wireless networking.
Maybe, but given the widespread woes with wireless wind instruments, I'm not holding my breath. Certainly, it will be a long time before full-functioned radar is wireless, as well as larger high-bandwidth integrated systems. I'm quite pleased with N2K. Stupid simple to connect, and not much to go wrong. Single wires that are relatively easy to run. SignalK could make the biggest bite in this area, but the topology is the same. What would be great would be a star-topology based on ethernet or similar. Furuno tried hard for this in the face of N2K, but did not prevail. More robust, and even easier to implement.

Quote:
Yeah.... I have an old C 80 which is whacky... But I added a winch mounted B&G T7 in the cockpit where I need to SEE a plotter. The winch mount can easily be changed! Pedestal pods may or may not be adaptable as you change gear. Don't use one and won't.
Aren't the pods themselves pretty standard, and all one needs to do is recut, or get a new, faceplate for the pod? I recently changed a Garmin plotter in a pod for a Furuno plotter, and was able to make it fit well gluing a sheet of black plastic over the old hole (trimmed and rounded appropriately), with a new hole cut into it. Looks good and fits well. I used black because the plotter is black and it all looks the same, but white would work for a different situation.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #8 of 105 Old 12-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
my back up is a 10-12 year old iPad.
Can't be (but it still could be "old").

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 105 Old 12-09-2019

This thread just leans me more towards tablets
..and sounders
post #10 of 105 Old 12-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Can't be (but it still could be "old").

Mark
I get that same reaction when I look at my age on anything.

I’m old but can’t be THAT old!
RegisteredUser likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in