LG bifacial solar panel interest - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 Old 12-14-2019

Re: LG bifacial solar panel interest

Put a mylar reflecting cover over the dinghy, and voilą! Keeps sun off the hypalon and boosts your battery power. Sounds like a great idea.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 12-15-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Put a mylar reflecting cover over the dinghy, and voilą! Keeps sun off the hypalon and boosts your battery power. Sounds like a great idea.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not an entirely stupid idea. Would certainly fit my set-up.
8ft x 3 foot mylar sheet $9.50 on amazon. I wonder if theres one that would put up with Butt-Rub?

Would certainly make the dinghy look cool!!!!!

And the make it in gold! Sold
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3274.JPG  

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-15-2019 at 07:25 AM.
post #13 of 38 Old 12-15-2019
CF Escapee

For What It's Worth:

https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...-panel-tariff/

Steve

post #14 of 38 Old 12-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

Ugh. Picking winners and losers. Totally crony capitalism.

Quote:
we have relentlessly lobbied the Administration to grant additional exemptions
Nice for them that their lobbying worked out, too bad for others who didn't have the connections or money for lobbyists.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #15 of 38 Old 12-15-2019

I dont see it as that obvious.
We - at least i - do not see all the cards.
Ass u me...wasted energy
post #16 of 38 Old 12-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
This is interesting, and explains something else I just found out about them. In the US only, and nowhere else in the world, LG can only sell their bifacial panels to licensed commercial installers, and not to individual retail consumers.

If, as I was attempting to do, one buys these panels from another country that is allowed to sell the panels to individual retail consumers (Canada in my case), the panels then fall under tariffs.

I suspect give the above article that some sort of protectionist deal was put in place for the tariff exception, and it is just the same big business-government hand-in-hand as always.

Mark
Minnesail likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #17 of 38 Old 12-16-2019
dadio917

am very happy with the renogy panels we got early this year (two rigids and a flexible). Less than $100/watt even with the dotards tariffs on renewable energy.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #18 of 38 Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter

Yes, we owned Renogy panels on our previous boat and liked them. However, Renogy does not make bifacial panels, let alone any sized at 350W or above.

The reason they don't come under tariffs is because they are such small wattage.

I don't think you really paid $100/W...

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #19 of 38 Old 12-16-2019
dadio917

Quote:
I don't think you really paid $100/W...
whoops...couple extra zeros there!

maybe better off with multiple small simple panels anyways.

come to think of it for the right price/weight a person could stack panels facing each way. still, simplicity is bliss.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #20 of 38 Old 12-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Nevermind. Close the thread. I just found out the import duties levied by our great country put this panel well out of financial sense.

Everyone else not living in the US can get it for $395. The greatest country in the world pays almost twice that.

Can't wait until November 3.

Mark
The reason these panels are so cheap is that South Korea, where LG panel components are produced, they have such lax environmental standards that air quality is among the worst in the world, and according to a quick google search, factory workers outside Seoul can make UP TO $1200 US/month or under $15000/year. There's no way that a company that produces its electronic components in the US or western Europe can compete with a competitive advantage like that because they have to abide by actual environmental standards that yield air you can see through and breath without coughing, and they have to pay their factory workers at least 2 or 3 times what South Korean or Chinese or Indian workers make. If you define the "greatest country on earth" to be one where you can take advantage of that without seeing/smelling the pollution and you don't have to see workers living far below what we consider dire poverty, then I guess we have a difference in what the definition of "great" is. I like a bargain as much as anyone, but without import fees or tariffs, these companies in places like Korea and China will continue to pollute (out of sight out of mind?) and oppress workers while those of us lucky enough to live in the greatest country on earth subsidize them with our $$$, at least as long as we don't happen to be among those who loses our job because the company we work for can't compete. Does that really sound "great" to you? Tariffs and import fees allow US companies to compete for our $$$ while abiding by US environmental standards and paying their workers a living wage. Are you really against that? Are cheap panels so important to you that you want to support companies that foul South Korea's air and barely pay their workers enough to survive?
hasher and serpa4 like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in