LG bifacial solar panel interest - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 12-13-2019 Thread Starter

LG bifacial solar panel interest

I'm looking to buy a 390W LG bifacial solar panel. This is a new advancement in solar by LG, where the back face of the panel also provides active solar generation. The 390W rating is for the front face only, but if there is reflection on the back from water or a white base, the output can be 30% higher. They also excel early in the morning and late in the afternoon when the sun angle does not irradiate the front well, but is stronger underneath from low angle reflection.

Anyway. The supplier told me there would be a price break in shipping if he could ship 4 or more panels, and asked if I knew anyone else in my area who also wanted them.

I'm in the Tampa/St. Pete Florida area right now, so they would have to be picked up here. Let me know if you are interested.

The panel cost without shipping is $410. The panel specs are here: https://www.lgenergy.com.au/uploads/...9811cfd841.pdf

Throwing this out there in case someone is interested.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-13-2019 Thread Starter

Re: LG bifacial solar panel interest

Nevermind. Close the thread. I just found out the import duties levied by our great country put this panel well out of financial sense.

Everyone else not living in the US can get it for $395. The greatest country in the world pays almost twice that.

Can't wait until November 3.

Mark
bigdogandy, Minnesail and Maelduin like this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #3 of 38 Old 12-13-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Nevermind. Close the thread. I just found out the import duties levied by our great country put this panel well out of financial sense.

Everyone else not living in the US can get it for $395. The greatest country in the world pays almost twice that.

Can't wait until November 3.

Mark
Our country is greater than yours. We put a 286% tariff on it

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #4 of 38 Old 12-14-2019 Thread Starter

These were coming from your country at reasonable price until our tariffs.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #5 of 38 Old 12-14-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
These were coming from your country at reasonable price until our tariffs.

Mark
"Through" our country, not "from" our country. Our tariff would not apply if we are simply a way station.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #6 of 38 Old 12-14-2019

Dock

Quote:

Suck it up, Buttercup. They are not available in the UK at all as far as I can see.

Mark
PhilCarlson likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 38 Old 12-14-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Suck it up, Buttercup. They are not available in the UK at all as far as I can see.

Mark
First site that came up when I googled: https://www.bimblesolar.com/LG-400W-bifacial-solar

The next 7 sites were also UK sellers. Didn't look farther than that.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #8 of 38 Old 12-14-2019

Dock

Quote:
First site that came up when I googled: https://www.bimblesolar.com/LG-400W-bifacial-solar

The next 7 sites were also UK sellers. Didn't look farther than that.

Mark

Oh, great, thanks, Mark.

m

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 38 Old 12-14-2019

Is windage an issue, mounting these panels to expose both sides? Perhaps not if they’re installed on a taffrail or cockpit arch or if people can integrate them into rigid wing sails.(!) How do they hold up to repeated salt water dousings?
post #10 of 38 Old 12-14-2019 Thread Starter

I plan to mount them over the davits like I would if they were only 1-sided panels.

Windage is the same as any other panel.

Salt water dousing is the same as any other panel.

The only thing that appears different over other panels is that LG has moved the intercell connection points between cells, moved the junction box and wiring off the back, and removed the back plastic cover and replaced with glass like the top cover. After all, all solar cells can technically produce from either side - it is only when put in a practical panel that they become limited to one side. I think LG just figured out how to expose the back and still be a practical panel.

Mark
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in