Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 100 Old 12-21-2019

Re: Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
In my neck of the woods, there are all sorts of yacht/sailing clubs, for all sorts of people. The one thing that bothers me about a bunch of them is their "initiation" fee. Which can be extremely high. I get that the costs of running many of the sailing programs costs, but why have such a large fee to just join the first year, besides being a barrier for new members?

Here is a cut and paste example:

Active Members: Those age 37 and above who join the Club, age to be determined as of January 1 of each year, shall pay fees per the following schedule:

Member Processing Fee: $100.00

Annual Dues: $1,054.00

Annual Dining Room Minimum: $300.00

Initiation (One-time for the life of continuous membership): $2,600.00

Total: $4,054.00
That is actually not that bad if the club has something to offer you.

I paid FAR more than that to join RVYC. The way a lot of bigger clubs do initiation fees is based on your age. The older you get the higher the initiation fee. It seems unfair on the face of it, but it is actually quite equitable when you think about it. Keep in mind that as a member of a yacht club you are a part owner of all the assets of that club. If the club were ever to dissolve all of the assets would be divided evenly among the membership. If that were to happen, would it be fair for the person that joined a year ago to get the same percentage as the member who has invested 40 years into the club? Of course that is not likely to happen in an established club, but it eliminates the idea that a long time member who has been paying dues for many years has more rights than a new member, because the new member has paid a much higher initiation that equalizes the years of dues. All members are considered equal from a financial standpoint.
People spend tens of thousands of dollars to buy into timeshares that give them limited access to resort properties. The way I see it, I bought part ownership in 8 waterfront properties in prime cruising waters that I can use any time I want as often as I want, and those assets are worth many millions of dollars.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 12-21-2019

I don't know how much this applies in the Chesapeake but one of the deterrents for me is the mandatory participation. I get it's necessary to have work-bees and to staff functions but part of sailing is about getting away from the incessant bottle drives, bingos and chocolate bar sales that are so much a part of life these days. Having a boat is a means to escape that (and frankly, all the go-getting people), so the idea of signing up to work for the "greater good" rather than just going out and floating on the water...well so far the benefits havent outweighed the cost.

I am going to guess if moorage was scarce and reciprocals were better then I might rethink that... then again I'd rather be at anchor than tied up to a club dock anyway

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 100 Old 12-21-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Well there is virtually no moorings in the Chesapeake. So yo pretty much get a choice, Marina, club, or private slip behind someone’s house.

Also many people enjoy their sailing and sharing camaraderie. Some prefer their sailing to be an escape from others. Some with families and kids like them being around other kids, lots of clubs have junior sailing programs as well as bake sales. Some clubs have active racing programs or its members participate on a members boat in a racing program. Not everyone wants to get away from everyone else as it appears you might enjoy.

There are different types of clubs. Some you pay more for but don’t have to volunteer. Some you pay less but volunteer a certain number of hours. In the club I belonged to there was no MANDATORY participation. There was no pressure to participate. You could come and do as you please. If socializing with others isn’t your thing, there was no pressure.

Remember different people have different outlooks about their sailing experience, no value judgement . It isn’t rocket science to figure that out. Sailing is a personal experience.

For many years I was a racer. I couldn’t understand when I would pass someone and see their sails not trimmed properly How they could allow that to happen.....why didn’t they care. I finally figured it out one day. It didn’t bother them as it wasn’t important to them. They still enjoyed their boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #94 of 100 Old 12-21-2019 Thread Starter
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
I don't know how much this applies in the Chesapeake but one of the deterrents for me is the mandatory participation.
If we lived closer to any of the clubs with facilities that I'd want to join, I don't think I'd mind the mandatory work days. I just finished welcoming a family new to our sailing club and while writing the email I was reminded how much we learned about sailing while sitting down to a meal with the other members. Either during a social event during the off season, at anchor after a club sail, or a club weekend when they visit Rock Hall where we are, while the sailing part is the point of having a boat for us, the interaction with sailors with more experience has been invaluable and has added to our enjoyment.
chef2sail likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #95 of 100 Old 12-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
I don't know how much this applies in the Chesapeake but one of the deterrents for me is the mandatory participation. I get it's necessary to have work-bees and to staff functions but part of sailing is about getting away from the incessant bottle drives, bingos and chocolate bar sales that are so much a part of life these days. Having a boat is a means to escape that (and frankly, all the go-getting people), so the idea of signing up to work for the "greater good" rather than just going out and floating on the water...well so far the benefits havent outweighed the cost.

I am going to guess if moorage was scarce and reciprocals were better then I might rethink that... then again I'd rather be at anchor than tied up to a club dock anyway
I guess it depends on the club. Neither of my clubs have mandatory volunteer hours. The smaller club has an incentive to encourage volunteerism. If you put in 20 hours of volunteer time you can get $200 discount off your dues. The volunteer hours can be helping organize club functions, helping to run the racing program, helping with seasonal decorations at the clubhouse or participating in organized work parties to clean up the docks, do repairs etc.

The bigger club has no incentives, but the work parties are well attended. The emphasis is on the "party", so we go to an outstation and spend the day on various projects that enhance the beauty of the property or maintain infrastructure. Once that is done we have a big dinner and party, so it is as much a social event as work.

Of course there are plenty of members that don't chip in and help, but you find there are workers and free-loaders in every organization!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #96 of 100 Old 12-21-2019

The exclusivity and attitude is enough to make me york. I dislike exclusivity on priniciple, and that has nothing to do with cost. No possible interest. Racing club, yes, if I was into racing. But I was into racing once and never found the need to join a club. So no interest.

"Dinosaurs-r-us" about sums it up.
SanderO likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #97 of 100 Old 12-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

They all thought they had the right to an opinion even though they paid bare minimal fees compared to the boaters.
Representation without taxation is just as flawed as taxation without representation.
post #98 of 100 Old 12-23-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

They had representation proportional to their taxation, they had a representative on the Board of Governors.

The difference between a resident members $6000/yr and a social member $500. The BOG voted on all club finances. If the social members all had an equal votes they could decide not to spend money on the basin and docks and just on booze and party’s. Most Chesapeake clubs limit the amount of social members so they remain boating clubs.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #99 of 100 Old 12-23-2019

Dock

Have we mentioned Reciprocal Rights?

My club does have a good reciprocal rights list of some of the best clubs in the world: Royal Yacht Squadron, New York Yacht Club; Newport YC etc etc... but you have to email the Secretary who shoots off an email to the club you want to visit, they respond, then my club sends me an introduction Letter... crikey!

But some clubs have clubs have a stupendously long list of clubs that you roll into, flash your membership card and they chuck out the red carpet.
If you're cruising and the reciprocals are in you path then this could help.

Mark
Arcb likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #100 of 100 Old 12-23-2019 Thread Starter
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Have we mentioned Reciprocal Rights?...

Mark
A few members of my little sailing club have flashed our membership card in some high-end yacht clubs and sat at the bar with well-known Americas Cup sailors.

At other clubs they couldn't buy a drink.

I've found reciprocity sometimes depends on how the bartender is feeling at the time and how well you are dressed.

One club on the Chesapeake dropped their CBYCA membership after offering reciprocity to another member club whose members didn't act at their bar in accordance with club rules. They decided they didn't want to deal with it at all.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Last edited by Donna_F; 12-23-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in