Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

Re: Joining Sailing/Boating and Yacht Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Not sure I can relate to any of that, but certainly my experience is a bit different than this....the marina my boat is currently in has about 300 boats, and probably half belong to middle class folks.....I certainly dont' know everyone there but the folks I do know are electricians, plumbers, welders, an ICU nurse, teachers, retired navy and air force, and some folks who work at the port. Definitely not an upper 10% scene!
I think you may not realize what it takes to be in the top 10%. If one has any equity in their house and a decent 401k, they are very likely in the top 10%. Let alone a boat. For starters, do you realize the bottom 50% of the population have nearly zero to negative net worth. That doesn't mean a great deal don't have jobs. Most still feed themselves and pay rent, but they don't have any net assets. If anyone owns a boat, of any kind, they are doing relatively well. The bottom half is getting worse, the top half is getting better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Not sure I can relate to any of that, but certainly my experience is a bit different than this....the marina my boat is currently in has about 300 boats, and probably half belong to middle class folks.....I certainly dont' know everyone there but the folks I do know are electricians, plumbers, welders, an ICU nurse, teachers, retired navy and air force, and some folks who work at the port. Definitely not an upper 10% scene!
The yacht club I belong to and my current marina with 160 slips were not upper crust people. And we’re like your marina.c
bigdogandy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #23 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

I do have a pretty good understanding of the economic realities of today’s American society.....wasn’t really commenting on that, just the fact that not all marinas are for the “wealthy”.....

I haven’t spent much time in New England but I would guess the scene there is similar to what I observed in my time South Florida - it is dominated by the wealthy in the marinas near the cities. But when you get outside of the heavily populated areas and zones of concentrated wealth you’ll find lots of marinas filled with average joes that enjoy time in the water just as much as the upper crusters.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

post #24 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

With regards to declining membership possibly leading to eventual financial collapse of some yacht clubs. This may not be entirely a bad thing. This happened to a yacht club near me. The members, rather than pay the increaseing maintenance costs, donated the land to the Conservation Authority of which I am a member, for the grand fee of $50/year. The Conservation Authority runs 5 such facilities.

The former yacht club facility has a ; public boat launch, public dock, picnic shelter, toilets, charcoal bbqs and a few km of hiking trails. The conservation authority maintains these facilities through parking, launch and membership fees (members get unlimited parking and boat launching). The conservation authority is doing just fine and lots of people of all ages use the launch, picnic facility and beach.

The former yacht club did have 1 major Regatta per year. Volunteers still run the regatta (a large vintage power boat race). Competitors in the race just pay a small fee to enter the race.

The problem it seems, wasn't that people weren't interested in using the waterfront land for watersports, it was they didn't want to spend the money and time required to maintain ageing yacht club facilities
eherlihy and SanderO like this.
post #25 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

Quote:
.....wasn’t really commenting on that, just the fact that not all marinas are for the “wealthy”.........
We are simply defining wealthy differently. According to the majority, if you own a boat, you are wealthy.
bigdogandy likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

Our club has implemented a new fee structure for joining. There are 3 age categories. A 25 year old pays half the amount that a 45 year old would pay.
While dwindling membership has not been a problem, we are trying to be proactive so that it does not become one.
post #27 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
With regards to declining membership possibly leading to eventual financial collapse of some yacht clubs. This may not be entirely a bad thing. This happened to a yacht club near me. The members, rather than pay the increaseing maintenance costs, donated the land to the Conservation Authority of which I am a member, for the grand fee of $50/year. The Conservation Authority runs 5 such facilities.

The former yacht club facility has a ; public boat launch, public dock, picnic shelter, toilets, charcoal bbqs and a few km of hiking trails. The conservation authority maintains these facilities through parking, launch and membership fees (members get unlimited parking and boat launching). The conservation authority is doing just fine and lots of people of all ages use the launch, picnic facility and beach.

The former yacht club did have 1 major Regatta per year. Volunteers still run the regatta (a large vintage power boat race). Competitors in the race just pay a small fee to enter the race.

The problem it seems, wasn't that people weren't interested in using the waterfront land for watersports, it was they didn't want to spend the money and time required to maintain ageing yacht club facilities
That’s one scenario,

The more likely one which has happened a number of times on the Chesapeake.

Club goes bankrupt. Is sold to a developer who builds 100 waterfront condos...with some slips
Arcb likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #28 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

When I bought my last boat it was on the hard at a yacht club for the winter, and i met several members and in the spring dealt with the yard crew for launch . I was asked about joining , read the literature, and looked around . Here's my reason(s) for not joining . One , that club required xx amount of service days , be it spring cleanup. Fall shut down , kitchen duty , setting up etc ..., I live an hour away from the area and work full time , I take care of my house , my barn , cars, shooting hobby, wife and dogs and boat, I don't need another thing to eat up any free time . I pay for a mooring at the boatyard I'm at , I pay my bill and they do the rest , easy peasey . Two the club the boat was at has a Facebook page , after looking it over it was obvious the bulk of members were well north of 65, they're just wasn't enough of a spread of ages for me . And three I'm only on my boat for weekends , and don't desire to socialize much past stopping in the dink to chat with a mooring neighbor for a few minutes so the dinners , meetings , get togethers. Especially the off season ones don't hold any interest for me . That said I hope that club can attract new members and survive , they have a great yard crew , nice docks , shore facilities etc. as aside , when I went to work on the boat one day there when we drove in past the clubhouse and there was a sign for commodore parking , my friend who isnt into boating unless it has twin 500 inch engines looked at me and rolled his eyes and we started laughing and quoting caddyshack lines , sorry to say but to people outside the whole yacht club lifestyle the commodore , admiral monikers seem , cornball ( no offense to those who enjoy the club lifestyle , it's just not for me )
SanderO, bigdogandy and Arcb like this.
post #29 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

For me it is a factor of distance, cost, time, but more important than all that is'feel'.
Now remember that I have a trailer sailer, that lives in my yard when I'm not using her. I'm about 1.5 hrs from the nearest club, and about an hour from the nearest ramp. The ramp at the club is not great for MY needs, as it's too steep. Cost is prohibitive, $150 initiation and $100/yr. Time: I'd rather just be on the water.
Finally, when I was talking my ASA101, on the last day my wife was waiting in the parking lot. Some old curmudgeon took it upon himself to berate her for parking there and taking up space that should be reserved for members. Congrats jackass, you've guaranteed that this family won't be joining your club. In general, I felt like the people at the club saw us as Interlopers, only tolerating our presence because the school gives them a cut of the tuition.
If said curmudgeon (and others) had indicated that we would be welcome I may well have joined.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
post #30 of 100 Old 12-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosdad View Post
When I bought my last boat it was on the hard at a yacht club for the winter, and i met several members and in the spring dealt with the yard crew for launch . I was asked about joining , read the literature, and looked around . Here's my reason(s) for not joining . One , that club required xx amount of service days , be it spring cleanup. Fall shut down , kitchen duty , setting up etc ..., I live an hour away from the area and work full time , I take care of my house , my barn , cars, shooting hobby, wife and dogs and boat, I don't need another thing to eat up any free time . I pay for a mooring at the boatyard I'm at , I pay my bill and they do the rest , easy peasey . Two the club the boat was at has a Facebook page , after looking it over it was obvious the bulk of members were well north of 65, they're just wasn't enough of a spread of ages for me . And three I'm only on my boat for weekends , and don't desire to socialize much past stopping in the dink to chat with a mooring neighbor for a few minutes so the dinners , meetings , get togethers. Especially the off season ones don't hold any interest for me . That said I hope that club can attract new members and survive , they have a great yard crew , nice docks , shore facilities etc. as aside , when I went to work on the boat one day there when we drove in past the clubhouse and there was a sign for commodore parking , my friend who isnt into boating unless it has twin 500 inch engines looked at me and rolled his eyes and we started laughing and quoting caddyshack lines , sorry to say but to people outside the whole yacht club lifestyle the commodore , admiral monikers seem , cornball ( no offense to those who enjoy the club lifestyle , it's just not for me )
So most places the Commodore is a position you achieve after going up the line three years. Usually a strictly volunteer position , in fact you loose because the uniforms cost a penny. Also you spend a lot of time at the club for meetings. An assigned parking spot isn’t really that much to offer is it?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in