Rules regarding long term anchoring/mooring - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 Old 12-17-2019

Re: Rules regarding long term anchoring/mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
.... I always leave an anchor alarm running with a recording line to show everywhere Iíve swung.
no way?

I can see leaving the plotter running.... the track will show where the boats been swinging.... or dragging to. I leave it on for hours until I am comfortable that no dragging has occurred.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 Old 12-17-2019

When im confident i am set, i turn it off.
When a big blow comes i might use it again.
For me, its batt use...and i set tightish radius to learn my pattern
post #23 of 47 Old 12-17-2019

Dock

The track route function on the Navionics app on my cell phone does the same thing.....and itís nice to be able to check to see if the anchor is dragging without dragging myself out of my bunk to go look at the chartplotter....
chef2sail likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

post #24 of 47 Old 12-17-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I use Drag Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #25 of 47 Old 12-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Hold on here

The OP hasnít mentioned his boat.....just his pier

Bad advice .....you cannot TOUCH his boat or his tackle or thatís actually trespassing.
Since the water is 41 degrees now, I doubt your going to get wet, so donít touch this boaters set up.

Follow through with talking to the boat owner. Thatís your best course of action.

Iíve kept my boat in AA County for 22 years.
a. Yes, you are right, he didn't mention the boat.

b. No, I did not mention touching his anchor tackle or his boat, I said investigate. And getting wet is not a big deal if you dress for it. I wouldn't think much of it, if it was important to me.

c. Once he has touched the pier, that is prima facia evidence he is dragging. He is also trespassing at that point. Salvage rules probably apply, but for certain involving local law enforcement is appropriate. What is legal and prudent will depend on many factors (wind, damage, likely future). But you may be stuck with a junk boat at that point. Which is the reason for "b;" to determine if there is a serious situation.

Once a boat is provably dragging, I'm not so sure touching it is trespass. It is out of control and about to become a hazard.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #26 of 47 Old 12-17-2019

Hopefully he will get back to us on the results of either contacting the owner or LE.

There is a constant ďbattleĒ between owners of property on many of the small creeks and people anchoring in front of their land property.

My friends and I have had numerous encounters from homeowners who have either called out from their banks or come out in a kayak or dinghy asking is our intentions after we have anchored. We of course donít try and get within a resasonable proximity and prefer not being close, however sometimes circumstances dictate us anchoring safely but the landowner not understanding and making a fuss.

For some reason they believe we are ruining their view. Itís not like we are a nuisance but they feel they spent a lot of money for the house with a view and that means a boat anchored in front ruins it. Like I posted earlier a few we have seen have gone so far as putting fake moorings in front of their properties.

Of course to a transient they will ignore the area, but to some else who passes by never seeing a boat on the mooring is a tell tale to its purpose.

Hopefully this poster does not fit this description. Time will tell whether he gives us a report.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #27 of 47 Old 12-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
... My friends and I have had numerous encounters from homeowners who have either called out from their banks or come out in a kayak or dinghy asking is our intentions after we have anchored....
Me too, always in the Broad Creek area. I've been asked to move when I was 50-100 feet from a dock. Once I did, because I had decided I did not like the location anyway. The other I did not, because there was a storm starting to rumble. Other times, as you say, I was only asked whether I was staying. I smiled and gave a non-committal answer.
chef2sail likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #28 of 47 Old 12-18-2019

Broad Creek , Magothy?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #29 of 47 Old 12-18-2019

I suppose if anchored (too) close a homeowner may feel:

loss/invasion of privacy
concern for the dock or bulkhead
their view has been spoiled
navigation issues with their own boat

Moving a bit further may or may not mitigate their concerns.

How close is too close and what is a reasonable distance?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #30 of 47 Old 12-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
no way?

I can see leaving the plotter running.... the track will show where the boats been swinging.... or dragging to. I leave it on for hours until I am comfortable that no dragging has occurred.
Yes way. My anchor alarm is an iPad app, so I donít need to leave the plotter on. I will also take a screen pic, when I feel I may need to show exactly where I was at any point in time. The screen shows date and time.

My old iPad app, which is longer longer supported, would allow me connect to my iPad aboard, from my cell phone ashore, and see the swing lines. My latest app will simply send my an alarm, if the boat drags outside a zone that I customize.

The tech should be a backup to proper anchoring, but itís darn cool.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in