Rules regarding long term anchoring/mooring - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 Old 12-18-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Rules regarding long term anchoring/mooring

We like our space so we try and anchor off by ourselves.
Many times we anchor “inside” other deeper draft boats because with our CB up we draw 4’6”.
We always ask what others have down But we’ve gotten stares by anchoring closer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 12-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Broad Creek , Magothy?
Off the Choptank.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #43 of 47 Old 12-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Off the Choptank.
That’s interesting as we got hassled once for anchoring in Edgar Cove there as one of the landowners came by and asked if we were staying the night while we were grilling dinner.

I said we were and he “suggested “ we move further up the creeek, which we declined.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #44 of 47 Old 12-19-2019

Quote:
That’s interesting as we got hassled once for anchoring in Edgar Cove there as one of the landowners came by and asked if we were staying the night while we were grilling dinner.

I said we were and he “suggested “ we move further up the creek, which we declined.
Yes, there! Probably the same cranky-pants. Did he offer any reason? In my case, I gather he thought I was too close to his dock, but as you know, that whole area can get congested in high season. I did move a few hours later, but only to move somewhere quieter (Baby Owl Cove).

Also Balls Creek. Similar, though no crowding. I think we were just blocking his view. There was a massive thunderstorm just minutes away and I had two anchors dug in. I had no intention of moving, but I just smiled.

(I had a PDQ 34 cruising cat at the time)

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #45 of 47 Old 12-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Yes, there! Probably the same cranky-pants. Did he offer any reason? In my case, I gather he thought I was too close to his dock, but as you know, that whole area can get congested in high season. I did move a few hours later, but only to move somewhere quieter (Baby Owl Cove).

Also Balls Creek. Similar, though no crowding. I think we were just blocking his view. There was a massive thunderstorm just minutes away and I had two anchors dug in. I had no intention of moving, but I just smiled.

(I had a PDQ 34 cruising cat at the time)
He said he did now want to be disturbed or have anyone throwing trash in the water. He was just being a PIA.

This opposed to when we anchor off of former VP Chaneys house. His wife came out with him on the dinghy one day and asked about the name on our boat as we like anchoring there. Very nice people. Next time we anchored there, she baked some choc chip cookies and sent them out with their grandson. We always waved to them.
They sold their house last summer.

I’m certainly not a good speller to be correcting someone.....but on most maps it’s Boby Owl Cove. Another of our favorite Choptank spots

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-19-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #46 of 47 Old 12-19-2019

Quote:

If 50 ft is the closest it comes, 50ft really isn’t that close to prevent access to you to be honest . There are some creeks on the Chesapeake where the anchorage is close to shore. Which creek are you on?
In our area of shallow private docks, the harbor ordinance calls for 150’ separation of moored boats from land or structures (e.g., docks). That was intended to allow for maneuvering room, such as turning around, at a dock. It was also intended to provide a minimum buffer for boat activities in waterfront residential areas.
post #47 of 47 Old 12-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
In our area of shallow private docks, the harbor ordinance calls for 150’ separation of moored boats from land or structures (e.g., docks). That was intended to allow for maneuvering room, such as turning around, at a dock. It was also intended to provide a minimum buffer for boat activities in waterfront residential areas.
There is no law/ rule like that on the Chesapeake. I would estimate if we had that restriction , there would be very very few anchoring possible on many of the Creeks. 150 ft from either bank would mean any boat with A 7:1 scope would only be able to anchor in 10 ft of water in an area which would have to be at least 400ft wide, and then you’d be anchoring in the center of the creek which most don’t want to do.

One of the big differences between the Chessie and the LI Sound where you are is the huge number of smaller creeks to anchor in. In fact most people do anchor in them

I will repost the only restriction.

Moorings shall be placed in such a position that the area encompassed by the arc of the swing does not extend more than one-third the open water distance from the mean high water line on one shore to the mean high water line on the opposite shore. Also, the arc of the swing must not impede or obstruct access to the land of any riparian property owner, the access and proper use of any public access point, or otherwise hinder the orderly access to and use of waterways by the general public.

We haven’t heard back from the OP. The jury is out on this until we find out if he took the effort to contact the owner of the boat.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-19-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in