Hull Insulation Paint - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter

Hull Insulation Paint

I have the interior gutted, and had a recommendation from a professional marine coatings guy to use a ceramic latex hull insulation paint.

Apparently it's applied with an airless sprayer in three coats, with a total build-up to ~30 mils.

He mentioned that it also helps controls condensation and provide sound deadening.

Condensation control is my main objective with any coating, after protection of the raw hull.

I'm attaching two spec sheets from the product, and a link to the manufacturers website

The stuff certainly sounds excellent, but seems to be primarily used in on commercial vessels.

Have any of you had any experience with this?

Thoughts?

Manfacturer Website: Marine | Advanced Coating Solutions
Attached Thumbnails
SpecSheet2.png   SpecSheet1.png  

Last edited by Kielanders; 12-16-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-16-2019

Re: Hull Insulation Paint

All those marketed to consumers for automotive use (NASA, bubbles) have turned out to be of insignificant value for thermal insulation compared to any amount of foam sprayed on the inside.

But then I never came across it being applied to gain that much thickness.

So I won't naysay it out of hand, but remain skeptical by default.

If convincing reports don't emerge here, my next steps would be actual testing with a sample sprayed around a sheet metal box

or talking to past customers.
Kielanders likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-16-2019

Oh, looked back for the thickness.

"30 mil" is not 30mm.

So my skepticism has increased by the same proportion.

A professional spray job on the hull's interior will provide actual thermal insulation.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Oh, looked back for the thickness.

"30 mil" is not 30mm.

So my skepticism has increased by the same proportion.

A professional spray job on the hull's interior will provide actual thermal insulation.
Yeah, it's 30 mils, and I have trouble seeing how much R value that would have, assuming one even uses the concept of R Value in a marine environment.

However, if it was enough to moderate condensation, it would still be of interest to me.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kielanders; 12-16-2019 at 01:01 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-16-2019

Hypothetically, if condensation were reduced an average of 20%, would the extra cost of the special coating be worth it to you?
Kielanders likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-16-2019
Master Mariner

I believe the prep for a paint job like that would be prohibitively expensive and/or time consuming. If some coating like that was of value in this application, I would assume it would be an option when ordering a new boat, especially in the top of the line boats. If I were going to do something like that I'd research neoprene/hypalon in paint form, which I used for a deck coating on a boat. Worked very well.
Kielanders likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 11 Old 12-16-2019

Ceramic paint has been around for ten or twenty years now. It's supposed to work, surprisingly.

Generally, I don't like paint on a boat, because paint eventually chips, peels, etc, and needs to be redone. Imagine the nightmare of having to redo it. I'd research how long it lasts.
SanderO and Kielanders like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Ceramic paint has been around for ten or twenty years now. It's supposed to work, surprisingly.

Generally, I don't like paint on a boat, because paint eventually chips, peels, etc, and needs to be redone. Imagine the nightmare of having to redo it. I'd research how long it lasts.
90% of it will be concealed when the new interior goes in. I sanded down to glass whatever 40 year old paint was used when the boat was made, and am in the process of installing the 7 new bulkheads.

I assumed the exposed glass should be coated, and was going to use a chlorinated rubber paint made by Pettit, which I understand has been around a long time and has a good track record for a variety of applications.

I did notice while doing the sanding, that the parts that remained painted either did not condensate, or condensated significantly less than the unpainted portions - so my thinking was that at least some sort of coating is necessary.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I believe the prep for a paint job like that would be prohibitively expensive and/or time consuming. If I were going to do something like that I'd research neoprene/hypalon in paint form, which I used for a deck coating on a boat. Worked very well.
It was, and dirty too!

Thanks for the tip on the neoprene/hypalon.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Hypothetically, if condensation were reduced an average of 20%, would the extra cost of the special coating be worth it to you?
He hasn't sent me the quote yet, but I'll let you know.

When I was sanding down the interior, I noticed a significant difference in condensation on the painted vs. unpainted portions - so I'm convinced I ought to have something, just maybe not top of the line technology.

He's a nice guy and well thought of, and he knows I don't have a status 'yacht', so we'll see where the numbers land.

Last edited by Kielanders; 12-16-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in