Boats of the Year - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-17-2019 Thread Starter
Lake Sailor

Boats of the Year

Cruising World & Sail magazines have their pics for 2019. Pretty much the same boats between them. Personally, I have been eyeing the Oceanis 30.1 since it came out. Just need a spare $160K...

https://www.cruisingworld.com/boat-of-the-year-2020/

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/best-boats-2020

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-18-2019

Re: Boats of the Year

Iíve always been a little suspect of how this choice is made. Do they even consider manufacturers that may not advertise in the periodical? Would they ever be all that critical of a major sponsor?

This may be unwarranted cynicism.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-18-2019 Thread Starter
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Iíve always been a little suspect of how this choice is made. Do they even consider manufacturers that may not advertise in the periodical? Would they ever be all that critical of a major sponsor?

This may be unwarranted cynicism.

What boats do you believe are better than those chosen? From personal experience? Just looking in to what your reasoning is.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

post #4 of 10 Old 12-18-2019

It wouldnít matter what boats Iíd been aboard in the past. This is a question of all of this years models. I canít expand upon my point any further than I did above. Itís a suspicion of a conflict of interest. At least the appearance of one. It doesnít mean the choice is a bad boat, I only question how they get to it. I could be cynically wrong, as I said.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-18-2019

My somewhat vague understanding is that manufacturers self-nominate their boats for inclusion in the judging. IIRC, Cruising World especially looks at a lot of boats. One of the limiting factors appears to be that the boats have to be new models for that year. That excludes the grand majority of boats produced.

As for how "honest" the judging is, it seems self-evident that the magazines are not overly critical. But remember, they're featuring the boats they see as the best, so there shouldn't be major flaws in the design or construction. One would hope that a rat's nest of wiring or visible voids would knock the boat out of the running. And the only boats that get more than a few sentences are the winners. Based on that alone, I wouldn't be using the write ups on any of the boats as the equivalent of a Consumer Reports or Practical Sailor article. The BOTY reviews sure look to be more in depth than the regular reviews, with multiple judges aboard each boat.

Having said that, the magazines' editorial slant on boat reviews are more evident in the monthly editions. And those are clearly handled with kid gloves. I don't think I've ever seen more than one less than favorable reference to a boat feature in any one article; and even those seem to be tempered.

It seems to me that the reviewers are honest people making valid observations within the very limited circumstances they are given. They don't spend more than a few hours aboard, and they can't judge how the boat sails or handles in anything other than the conditions that exist then and there (most reviews seem to take place in very light winds for some reason). The reviewer doesn't get a chance to look at anything in depth or under stress. In short, most of these reviews wind up sounding like infomercials. When reading a review, I can tell within the first paragraph if it's going to be more of the same old, same old. If so, I skip it. But every great once in a while, you get an actual enthusiastic review. Those I read. I can't remember the boat, but one recent reviewer was raving, and I mean raving, about the sailing characteristics of the boat.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-18-2019

Minnewaska,

I don't think you are cynically wrong. Your remark reminds me of PBS News coverage of the Deepwater Horizon accident in 2010. BP was a sponsor of PBS news. Then they weren't. PBS maybe got a little too truthy.

Last edited by 22catcapri; 12-18-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: didn't ident to whom responding
post #7 of 10 Old 12-20-2019

The problem i see with reviews per say.......All are good boats, but the how they are split up, ea year has different divisions, ie 30-40' this year, 30-35 last year with a 36-50........
But I do agree with the, the boat must be reasonably substantially different than last years model.
Some have won, that have very little advertising in a given rag. IE some of the dinghy style boats. CW has literally no advertising of daysailor style dinghy boats. So advertising can not really effect the choice(s) of this catagory as much as say a company like Jeanneau, Beneteau, Oyster, Amel et tal, that have full page add or two every month.

Some cases, I would swag it is best not to make BOTY, as some have failed miserably. Other than from the judges standpoint.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #8 of 10 Old 12-20-2019

Not sure that I am a fan of those giant windows in the side of the hull. Will they be leaking in 12 years? What will be the concentration of forces at the edge of those rectangular openings over time? I predict some cracks forming. Especially with the proximity to the chainplates.

post #9 of 10 Old 12-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMarks View Post
Not sure that I am a fan of those giant windows in the side of the hull. Will they be leaking in 12 years? What will be the concentration of forces at the edge of those rectangular openings over time? I predict some cracks forming. Especially with the proximity to the chainplates.

Very Ikea.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-21-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob the 1st View Post
Very Ikea.
Spend an extra $1 million for a timber fit out.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in