GPS Tracking and Mapping - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-21-2019 Thread Starter

GPS Tracking and Mapping

I will be doing my passage southwards in a couple of weeks and will be able to send and receive e-mails while underway (using the SSB and a Pactor modem connected to sailmail). I'd like to have others follow my track on a map online while underway with a couple of updates a day. The only method that immediately springs to mind is using a SPOT device, but I don't want to purchase that hardware and software subscription.

Can anyone think of existing packages out there in the web that could do this?

I could embed a google maps with a track on my website, but would have to write some code for an e-mail listener that automatically updates the web page and I don't feel like going to that extent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-21-2019

Dock
Re: GPS Tracking and Mapping

Without being stupid... How about writing an app to do this that also distributes it to Facebook, Twitter etc. And making some money.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 21 Old 12-21-2019

use

https://forecast.predictwind.com

It has a tracking and logging feature and shows weather!

I followed a sistership sv Oyster from LIS to FL... more to come!

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...splay/SVOyster

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 12-21-2019 at 09:29 AM.

post #4 of 21 Old 12-21-2019

There is inreach.

I am not sure how you will get an app to do what you want without some kind of GPS transmitting to satellite though?

SPOTs aren't as pricey as they seem. They pretty much always have a promotion on that makes them affordable. I got mine at %50 off both the device and the subscription on a regular SPOT promotion and it already does everything you describe at the push of a button. Anyone with the link can track you or you can upload directly to facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20191101-173741_Samsung Internet.jpg  
Donna_F likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-21-2019 Thread Starter

Mark - I was certain that there would be several apps out there already that do this. Technically it isn't that difficult to write an e-mail autoresponder that updates a google maps track, the autoresponder technology has been around since the first e-mail systems.
SanderO - the first link just got me to a login page, but the second link does look pretty cool, it does look like they require a satellite GPS device, though.
Arcb - hmm.. if both the device and a subscription are at 50% of list it does become a viable alternative for both the fun factor of those following a trip and as a backup to the other safety gear (EPIRB, SSB, Iridium)

post #6 of 21 Old 12-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Mark - I was certain that there would be several apps out there already that do this. Technically it isn't that difficult to write an e-mail autoresponder that updates a google maps track, the autoresponder technology has been around since the first e-mail systems.
SanderO - the first link just got me to a login page, but the second link does look pretty cool, it does look like they require a satellite GPS device, though.
Arcb - hmm.. if both the device and a subscription are at 50% of list it does become a viable alternative for both the fun factor of those following a trip and as a backup to the other safety gear (EPIRB, SSB, Iridium)
Zan.... I don't know the technical requirements for PredictWinds tracking. But it was a good interface for me to follow Scott. I think he has some sort of sat phone subscription. He's a member here. PM him... or message me and I'll give you his email.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 21 Old 12-21-2019
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
There is inreach.

I am not sure how you will get an app to do what you want without some kind of GPS transmitting to satellite though?

SPOTs aren't as pricey as they seem. They pretty much always have a promotion on that makes them affordable. I got mine at %50 off both the device and the subscription on a regular SPOT promotion and it already does everything you describe at the push of a button. Anyone with the link can track you or you can upload directly to facebook.
This past fall when my SPOT subscription was due to expire, I called to cancel. Mostly because the annual subscription cost had tripled since I first bought it. The CS guy asked me "what price would you feel is reasonable so we can keep you?" I named a price (higher than the first year I had it but less than the rate that caused me to want to cancel) and he said fine. So I stayed.

Our families enjoy being able to track us.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-21-2019 Thread Starter

Unless I find a quick and easy alternate method, it does sound like SPOT is the way to go.

post #9 of 21 Old 12-21-2019

You can even take your SPOT in your dinghy, if people split up to go ashore. The person not in the dinghy can track from their phone.

I use the SPOT for day sails. Most Sundays I will take the kids out sailing and my wife can track our progress on her phone while she's out and about. It gives her an idea of when to pick us up, or how long we are going to be out for.
SanderO likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 12-21-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-21-2019

When I was galavanting around the globe I'd send a postcard every 3 weeks or so.
Donna_F, SanderO and Minnesail like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in