NO PFDs - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 Old 12-24-2019
Old soul

Re: NO PFDs

I'm interested in those immersion suits as well OB. Love to see where I can acquire them at a reasonable cost. I've thought they might be a valuable addition to our cold water cruising.

ADD: Or those inexpensive Goretex dry suits Arcb?

My protection against the cold involves decent, mid-range foulies. They are by no means immersion suits, but they do offer decent protection for cold water cruising.

I've always stayed away from wearing heavy suits in my cold water canoeing, sea kayaking, and now sailing. I've found I get way too hot in heavy, more water-proof, material. And I feel way to constricted. But I admit, I have never been able to afford the really good stuff.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 12-24-2019

Mike,

Level 6 has a pretty good sale on righ now.

Made in Canada too (Ottawa). Good gear.

https://www.levelsix.com/collections...rance-drysuits

Last edited by Arcb; 12-24-2019 at 09:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (12-24-2019)
post #33 of 51 Old 12-24-2019

On your link called work suit. $435. Seen them at Gone Bananas for just over $200US.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #34 of 51 Old 12-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
On your link called work suit. $435. Seen them at Gone Bananas for just over $200US.
Show us the link.

Really, weird one-time clearance deals don't count. I bought my last Goretex rainsuit for $25. But I can't direct you to that deal because it is gone. You can buy just about anything at any price if you are the right place at the right time.

Yes, you can generally find dry suits on clearance around $500. $200 I doubt.

You can find float suits for cold water at that price (Fladen on E-bay). They are not drysuits, but they are widely used in Europe. They are ISO but not USCG rated. A good deal, but not the same thing. No harness.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #35 of 51 Old 12-24-2019
Administrator

Its funny, I never thought about drysuits and was unaware of float suits or immersion suits. Thank you everyone for bringing those to my attention.

On the subject of inflatables in cold weather, I decided to do some additional research about the subject and called Mustang (who made my most recent set of hydrostatic Type 5's.). I spoke with a tech. rep. who said that there was definitely a temperature at which their inflatables will not function properly. Mustang is currently doing testing to determine what that temperature actually is but the person suggested that it is lower than freezing temps.

Mustang sent me the following statement in an email;
"Please note that cold weather adversely affects the operation of PFDs. While the CO2 cartridge will fully inflate your vest most of the year, in extremely cold temperatures the same amount of gas will not expand to the same volume, reducing the vestís buoyancy. We recommend using a foam vest in these conditions."

Based on the conversation with the Mustang rep., it was clear that while a literal temperature of 32 F would not cause an inflatable to fail to fully inflate, there definitely is a temperature where using an inflatable is discouraged.

But as long as i am in crow eating mode, I also realized that I have a rule that I don't go out sailing if the temps are below 38-40 F or so since I am concerned with icing on the decks if the temps drop. I hindsight it occurred to me that would certainly color my view of things.

Jeff
22catcapri likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #36 of 51 Old 12-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Isn't $435CD about $200USD now? If not, just wait a bit...

Mark
Arcb likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #37 of 51 Old 12-24-2019

Found a pic that shows how my dry suit, foam vest and harness all kind of work together. The dry suit is an Ocean Rodeo. I got it on special at the Toronto boat show for about $380 Canadian.

With dry suits, warmth comes from layering underneath. I use wool base layer and synthetic mid layers. I can wear my dry suit in some pretty warm weather if I skip the layering. Like with the floater suit above, you can wear whatever footwear you like. I generally go with a neoprene booty but sometimes go with crocs or even steel toed Sorels.
Attached Thumbnails
hanging out.jpg  

Last edited by Arcb; 12-24-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #38 of 51 Old 12-25-2019 Thread Starter

Now that I'm back home and have read the whole thread I started, I'll add that on the last day of the delivery it was blowing like stink (saw a gust to 49!) and raining pretty hard. Still, came through one of the canals where it was calmer and there sat a large jonboat type craft with a duck hunter just sitting there. Pouring down rain. I didn't see a PFD...
And I used to Frostbite my Laser; Drysuit plus a type III PFD and I would float pretty damn high the few times I got launched off the boat. (Think DeathRoll downwind in 25+ knots!)
Still, came through one of the canals where it was calmer and there sat a large jonboat type craft with a duck hunter just sitting there. Pouring down rain. I didn't see a PFD...

Oops, sorry for changing your post, I still haven't gotten use to the mod tools. I think I fixed it
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

CS 36M DIANTHUS

Last edited by Arcb; 12-25-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #39 of 51 Old 12-25-2019

I always tell my guests that the primary use of a life vest is to help you stay afloat if you're injured or otherwise unable to save yourself (cold water, for example). It doesn't matter how well you can swim or how low the chances that you'll enter the water.

If they object, I tell them about my friend whose dad was in a jon boat that kicked hard-over unexpectedly when he was out alone. His boat was found several hours later, and his body was found a few days after that. My friend took the boat out to try to figure out what happened. When he let it run hands free--like someone might if they were preparing fishing gear--it ran straight for a while and then kicked full over and he almost went in. He theorized that his dad had done the same thing, and maybe got injured on the way over. (I actually don't know if he was wearing a PFD, but it's a good example of accidentally going overboard with an injury).
post #40 of 51 Old 12-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Still, came through one of the canals where it was calmer and there sat a large jonboat type craft with a duck hunter just sitting there. Pouring down rain. I didn't see a PFD...
Camo float coat? They are popular with hunters. Floatation and thermal protection in one.

https://www.onyxoutdoor.com/p/realtr...otation-jacket

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in