post #1171 of 1628 Old 03-20-2020

Re: Picture Identification Game

Newport...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1628 Old 03-21-2020

Outdoor bar, at the Oar. WinterRiver has it. I was also looking for New Harbor or Great Salt Pond, but the bar was more important.

This was from the outdoor bar, overlooking the Block Island Boat Basin. Few sailboats take a slip there, as the inside gets shallow, however, you can see all the sticks in the distance on moorings or anchor.

I have memories at the Oar that go back over 40 years. My Dad (80s now) and I still love going and thinking of the times we sailed up from Norwalk or Stamford or over from Fishers Island, when I was young. Back then there was no sushi, no frozen mudslides, no outdoor deck, in fact no windows! It only had shutters that were hinged at the top and held open with a stick. It was just the inside bar and draft beer. I'm not sure they had more than one beer on draft. We try to remember if it was Schaefer or Ballantine. Some parts of the memory are fuzzy.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #1173 of 1628 Old 03-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Outdoor bar, at the Oar. WinterRiver has it. I was also looking for New Harbor or Great Salt Pond, but the bar was more important.

This was from the outdoor bar, overlooking the Block Island Boat Basin. Few sailboats take a slip there, as the inside gets shallow, however, you can see all the sticks in the distance on moorings or anchor.

I have memories at the Oar that go back over 40 years. My Dad (80s now) and I still love going and thinking of the times we sailed up from Norwalk or Stamford or over from Fishers Island, when I was young. Back then there was no sushi, no frozen mudslides, no outdoor deck, in fact no windows! It only had shutters that were hinged at the top and held open with a stick. It was just the inside bar and draft beer. I'm not sure they had more than one beer on draft. We try to remember if it was Schaefer or Ballantine. Some parts of the memory are fuzzy.
Salt Pond became a summer hell of sorts. Loved BI in the shoulder season and went there a lot.... haven't been for years since we moved the summer mooring to NPT. When I moored on the east end it was like a 35nm usually reach / easy enjoyable sail. Less so come from way west.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #1174 of 1628 Old 03-21-2020

Shoulder seasons are still pleasant on Block Island. All of May, June and September.

July and Aug are near intolerable, unless you find a connection to a private mooring, which I did once. That was glorious, as there was no rush to arrive. My step-son really wanted to bring friends to Block for his 30th birthday, so I dug around for someone who knew someone.

There can be the rare mid-summer exception. If the weather is snotty on the way out or back, it can keep some of the stinkpots from going. Also, the weekend just prior to or just after Jul 4th, depending on which day the 4th lands on, can be unusually quiet. Everyone (literally thousands of boats) needs to be there on the 4th, but then bails out.

I will admit, I much prefer MVY, ACK or the Elizabethans.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #1175 of 1628 Old 03-21-2020
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

2 mudslides at the Oar, left side of the bar, Tom was tending bar, Great Salt pond, Block Island 3:24 PM.
Sept 2, 2018 is my best guess.
post #1176 of 1628 Old 03-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
2 mudslides at the Oar, left side of the bar,
Correct. Outside bar to be specific. Can you tell if they were actually made outside or not?

Quote:
Tom was tending bar,
Incorrect. The bartenders outside are generally female. If Tom is the manager, his personality is not cut out for customer service.

Quote:
Great Salt pond, Block Island 3:24 PM.
Sept 2, 2018 is my best guess.
That's pretty creepy. Not out of the question, but I don't know exactly when it was. Given that was a Sunday over Labor Day weekend, it's possible, otherwise, I would not likely be at the bar on Sun afternoon. Why would say that?

Jeanneau 54DS

post #1177 of 1628 Old 03-21-2020

I would guess that the pic is older than 2018, as there are dinghies on the far side of the dock. It's been a while since that was allowed.

I've been trying to post a pic, creating accounts, etc. but nothing is working properly.

I defer to flyrod.
post #1178 of 1628 Old 03-21-2020
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

So, where am I and what am I looking towards
Attached Thumbnails
20180802_121534 (1).jpg  
post #1179 of 1628 Old 03-22-2020

Just to be clear, I declared WinterRiver the winner in post 1172, long before flyrod's creepy post.

You going to give up whether there is some embedded data in the pic? I went back and looked in the chronology of pics around it and it sure looks plausible that is was Labor Day weekend 2018. Can't say for sure.

If WinterRiver isn't going to post a pic, the new one is atop Cuttyhunk, looking north.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #1180 of 1628 Old 03-22-2020
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

Minnie gets this one again, Cuttyhunk with the Elizabeths in the distance. As far as the Oar mudslides goes.... that remains a clairvoyant and creepy mystery you'll just have to ponder.

You're up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in