post #492 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020

Re: Picture Identification Game

Interlude got the second one....

You've got the conch

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #493 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Well we seem to be on a lighthouse theme! Could use a little illuminating on this gloomy rain kinda day!

So here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0922.jpg  

post #494 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020

The conch

Piggy and Ralph find the conch shell just after the crash on the island and Ralph blows into it to alert other survivors. It quickly becomes a symbol for order on the island; during meetings, the boys are only allowed to speak if they are holding the conch. Piggy passionately believes in the power of the conch and when interrupted, states ‘I got the conch…I got a right to speak’. Ralph also had an ‘affectionate reverence’ for the conch.

Jack begins to question the authority of the conch and to reject the notion of each boy having their say during meetings. Admonished by Ralph for interrupting, he shouts: ‘we don’t need the conch any more. We know who ought to say things’. After the boys divide into two factions, Jack sneers at Ralph’s insistence that the conch still determines who is allowed to speak.

Piggy carries the conch with pride as he, Ralph, Sam and Eric go to confront Jack’s tribe about his stolen glasses. Ralph is unsuccessful in his attempt to reason with Jack, so Piggy seizes the ‘white, magic shell’ to shout: ‘which is better – to have rules and agree or to hunt and kill?’ Roger releases the giant rock, which kills Piggy and destroys the conch. The destruction of both Piggy and the conch represents the final loss of order on the island.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #495 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020

Smith Point Lighthouse or Lord of the Flies?

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #496 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
The conch

Piggy and Ralph find the conch shell just after the crash on the island and Ralph blows into it to alert other survivors. It quickly becomes a symbol for order on the island; during meetings, the boys are only allowed to speak if they are holding the conch. Piggy passionately believes in the power of the conch and when interrupted, states ‘I got the conch…I got a right to speak’. Ralph also had an ‘affectionate reverence’ for the conch.

Jack begins to question the authority of the conch and to reject the notion of each boy having their say during meetings. Admonished by Ralph for interrupting, he shouts: ‘we don’t need the conch any more. We know who ought to say things’. After the boys divide into two factions, Jack sneers at Ralph’s insistence that the conch still determines who is allowed to speak.

Piggy carries the conch with pride as he, Ralph, Sam and Eric go to confront Jack’s tribe about his stolen glasses. Ralph is unsuccessful in his attempt to reason with Jack, so Piggy seizes the ‘white, magic shell’ to shout: ‘which is better – to have rules and agree or to hunt and kill?’ Roger releases the giant rock, which kills Piggy and destroys the conch. The destruction of both Piggy and the conch represents the final loss of order on the island.
Wow, been a ton of years since I've read Mr. Golding's book. Probably 9th grade, but if remembered correctly, it is Jack's setting the island on fire that results in them being rescued, as the fire acted as a signal to a British ship. Now how's that for a segue back to the lighthouse picture ID! Hpeer now has the conch.
SanderO likes this.

Last edited by Interlude; 01-18-2020 at 06:08 PM.
post #497 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020

So for my slow response.

I’ll keep with the light house theme but this one is going to be a bit tougher I fear. I’ve sailed around th is one a few times but needed to go there by car to get a good shot. Here are 2 photos, one close up and one showing more of the surrounding area.

Rather bleak
Attached Thumbnails
9CE6EA80-AE12-435C-B02C-085FF6BAECB1.jpeg   1A02F469-2760-454E-8EFE-D6CC7A07BBC1.jpeg  

post #498 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Hmmm......Newfoundland, Cape Norman light? Picture looks like attached to keepers house but the Cape Norman light is not so maybe not. Surrounding bleak landscape sure is the same though!
post #499 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020

Exactly, not so hard as I feared.

It’s your turn Interlude.

post #500 of 1229 Old 01-18-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Just noticed the reply. It's late and I will relinquish the conch to another, though do kinda like the lighthouse theme. A big fan of them and have visited many! Will check back in tomorrow....if no one has a picked it up will tenure another in the morning.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in