Picture Identification Game - Page 52 - SailNet Community
 277Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #511 of 1600 Old 01-19-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Re: Picture Identification Game

Been outside all day and behold, yet another lighthouse. Ur location on the west coast and arid environment pic speaks to Point Conception Lighthouse, Santa Barbara? Otherwise no clue!

My wife is shaking her head, one of the first places we went together was a lighthouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1600 Old 01-19-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Been outside all day and behold, yet another lighthouse. Ur location on the west coast and arid environment pic speaks to Point Conception Lighthouse, Santa Barbara? Otherwise no clue!

My wife is shaking her head, one of the first places we went together was a lighthouse.
Ding ding. Honest to god the most bizarre experience of my life. 25 knot winds, freezing cold and minutes later as we round the cape we are desperate to shed layers and anchoring in glass calm water.

That and I had no idea Vanderberg airforce base was there and the appearance of a shuttle launching facility a half an hour earlier had me slightly dazed

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #513 of 1600 Old 01-19-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Not sure what is more moon like, the Point Conception light, based upon your pictures and an ok knowledge of the climate around Santa Barbara or the Cape Norman light, which i have been to, posted earlier. One thing is for certain, lighthouses tend to be on the edge of the world!

I could keep the lighthouse theme going forever but that may not be the wish of others. I will tenure another iconic lighthouse that if it takes more than 5 minutes to ID it's because no one is looking at it. It was the first lighthouse than my wife and i went to together over 42 years ago. Been to a bunch since. Guess it was a bit more remote then. Heck, the Coast Guard Station, which is no longer in service, was considered remote duty at the time. No longer, but fond memories of sailing there and anchoring in the nice harbor and little or nothing for the NPS docks other than a 14 day limit.
Attached Thumbnails
first.jpeg   second.jpeg  

post #514 of 1600 Old 01-19-2020
HANUMAN

Ocracoke Light.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #515 of 1600 Old 01-19-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Ocracoke Light.
Ocracoke Light was built in Hyde County, on Ocracoke Island, North Carolina in 1823 by Massachusetts builder Noah Porter. The lighthouse stands 75 feet tall. Its diameter narrows from 25 feet at the base to 12 feet at its peak. The lighthouse was built to help guide ships through Ocracoke Inlet into Pamlico Sound.

Almost picked an even more iconic lighthouse, Hatteras Light. We watched the process of moving the entire lighthouse from certain collapse on the oceans edge to it's current location.

post #516 of 1600 Old 01-19-2020
HANUMAN

There are two correct answers for this, I'd like to see someone get them both to call it a win. Yes the photo is tiny and I edited out all the background for a reason, just to make it a bit tougher. Both answers for the win!
Attached Thumbnails
lighthouse.png  

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #517 of 1600 Old 01-19-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Mystic Seaport Light is a lighthouse at the south end of Mystic Seaport, 2 miles upriver from Noank, Connecticut. The light is a two-story white shingled structured topped with a glass-enclosed lantern and is a replica of the 1901 Brant Point Light.

Without background deleted!

Been there more than once! Great town as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mystic.jpeg  
post #518 of 1600 Old 01-20-2020
HANUMAN

Interlude is up. Nicely done.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #519 of 1600 Old 01-20-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Interlude is up. Nicely done.
Morning all. The image is where I will be for the rest of the week and one of the reasons we head up there beside the obvious snow sports is to unplug, not unlike slipping lines and disappearing. Discovered this thread well into it's existence and have been having all the fun with the current lighthouse theme. Guess y'all have noticed my interest in such! Anyway am going to bow out of the next ID as it would not be fair for any responders since will not be online to check.

....though anyone that wishes to ID my location will promise to confirm or no when I return!

As have said before, y'all are the best!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0795.jpg  
post #520 of 1600 Old 01-20-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Morning all. The image is where I will be for the rest of the week and one of the reasons we head up there beside the obvious snow sports is to unplug, not unlike slipping lines and disappearing. Discovered this thread well into it's existence and have been having all the fun with the current lighthouse theme. Guess y'all have noticed my interest in such! Anyway am going to bow out of the next ID as it would not be fair for any responders since will not be online to check.

....though anyone that wishes to ID my location will promise to confirm or no when I return!

As have said before, y'all are the best!
invalid... images supposed to be marine locations... Lock him up

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in