What do you actually need on a boat? - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 109 Old 01-05-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: What do you actually need on a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post

Kinda ironic that a thread entitled "What do you actually need on a boat?" has now moved onto discussion about ice cream makers. No one needs an ice cream maker -- not on land and certainly not on a boat.
Spend a summer in July on the Chesapeake, while not a necessity......why not

Some of the small ones I’m researching are manual and the only think which goes in the evaporator is the ss metal drum. Should fit in my evaporator easily. Only makes a pint at a time, but might be a great alternative to the ice fruit smoothies the ninja makes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 109 Old 01-05-2020
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Spend a summer in July on the Chesapeake, while not a necessity......why not...
I'm sure would be great. Heck, I loves me cold beer, and that's not "needed" either.

Just sayin' how funny it is that a thread asking about what one actually needs has evolved into a discussion about ice cream makers. We're definitely into "first world problem" territory .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #73 of 109 Old 01-05-2020

For us ice cream is a big deal. Although our freezer makes everything else rock hard it has trouble with ice cream. Ours is a water cooled dual frigiboat set up. Water temperatures are quite warm down here and we like having the compressors shut off as frequently as possible. No issue with the frig set at 38F but unless we let the freezer go up to a setting of 22 to 24F it won’t shut off.
When the freezer is chock full we can keep ice cream and bring the temp down to even as low as 12F. When it’s more than half empty we get ice cream slush. What’s strange is everything else stays rock hard frozen. My suspicion is ice cream is a complex emulsion and veggies, meat or other stuff freezes at a higher temperature. Even 24 is enough.
Have gotten partial to nutmeg ice cream. That with hot fudge and whip cream is yummy. Good excuse to leave the boat.
Have been told to add air coolers to the water coolers on the frigoboats. Expensive. So wonder if anyone has done this and is it worthwhile. Ice cream is a want not need.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #74 of 109 Old 01-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
For us ice cream is a big deal. Although our freezer makes everything else rock hard it has trouble with ice cream. Ours is a water cooled dual frigiboat set up. Water temperatures are quite warm down here and we like having the compressors shut off as frequently as possible. No issue with the frig set at 38F but unless we let the freezer go up to a setting of 22 to 24F it won’t shut off.
When the freezer is chock full we can keep ice cream and bring the temp down to even as low as 12F. When it’s more than half empty we get ice cream slush. What’s strange is everything else stays rock hard frozen. My suspicion is ice cream is a complex emulsion and veggies, meat or other stuff freezes at a higher temperature. Even 24 is enough.
Have gotten partial to nutmeg ice cream. That with hot fudge and whip cream is yummy. Good excuse to leave the boat.
Have been told to add air coolers to the water coolers on the frigoboats. Expensive. So wonder if anyone has done this and is it worthwhile. Ice cream is a want not need.
Ice cream storage needs zero degrees. Tempered for serving at 10-15 degrees.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
pbmonk (02-06-2020)
post #75 of 109 Old 01-05-2020

Quote:
I'm sure would be great. Heck, I loves me cold beer, and that's not "needed" either.

Just sayin' how funny it is that a thread asking about what one actually needs has evolved into a discussion about ice cream makers. We're definitely into "first world problem" territory .
As some said in u tube thread ...2017 sailor

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #76 of 109 Old 01-05-2020
Sailor

I usually sail to Oxford for ice cream
post #77 of 109 Old 01-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
I usually sail to Oxford for ice cream
Me too great ice cream parlour there

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #78 of 109 Old 01-19-2020

Quote:
Whats with the avoidance of a windlass? My back loves my windlass. It does take 30 minutes of maintenance time each year, so isn't for slackers.
It really isn't for slackers indeed.

That's why I don't slack in bringing my Fenix E12 EDC flashlight I found at
, if I don't have it with me I'd feel uncomfortable.
post #79 of 109 Old 02-06-2020
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hales57357 View Post
There are few aspects about living on a boat:

Cost of living
Living simply
Less clutter
Living green
Sun rises and sun set
I like it because it forces a certainly frugality. Small space, less places to fill with unnecessary junk. Less in general.
hpeer and Minnesail like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #80 of 109 Old 02-06-2020

Quote:
I like it because it forces a certainly frugality. Small space, less places to fill with unnecessary junk. Less in general.
Less to FIX!!!

I’ve quite enough already thank you.
MikeOReilly likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in