What do you actually need on a boat? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 109 Old 02-06-2020
bell ringer

Re: What do you actually need on a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Less to FIX!!!

Iíve quite enough already thank you.
You have got to be kidding! Ive lived on my boat now 41 months and there are a lot more boat fixing than there ever was house fixing.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 109 Old 02-06-2020
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
You have got to be kidding! Ive lived on my boat now 41 months and there are a lot more boat fixing than there ever was house fixing.
I think this is exactly Hpeer's point (although he can speak for himself, of course). The simpler the boat, the less to fix. Maybe you need a simpler boat .

Or perhaps more accurately, it depends on which house, and which boat.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 109 Old 02-07-2020
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I think this is exactly Hpeer's point (although he can speak for himself, of course). The simpler the boat, the less to fix. Maybe you need a simpler boat .

Or perhaps more accurately, it depends on which house, and which boat.
Been down the ďwhat makes a boat simpleĒ rabbit hole. It doesn't exist except in the mind of posters.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

post #84 of 109 Old 02-07-2020

Don,

ďSimpleĒ maybe ďNo.Ē.

But simpler? Sure.
MikeOReilly likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #85 of 109 Old 02-07-2020
Administrator

I have to agree that simpler is often in the mind of the beholder, but I also have to agree that within reason the simpler the boat, the easier it is maintain.

In my mind, there is always a balancing act between reducing maintenance through reducing the size of the boat and the amount and complexity of equipment, vs. diminishing the ease of operations and comfort of the boat. I tend towards the simpler and more spartan since I am not a big fan of maintenance in large part because I do a lot of it myself and tend to be too strapped for cash to pay others to do it for me. I lean towards expending more physical effort to sail, and using mechanical devices to increase mechanical advantage, over motorized and electronic devices, all of which seem to have ridiculously short lives. I purposely bought a boat with a displacement in a range that I knew that I could physically manhandle. I have kept the gear pretty simple as in no refrigeration, no windlass, No dodger, bimini or other deck canvas, no inverter, computer or TV, and so on.
That is not to say that my boat's sail shaping gear is all that simple. More or less Synergy is rigged as single-handed race boat and as a short-handed cruising boat. That means there are some powerful winches and the deck gear is never simple.

In the end, I often say that we all make boat decisions based on what we cherish and fear most. In my case I cherish most maximizing my time spent sailing vs maintenance, performance across a broad range of conditions, seaworthiness, and ease of handling, and fear most boats with poor sailing capabilities, hard boats to sail, and unreliable boats more than anything else. Your mileage may vary......

Jeff
MikeOReilly likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #86 of 109 Old 02-07-2020

Ever notice the more one uses their boat, the less repair it needs?

As far as general maintenance compared to a house, I suppose it depends on the level of care one applies to their boat or house. I certainly know houses that arenít well maintained and perhaps thatís because itís less life threatening. Houses donít sink.

In the end, Iíd much rather work on my boat than on my house. I fix something aboard and canít wait to use it. Replace the furnace or roof at home and it does nothing for me.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #87 of 109 Old 02-07-2020
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
...In the end, I often say that we all make boat decisions based on what we cherish and fear most.
That's a beautiful summation line Jeff. I'm going to try and remember it. Thanks
hpeer likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #88 of 109 Old 02-07-2020
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Quote:
Ever notice the more one uses their boat, the less repair it needs?
Yes it is because there are millions of short/little repairs over a longer period of time, rather than lots of major repairs from sitting and neglect.

I am heartened to hear Jeff describe his way of sailing, anchoring and addressing things. I attempt to use my boat as a single-handers boat frequently. I too loathe complex systems and faulty equipment. I'm still getting used to "Freedom," but my intentions are to learn to sail her into, out of the slip and to know how to deal with her when she becomes fickle and will not start motor (with hopes she'll not ever have that issue).

I also dug out her emergency tiller and spent some time seeing how she sets up and how hard she is to steer that way. Its manageable but one should know what they are up against. We had to use the e-tiller twice on Dad's US27 on Barnegat, both times we improved our response to diagnosis and implementation. In fact our second time using the e-tiller we barely luffed up from the time the steering cable jumped the sheave till the tiller was in place and boat was under control (good thing too because we were on the edge of the channel).

I wondered about dealing with the anchor solo on "Freedom," so I am going to have to play with some options. She has a manual windlass on her, and I'll have to see what will work best for me.

My skills are not honed like Jeff's but I endeavor to get there in a measured fashion.

I've only owned keelboats 22-26 feet of my own, but I've not hesitated to sail any of them into/out of their slip or anchor.

I believe it is our requirement as boaters that we attempt to prepare ourselves for any possible hardship, in as best a manner we can, obviously within reasonable margins of safety.

Ironic that nobody spent a lot of time on safety gear, except jacklines.
Safety harness, jacklines, requisite PFDs...
A way to heat things up
A way to get or carry drinkables
A way to communicate VHF or SSB, EPIRB
Charts? (navigation is good, but physical charts are sometimes a great backup to have, or at least have multiple electronic backups)
Some kind of dink, inflatable, kayak - way ashore
For me it requires a swim/boarding ladder. Nothing worse than trying to get aboard a boat bouncing in a chop (and a way to retrieve that boarding ladder from the water).
Obviously coming off the boat is task number 1, especially under way, but when at anchor, or anchoring, or adjusting anchor its almost MORE likely you'll have issue, and if you are solo it can be a game changer if you cannot get back aboard. A swim/boarding ladder is safety equipment to me.

Most of this is moot to me, I'm just on a lake, I can flag down the nearest bass fisherman. It would still stink going for a swim in Jan.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #89 of 109 Old 02-07-2020

I have gone from a very simple boat with few systems, to a bigger, more well appointed boat with a lot more systems. I like having the refrigeration, heating system and full suite of electronics. I am looking forward to modifying and upgrading the systems on Azura to suit our cruising needs as we approach retirement. I am a mechanical tradesman so I enjoy fixing things, but we did buy a newer boat in good shape so there is very little to repair so far. When we are not away on the boat it is my man-cave, and I like to spend time tinkering and getting to know her. At this point there isn't much to do, so I end up hanging out listening to music and drinking rum! Once we are retired and the boat ages I expect there will be plenty of little projects to keep me out of trouble.

Having said all that, I am glad we were able to get a newer boat. The idea of getting an older boat with a lot of systems that may or may not have been maintained properly is a little more daunting.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #90 of 109 Old 02-07-2020

I'm boating!

I've brought my cockpit table home to re varnish it.
MikeOReilly likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in