Places to check out near Charleston, SC - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By MarcW

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-29-2019 Thread Starter

Places to check out near Charleston, SC

I'm considering relocating to somewhere in the US southeast, and one place on my list of potential homes in Charleston, SC. Of course I want to bring my boat, 36 feet LOL which draws 7 feet 6.5 inches and is 59 feet above DWL. Looking at the chart, it seems there is at least one bridge I can't fit under and another that is very close.

I'm planning to visit marinas and yacht clubs, and I'm hoping some people who know the area could suggest some places where I can fit, and warn me about places I can not. Also it seems there are at least two yacht clubs to visit, although I think neither has slips.

I appreciate any input, thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-30-2019

Re: Places to check out near Charleston, SC

We love Charleston and have been several times. However, never with the boat. We considered wintering there and checked out the Charleston City Marina, which is before the bridges. It's huge and has all the amenities: showers, laundry, marine store and every trade it seems. The only thing missing was a travel lift, if needed, but there are others nearby. Being on the outside of the mega dock could be exposed to fetch.

It's walking distance to downtown, so I don't see why one would need or want to move around.

The city is full of history, not to mention countless excellent restaurants. Virtually all within walking distance. Super easy bike ride, if you have them or would get them temporarily.
RegisteredUser likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2019

Have you considered Folly Beach? Very close to Charleston, nice town, the marina is Sunset Cay. No bridges.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll add Charleston City Marina, Folly Beach and Sunset Cay to the list of places to visit.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2020
cdy

How about Wilmington NC ? A little further north , has marinas , not sure on the sailing in the area though - obviously Charleston has a much bigger sailing (and racing) environment - but I find the city itself especially the touristy areas to be over priced.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2020

We're in Beaufort, SC on Lady's Island. We have one bridge to call if we want to get out to the Atlantic however there are other nearby places without the bridge issue.
Charleston is about 1.5 hours by car. Savannah about an hour.
We do have a lift and several marinas nearby.
As usual, you need to watch the tides and current in these parts.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I've lived and sailed in Charleston for 15 years. Don't try the inlet at Sunset Cay. The Coast Guard and Seatow have stopped using it, it's so shallow and the channel moves so much. folly Beach is great, but there's no way you're going to get a boat with that draft in there.

The city marina is really the best choice, an easy walk to everywhere you want to go. There's a Marina at Patriots point beside the USS Yorktown, but the only thing over there is a restaurant or two, a golf course and the Yorktown and accompanying ships, which is an excellent thing to check out for a day.
post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Charleston City Marina is your go-to!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in