Have sailing Youtubers jumped the shark? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 132 Old 01-03-2020
Master Mariner

Re: Have sailing Youtubers jumped the shark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
The related question is :

Do real sailors watch sailing blogs?
Hey, I object to your intimation that just because I don't watch sailing blogs I might be a real sailor. Perhaps you should be more careful about slinging about labels like that. After all, it is the 21st century and we should be beyond that sort of thing.
Don L likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 132 Old 01-03-2020

Silly analysis.

There are plenty of real sailors who watch sailing vids.

There are plenty of non-sailors who watch sailing vids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #33 of 132 Old 01-03-2020

Have sailing Youtubers jumped the shark?

Am I the only one to not know what “jumped the shark” even means? And none of the foregoing 32 posts helps. Grateful a plain English definition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #34 of 132 Old 01-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBKal View Post
Am I the only one to not know what “jumped the shark” even means? And none of the foregoing 32 posts helps. Grateful a plain English definition

“jumped the shark” has historical origins from the old TV show Happy Days. It pretty much means when something has just gotten to outlandish. I think the episode involved sharks and The Fonz and it was a "what the heck just happened" moment in the series. I always thought it was an odd expression.
PaulBKal likes this.
post #35 of 132 Old 01-03-2020

I do think that was the origin. Beyond solely outlandish, I believe the term is used when ratings are falling and the series does some outlandish to try to regain attention. Something like that.
ThereYouAre and PaulBKal like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 132 Old 01-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I do think that was the origin. Beyond solely outlandish, I believe the term is used when ratings are falling and the series does some outlandish to try to regain attention. Something like that.
Ill agree to that definition as well. But the Fonz really did jump over a shark and hence the expression.
PaulBKal likes this.
post #37 of 132 Old 01-03-2020
HANUMAN

https://youtu.be/t4ZGKI8vpcg

Happy Days was one of the greatest TV success stories, but they just couldn't let it end on a high note so they bled it dry. The YouTube scene shows what many people believe is the point that the show went from maybe not so good anymore to horrible. Jumping the shark simply means something was good for a period but you can identify that point when takes a solid turn for the worse.

There are some solid Youtube sailing video makers. I enjoy Uma, Nahoa, Delos, Wynns, and a couple others I watch off and on. I watch them as I curse and sweat my fat arse on the treadmill.

There is one I was starting to watch, subscribed, great audio narration from both the husband and wife, decent video work. However, they have a dog with breathing problems, they want to do what's best for the dog, The dog loves the beach, the dog is too hot, the dog's name is Sugar, it's a cute dog but Sugar this and Sugar that, they may have to give up sailing, now maybe they won't, the dog was not doing well in the tropics, they went to land, he would do better on land, he was not doing well on land, he liked the Bahamas better, maybe they will go do S. America, I wish they would find Dr. Doolittle or a dog psychic. It's a shame because some of the videos are very good, DIY stuff and meteorological stuff. I'm a solid animal lover but jeezus make up your mind. Then they had the stones to brag about how much money they made while they took a YouTube break, piss off. Unsubscribe.
chef2sail, jppp and PaulBKal like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGallagher For This Useful Post:
PaulBKal (01-04-2020)
post #38 of 132 Old 01-03-2020

Specifically regarding Abandon Comfort, they did eventually post a blog update about what was going on for them. The Youtube comments about them breaking up, etc. appear to be incorrect speculation. They simply decided to take a break to focus on another area of their lives, and they intend to come back. I think the Youtube commentariat jumped the gun on this one: https://www.abandoncomfort.com/blog/...-sold-the-boat
post #39 of 132 Old 01-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
Specifically regarding Abandon Comfort, they did eventually post a blog update about what was going on for them. The Youtube comments about them breaking up, etc. appear to be incorrect speculation. They simply decided to take a break to focus on another area of their lives, and they intend to come back. I think the Youtube commentariat jumped the gun on this one: https://www.abandoncomfort.com/blog/...-sold-the-boat
There's this weird thing about people who follow sailing channels. I have seen it with a couple of channels that changed direction away from sailing: the subscribers get vicious. It's so strange as the boating community tends to be the exact opposite. But I have seen at least three channels suffer massive attacks when they tried to transition from boating to travelling—attacked to such an intense degree that they ended up erasing every trace of their online presence. One of tehm had kids and the stuff posted was just so totally inappropriate.

Maybe other genres suffer from viewers with such an overinflated sense of entitlement as well, but I don't look at them. But (some) sailing vlog viewers are among the some of the biggest jerks I have seen on the internet.
dimmy likes this.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
post #40 of 132 Old 01-03-2020
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
There's this weird thing about people who follow sailing channels. I have seen it with a couple of channels that changed direction away from sailing: the subscribers get vicious. It's so strange as the boating community tends to be the exact opposite. But I have seen at least three channels suffer massive attacks when they tried to transition from boating to travelling—attacked to such an intense degree that they ended up erasing every trace of their online presence. One of tehm had kids and the stuff posted was just so totally inappropriate.

Maybe other genres suffer from viewers with such an overinflated sense of entitlement as well, but I don't look at them. But (some) sailing vlog viewers are among the some of the biggest jerks I have seen on the internet.
Just goes to show that most of the viewers aren't actually sailors or cruisers. They are mostly dreamers, wannabes, and voyeurs.

It's also the reality-TV aspect of most of these cruising channels. They're not real. At best they are an honestly curated version of reality. At worst, they are complete lies. In all cases though, they are intentionally edited versions of a life intended to increase clicks. That's how they make their money.
JustAnotherHomer likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in