18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 01-10-2020
Dirt Free

Re: Clearing boat out of the USA in the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
g up to expire.

He does not need to hand that cruising permit in. It expires automatically when he leaves the USA.

Mark
Have had dozens of Cruising Licenses and mine expired on the stated date, not when I left US waters. I often leave and return (Florida/Bahamas) under the same cruising license as long as it has not expired by date.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 01-10-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 01-11-2020

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

When a non-US vessel has been stored in the US and a Cruising License has expired in the meantime a new Cruising License cannot be acquired until the vessel has left US Water. In this case the vessel needs a Permission to Proceed (out of the country). This is a routine excercise for many Canadian boats stored over summer at places such as Idiantown in Florida. Last year the fee was $27.40. It is illegal for a foreign vessel to move in US waters without a Cruising License or a POP.

[/url]
They don't tax you/fine you for overstaying your cruising permit???

'stored' can that mean in the water in a marina?

Because that could be highly advantageous if I decide to do some land travel in another country for a year.
Is there a time limit of the 'storage'?

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #23 of 37 Old 01-11-2020

You'll pass within sight of my home a couple hours after departure. I'm just south of the big radar installation on the western shore. I'll keep an eye out!

post #24 of 37 Old 01-11-2020

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I'm just south of the big radar installation on the western shore.
CIA Headquaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #25 of 37 Old 01-11-2020

Alternatively you can call Customs and Border Patrol in Baltimore. They have an office downtown, pretty easy to get to.

They MIGHT be able to give you the lapsed work you want. They are probably the same office where you got your cruising permit.

OR check in on the French side of St Martin at the Island Water World near Marina Royal. You just do it on a computer and pay a couple of dollars. I’m almost positive they don’t look for clearance papers.

BUT ALSO there are a bunch of different CBP districts and each enforces the rules differently, with no side knowledge that “their” way is not universal. That could account for different experiences.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 01-11-2020 at 08:54 AM.
post #26 of 37 Old 01-11-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
If youíre worried about it just go to USVI. Then youíll have documentation for when you clear into Marigot St.Martin. Easy overnight sail.
Get your East in early. Parker says strong trades throughout January. Iím leaving 2AM in a couple of days for St.Lucia. But Iím a gentleman and gentleman go to weather in an airplane. From St.lucia heading to Martinique. Eventually will get to leewards either then turn around and go back to Grenada or do SDR to Newport. Be nice to cross paths. Will track you on MarineTraffic.
svHippocampus
We are laying in Simpsonís Bay, St Maarten. The wind is crazy erratic, almost nothing to gusts near 40k. Saw a small ďdirt devilĒ on the water yesterday, think we had one hit us last night.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #27 of 37 Old 01-11-2020

Feel your pain. Be in Rodney on Monday. Want to just up to Martinique. Trivial sail . But have company coming into Marigot st.lucia in a couple of weeks. Ridiculously worried if I can get two one day windows in that time frame. Before coming home for Xmas never saw a full main. Not once since November.
Upside is just about everything is a reach and you can do hull speed all day long if you want. Donít worry....be happy.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #28 of 37 Old 01-11-2020
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
They don't tax you/fine you for overstaying your cruising permit???

'stored' can that mean in the water in a marina?

Because that could be highly advantageous if I decide to do some land travel in another country for a year.
Is there a time limit of the 'storage'?

Mark
Yes, Stored on the hard or in water (not moving). Hundreds of Canadian boats are in this situation every year when they are stored for the summer in Indiantown, Green Cove and Titusville. No cost other the the $27 for the permit. Don't know about time limit but many Canadians do it for about six months.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 01-11-2020 at 10:38 AM.
post #29 of 37 Old 01-11-2020

Which is much more lenient than what Canada allows.

There you get a season and then have to pay a hefty (import?) tax. Unless you run off 3 or 12 miles and then come back.

Canada does not provide “exit” papers either, or at least I’ve never gotten them.

post #30 of 37 Old 01-11-2020
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Which is much more lenient than what Canada allows.

There you get a season and then have to pay a hefty (import?) tax. Unless you run off 3 or 12 miles and then come back.

Canada does not provide “exit” papers either, or at least I’ve never gotten them.
I have two American friends who got 1 yr. permits that were then extended to 18 months in Canada then a few hours across Lake Ontario and back for another year..... no taxes, no fees.

Neither are foregin cruisers required to check in with CBP every time they stop the boat as in the US.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in