Clearing boat out of the USA in the Chesapeake - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 01-10-2020 Thread Starter

Clearing boat out of the USA in the Chesapeake

Hello everyone - I do my rigging test sail on "Zanshin" this morning and if all goes well I will leave Annapolis tomorrow and have one last overnight at anchor (probably at Solomon's) and then head straight for Bermuda or as southerly as I can make it and then straight south to St. Martin.

But I need to clear out of the USA. I've been told that I can take my papers to BWI to do that, but I couldn't find any information online to support that. Has anyone done this or have knowledge of where to go in the airport?

The alternative is to do it at Hampton but I don't think that they are open on Sunday and my weather window is pretty tight, if I depart too late I'll lose the relatively good winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-10-2020

Dock
Re: Clearing boat out of the USA in the Chesapeake

You don't clear out of the USA.

You just leave.

Its sounds crazy but thats what happens. Just leave. Make sure you get an entry stamp in your next port of call

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 37 Old 01-10-2020 Thread Starter

Mark - I might head straight to Antigua, so I need that form. I've cleared out of the USVI several times for the same reason - those Antiguans really need their paperwork from the last port. Alternatively I might clear into the Dutch side of St. Martin and they can be pretty meticulous as well. Anyway, the form is available online and I've filled it out, but now I just need to get a stamp on it.

Plus I think I need to "relinquish" my cruising permit as well.

Last edited by Zanshin; 01-10-2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added text

post #4 of 37 Old 01-10-2020

All US citizens just leave and have no paperwork to prove it was their last port. Not sure about your situation. I don't think you must surrender your cruising permit, as it expires. I think you want to, if one is trying to get the clock restarted, by being out of the country for 15 days, or whatever the standard. Either way, it can't hurt, I suppose.

USCBP website has office listings, which I'm betting you checked. Logic would make me think you need to clear out down in Norfolk, unless you have no plans to layup between Annapolis and open water. Not sure.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 37 Old 01-10-2020 Thread Starter

Mark - did you sail into St. Martin from the USA?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #6 of 37 Old 01-10-2020

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Mark - I might head straight to Antigua, so I need that form. I've cleared out of the USVI several times for the same reason - those Antiguans really need their paperwork from the last port. Alternatively I might clear into the Dutch side of St. Martin and they can be pretty meticulous as well. Anyway, the form is available online and I've filled it out, but now I just need to get a stamp on it.

Plus I think I need to "relinquish" my cruising permit as well.
I have cleared into SXM direct from the USA with no Zarpe and they are fine. Everyone is fine with it because everyone knows you don't clear out of the USA.

But ring CBP on your reporting number and ask them
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #7 of 37 Old 01-10-2020

Again, just intuitive, but having your old cruising permit with you might demonstrate where you were. Don't take my word for it. I suppose the stamp in your passport does the same.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 37 Old 01-10-2020

Dock

It does feel ulta weird.

There is a reason for it: You could stamp out... and then not actually go. Wheras at an airport when you stamp out the *know* you've gone because you go into a secure area and onto a plane with a manifest.

Similar with cruise ships... they stamp you out and you are into the secured area boarding the ship. they know you've gone.

But on a private sailing boat, you go to CBP in the bus, stamp out... then go to the pub, supermarket, catch a train to Texas... etc etc etc Theres no way the actually know youve left.

Sea Life

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
pilott (01-14-2020)
post #9 of 37 Old 01-10-2020
Daniel - Norsea 27

Safe Travels Zanshin. Hope all goes well.

See you around.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #10 of 37 Old 01-10-2020 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice - I have such a tight schedule today to sort things out so that I don't miss my little weather-window. If Mark did it into St. Martin then I'll do the same. Last time I left I had to clear out in Norfolk because Jeanneau needed proof that the boat had left the country so they could get their VAT back, so when I arrived in St. Martin I did have paperwork.

I've got the SPOT set up and will get the page up and running that will show my location at 10 minute intervals while on passage - I'll start a separate thread once I have that working correctly.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in