Canadian surrendering cruising permit before heading the the Bahamas. Tips? - SailNet Community
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By Guyfromthenorth
  • 1 Post By Icibc
  • 2 Post By SVTatia

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2020 Thread Starter

So I've heard it's best to surrender the permit when leaving US waters for the Bahamas and then re-applying upon return. Can anyone who has done this confirm? Also can I surrender via the phone call just like I've been doing all my check ins or do I physically need to boat over to a CBP office and do it in person? I plan to ask CBP of course but my one experience that has been consistent since entering US waters back in Sept is that the rules change constantly and every CBP officer will give you a different answer....

PS no offense meant to them, they all seem like good people, I just think the rules or the training on cruising permits isn't up to par.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2020

Re: Canadian surrendering cruising permit before heading the the Bahamas. Tips?

Every Border Customs organization world wide seems to be variable, from Officer to Officer. Painful, I know.

Iím not an authority on checking out, as I never have to. Just be sure youíre clear with your question and plans. If you plan to need a permit back, you have to be outside the country for 15 days, I think. If you return and your old permit is still valid, I think you only get until it expires and you canít extend. You have to leave again. If you want a new 6 months, you need to surrender it, leave, then come back and apply for a new one.

I think Iím pretty close anyway. Just be sure to review the point with CBP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-17-2020 Thread Starter

All answers come in time. I want to preface this by saying I know the CBP officers have a hard job and also that I'm a guest in their country and have no god given right to be here.

I spoke to Miami CBP and was informed indeed I do need to bring in my license to surrender it in person. It can only be done Monday to Friday and between 9am and 3pm. They expressed frustration over surrendering it as they felt it was to my convenience and just creates work for them. I rushed and sailed down to Miami to make that timeline today. Perhaps I will elaborate more on how that went one day when I'm home safe lol.

post #4 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
. I rushed and sailed down to Miami to make that timeline today. Perhaps I will elaborate more on how that went one day when I'm home safe lol.
At least can you tell us if, indeed, you needed to hand it in at an office? Or the person on the phone made a mistake.
Or there is no requirement to hand it in?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Iím still pretty suspicious that all are on the same page. As I said above, I think there are reasons youíd need to and reasons youíd not need to. Could be that individual CBP officers donít remember all the rules or circumstances, just what happened last time. Could also be that Miami is on a bit higher alert for smuggling. Bureaucrats figure if theyíre making it harder, theyíre making progress, whether itís logical or not.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Quote:
. I rushed and sailed down to Miami to make that timeline today. Perhaps I will elaborate more on how that went one day when I'm home safe lol.
At least can you tell us if, indeed, you needed to hand it in at an office? Or the person on the phone made a mistake.
Or there is no requirement to hand it in?
Sorry Mark I meant that in my original post. Yes have to hand it in IN person. During weekdays only. Once handed in you can pay a fee for a clearance to leave the country and you have 24hrs to get out or you need to go back to the office and pay for another one. He did seem to infer that if you got your clearance on friday but couldn't leave til Sunday you couldn't get another since they are closed saturday and therefore effectively get 2 days for the price of one on a weekend...It's a very clunky system for sailboats looking for wx windows. This is all from the head guy of the marine division I dealt with there, not a random agent in uniform at a kiosk. As for me my cruising permit was not surrendered. When I return (hopefully this friday window stays open) I will only have 2 months to run all the way from florida to the Canadian side of the great lakes again. It'll be tight.

post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Yes this is the good option and yes you have to surrender your cruising permit in person at a CBP office. Be sure that the weather will be good and that you can leave within 48 hrs. Officers will give you a Right to proceed. When you come back to the USA after a leave of 15 days (minimum), you will ask for a new cruising permit.

But last mid-december when I wanted to surrender my cruising permit in West Palm Beach, the officer offered to change the termination date of the permit to dec 30 (permit was good till may 15, 2020). That gave me a lot of time for my departure to the Bahamas without having to leave in the next 48 hr. That was great! I plan to return to the USA in april and, then, I will ask for a new cruising permit.
post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'm no expert at this, since I don't need a cruising permit. However, the recounts still sound like a difference between keeping your current permit open, or cutting it off, so you can apply for a new one and a new six months, when you return.

It would not surprise me that Miami wants to set eyes on people who are calling it with their next move as leaving for the Bahamas. Perhaps they confiscate the unexpired permit, so you have to identify when you return. Of course, even if I'm right, this only ties up the innocent. I'm sure those smuggling from the Bahamas don't make much of an effort to follow the rules.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #9 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
... As for me my cruising permit was not surrendered. When I return (hopefully this friday window stays open) I will only have 2 months to run all the way from florida to the Canadian side of the great lakes again. It'll be tight.
May I ask the reason you did not surrender and then reapply when you return? Was that your choice?
I am trying to understand the need to rush north later...
Minnewaska and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in