Winter sailing from Annapolis to St. Martin - Follow "Zanshin" - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 279Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Winter sailing from Annapolis to St. Martin - Follow "Zanshin"

Never easy to make decisions. You could be stuck there for weeks or get the hell outta dodge now and take the 2 days of less comfort.

Going now looks like you can easily get Easting. And that's the name of the game.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Not disputing Chris in anyway, but it always seems like a forecast 9' -10' ends up being 10'-14' , if it has been blowing for several days; which can be really exhausting, especially in these temps. I wish you all the best!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #93 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

I've been through the gulf stream in 20 knots NE and it's fine. But as you say, maybe days of building. But it's only 50nms. If it was 30 kts I wouldn't do it.

Remember Zanshin is a bloody big boat, 57 feet. No baby.
mbianka and tempest like this.

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

post #94 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I work as a consultant. People pay me (good money) for my "expert" opinion. There are few things that bother me as much as giving a detailed report and then having that report ignored because it doesn't fit what my customers would like to hear. For this reason I will not listen to any of my inner voices and heed the expert advice that I solicited. That means another couple of days here in Norfolk. Hopefully it will warm up, as the heating isn't coping with the 0C temps here. But I have warm clothing and thick sheets and single malt aboard, so I can cope...

p.s. What happened to the default font on this thread?

Last edited by Zanshin; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:16 PM.
post #95 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Really like chris. I use him too. Have an annual subscription and also sign up for daily boat specific emails for passage. Although he is free on SSB find routing not just weather to be extremely helpful. Since I started with him he’s added two other weather people. One’s named Stormy which cracks me up.
MXWC

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #96 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks for posting. This was in the first sentence and was enough to get my attention. I'd stay tied to the dock, with the single malt. Especially, single handed.

Quote:
...might settle to only [email protected], with 9-10' wind-chop in the GulfStream....not pleasant
Your good judgement is clearly the key to your success. Good luck finding the right window. Since you're so flexible, it will come.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #97 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

WX has changed today.

Staying in port is highly optimal.

Next good looking day is Sunday morning.

Today:
Sal Paradise likes this.

Sea Life

post #98 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

You like passage weather over windy. So do I. Find it easier to interpret for some reason. Especially like low data mode.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #99 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Mark - Sunday morning is my current departure date, and even Chris Parker concurs. I'll most likely have 2 or more days of motoring in light winds but it certainly is better than dealing with 30 knots of winds and the associated waves. I finally updated my website with pictures and text (instead of finding and fixing the small leak in the aft head) and am looking forward to getting to latitudes where heating is no longer necessary. I am so very lucky to have found a sponsor that saves me the $150 per day dockage fees I'd otherwise be paying at Hampton! Of course my employer in Europe is also playing along and being very patient about my return to work so for once things look like they are working out. I even fixed my NMEA problem with sending data to SSB and VHF. It turns out that some technical write at Raymarine has problems between "+" and "-" in their wiring diagrams. I'd complain to them, but they've discontinued the model so I'll just deal with it...

post #100 of 247 Unread 3 Weeks Ago

Z could you share the details. Currently have RM of various ages.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in