Winter sailing from Annapolis to St. Martin - Follow "Zanshin" - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 283Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 247 Old 01-13-2020

Re: Winter sailing from Annapolis to St. Martin - Follow "Zanshin"

If you need a closer jumping off point with deep water check out Fishing Bay Marina. Chesapeake Boat Works is located next door and the facilities are close to the Chesapeake Bay with easy entry. Located just southwest of Stingray Point on the Piankatank .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 247 Old 01-13-2020 Thread Starter

I think I am sorted. Did some electrical work and preparatory work on the boat. I used the washing machine aboard to do the laundry, but had to walk an hour to get to 7-Eleven that sold me a small bottle of detergent for $7 I still need to put the SSB back in the bracket and that should take me less than the full hour it did last time - it is in a relatively inaccessible location and the 4 mounting bolts need to fit into the right holes which need to be lined up and that is a Sisyphean task.
The weather window still looks good, so I am departing sometime before noon and sailing straight offshore. That will have me leave the Chesapeake sometime before midnight but with radar and AIS I should be able to deal with the big ship traffic on the way out.

I have a NAVTEX device aboard, but that has died on me, but with the cool new PACTOR modem attached to the SSB I am receiving constants WEATHERFAXes and once away from all this interference at the docks I'll also get daily weather routing from Chris Parker.

I hope to have lots of time to read, I've got the Encyclopaedia Britannica Great Books plus hundreds of e-books to choose from.
Sal Paradise likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 247 Old 01-13-2020

Good to hear you ironed out the shakedown squawks. All the best on the passage, Zan.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #34 of 247 Old 01-13-2020

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Best wishes for a safe trip,
Zanshin.

Would be interested to hear your strategy for balancing sleep and watch standing as a solo sailor on such a long passage. Iíve done several 24-36 hour solo passages before but never a multi day sail like this.....
mbianka likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #35 of 247 Old 01-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Best wishes for a safe trip,
Zanshin.

Would be interested to hear your strategy for balancing sleep and watch standing as a solo sailor on such a long passage. Iíve done several 24-36 hour solo passages before but never a multi day sail like this.....
Good question!
I've done a fair amount of it and it's very exhausting. I did 20 min of sleep... checked the instruments and the horizon and then back to sleep for 20 min... at night. Day time I tried to stay awake for longer periods and catch a short nap.

Two makes it a bit better but it is still very exhausting... we did 3 on and 3 off for thousands of miles.
Sal Paradise likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #36 of 247 Old 01-13-2020 Thread Starter

AIS and Radar and guard zones make for better, and longer, sleep periods. I'm out of the shipping lanes and don't expect to see much traffic on this route and in this season. I do 20-30 minute timed sleeps when close to shore, but longer sleeps when way offshore.

post #37 of 247 Old 01-13-2020

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

I know having the
electronics must help tremendously....

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #38 of 247 Old 01-13-2020
Captain Obvious

Fair Winds Zanshin!! Have a great trip, will be watching your tracker and hoping for updates.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #39 of 247 Old 01-13-2020

Electronics are critical. I've not soloed at night. I've heard the thought that it's better to sleep longer intervals, during the daylight, when you can be seen. Interesting thought.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #40 of 247 Old 01-13-2020 Thread Starter

I know that I get some good deep sleep quickly and can function on 1-hour sleep intervals, albeit not well. 2 Hours is even better. 20-minutes is just too short to get a full sleep cycle done or to go from light to deep sleep.

Haven't seen a single sailboat, commercial boat or cargo ship since I left. The Chesapeake is dead quiet with not even a little chirp on the VHF to keep me occupied. Hence my going online often and checking mails and internet before I get out of range. I have sailmail going, but that is very bandwidth restricted.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in