Yacht - seeking perfect owner - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-17-2020 Thread Starter

Yacht - seeking perfect owner

We see so many posts of we the Owners seeking a perfect yacht. And many of us think we have found that “perfect yacht.” It got me thinking, maybe we are looking at it backwards from reality?

There is an argument that plants, grains in particular, domesticate humans to care for them. By extension this covers animals as well. Anyone who has owned a cat will recognize the symptoms.

So, perhaps, reality is that our boats groom/domesticate, us to care for them and to fall in love with them. We adjust to their ways, their desires. They change and mold us more than we change them.

I came to this thought by wandering through Yachtworld for the umpteenth time, this time looking for our “perfect retirement yacht.” I could not find anything I like better than what we have. How can this be? There are zillions of yachts out there, many much “fancier”, and “nicer”, with many more “comforts.” So why are we, my Wife and I, so infatuated with our current boat?

The last time we looked we looked for a good long time and looked at many different boats, very different boats. And came close to buying a couple, even after we had found this one. Would we have fallen in love with them?

Then I thought, ”Wait a second, who is really in charge here? Is it me, or have I been modified by the boat to be happy with, and to care for her? Have I been domesticated by my boat?”

Scary thoughts!!!!

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 01-17-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-17-2020
Old soul

Re: Yacht - seeking perfect owner

Perhaps more like a symbiotic relationship that (hopefully) benefits both parties; much like grain, or cats.
eherlihy, chef2sail, capta and 1 others like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-17-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We see so many posts of we the Owners seeking a perfect yacht. And many of us think we have found that “perfect yacht.” It got me thinking, maybe we are looking at it backwards from reality?

There is an argument that plants, grains in particular, domesticate humans to care for them. By extension this covers animals as well. Anyone who has owned a cat will recognize the symptoms.

So, perhaps, reality is that our boats groom/domesticate, us to care for them and to fall in love with them. We adjust to their ways, their desires. They change and mold us more than we change them.

I came to this thought by wandering through Yachtworld for the umpteenth time, this time looking for our “perfect retirement yacht.” I could not find anything I like better than what we have. How can this be? There are zillions of yachts out there, many much “fancier”, and “nicer”, with many more “comforts.” So why are we, my Wife and I, so infatuated with our current boat?

The last time we looked we looked for a good long time and looked at many different boats, very different boats. And came close to buying a couple, even after we had found this one. Would we have fallen in love with them?

Then I thought, ”Wait a second, who is really in charge here? Is it me, or have I been modified by the boat to be happy with, and to care for her? Have I been domesticated by my boat?”

Scary thoughts!!!!
Finding the perfect boat is way way way too vague... And you know that.

The perfect boat is the best match to a series of criteria that the buyer establishes.

The buyer who is informed has enough experience to formulate the criteria... and prioritize them which is the hardest part perhaps.

If boat listings were set up in a data base that could be searched presumably the algorithm would return the matches for you to look at. Some things are hard to quantify in a database...

And some criteria are hard to define and pin down while others are easy even when no one bothers to quantify them. For example headroom is an easy one. Tankage, draft, rudder type and so on likewise. Stowage? How do you quantify this? Lots? Number of lockers? Volume of lockers? and so on. Stowage is very important for live aboards and those who HAVE lived in a boat understand that.

When you don't have experience your criteria list could be wrong. When you have lots of experience you may be faced with the fact that all designs are compromises...

And then you can work with an architect and get exactly what you want. ;-)
chef2sail likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 15 Old 01-17-2020

I hate my boat. Money pit and once I understand and have one thing working another wears out or breaks.
Can’t understand why everyone who sails her with me, or comes aboard socially goes “wow, she’s a perfect yacht. You’re so lucky.

Think you’re right Mike. Look at other boats and like mine better. But I’ve spent the last two days getting a hose off a barb to replace a pump. Pump’s not available on the island I’m on. Between brokage, rush fedex and additional fees we’re eating only on the boat, no beers at the bar for the next month or so and I’m probably looking at two more days reconnecting the pump in its awkward space whenever the gods bless me to make it show up. I hate my boat.
I love my boat.
No, I hate my boat.
Wait that’s not right. I love my boat.
No........

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 01-17-2020 at 01:55 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-17-2020

I think Stephen Stills may have said it best: "Love the one you're with" ;-)
olson34, RegisteredUser and capta like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-17-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
I love my boat.
No, I hate my boat.
Wait that’s not right. I love my boat.
No........
No you hate to fix things which were supposed not to break... Or maybe you hate the architect who expected you to work on stuff that you can't get to with your hands and the tool. I recall taking apart what seemed like half the engine to get to one leaking fuel pipe. Once I got the wrench on the compression fitting it took one second if that much. hahahaha

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 15 Old 01-17-2020

Yes ,the study of parasitic relationships can be fascinating. The most successful usually include some numbing of resistive capabilities. ,,,Such as can be observed in cat/rat ,ant/fungus and members/ yacht club bar. The. easiest cures involves complete acceptance or cold turkey avoidance
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-17-2020 Thread Starter

FWIW many of the things I love about this boat is what it does NOT have. If I do not have it then it can’t break down. I spent too damn much time fixing crap as it is.
eherlihy and Arcb like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #9 of 15 Old 01-18-2020

Bought my 1986 Nonsuch 30U in 1995 and have not looked at another boat since. Even when I have visited the Annapolis Boat show I never feel compelled to go on any of the new boats. We charter Catamarans in various places over the winter and never once felt like I wish i had one myself. When my engine died over ten years ago at 1900 hours i did not blame the boat. I cursed the engine. I then converted to electric propulsion which made the boat even better. Of course I am about to replace the head hoses and move the dead macerator (which currently has very bad access). I still doubt that I will be cursing the boat but, rather the guy who installed it in it's current location.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 Old 01-18-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Yes ,the study of parasitic relationships can be fascinating. The most successful usually include some numbing of resistive capabilities. ,,,Such as can be observed in cat/rat ,ant/fungus and members/ yacht club bar.
Wife/shoe store.

Mark
tempest likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in