Raymarine a95 chart plotter touch screen issues - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Raymarine a95 chart plotter touch screen issues

Anyone with a Raymarine a95 chart plotter experienced issues with touch screen? Freezing, hanging up on initial boot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago
HANUMAN

Re: Raymarine a95 chart plotter touch screen issues

No. My experience last season was good. Sorry I can't be more help, maybe a factory reset?

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Yes I had the touch screen a95 and it freezes on initial booth. It was only a few month old. I tried everything, reset, etc without success. I send it back to Raymarine for repair. They couldn’t repair it and send me a a98 (touchscreen). I used it for a few months and again, on my way to the Bahamas, it began to be erratic, as if I gave it multiple orders but I didn’t touch the screen. Then it freezes and I was forced to close and reopen it for a small amount of time, and then the same problem reappears again and again. It was even dangerous some times, because we need it for sailing and sometimes have to pass in narrow channels.
So I send it back to Raymarine for repair still on the warranty. They were unable to repair it, and send me a new one, Axiom 9 (touchscreen), which I now have for a few months. I am back sailing in the Bahamas and hope I will not have problems with this one. It was raining one day and seems as if the rain on the touchscreen gave wrong orders to the MFD, but it seems a common problem and it was only occasional. But 3 MFD in 2 years ...seems a lot!!! I should mention that I had a very good service from Raymarine in Connecticut.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icibc For This Useful Post:
wingman10 (1 Week Ago)

Old 3 Weeks Ago
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

I have had the A 95 for 5-6 years now without a problem, as a backup measure I also installed a remote keypad, the pair gave me a more flexible install size wise and for less money than the E series with the knobs. It has performed without problems, I also installed all the same generation of auxiliary units, depth, speed, knot log, wind, and radar on the nmea 2000 can bus. I don't know if this makes a difference or not for the MFD.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Had a e95 which I used as gps source while using the big 12” e series as master down at the nav station for the micro SDs. Usually have two different chart sources available. The e95 failed halfway between Grenada and St. Lucia. With no gps the AP wouldn’t work. Happened just leaving Grenada so blowing dogs off their chains due to compression zone. Was interesting steering and reefing while trying to do diagnostics and reboot. Thing wouldn’t turn off except by turning everything off at the breaker. Need my AP to cruise.
Ended up replacing everything as could only get axiom here Or paying a fortune for b & g. If using axiom for just one device that device would be stand alone. Need radar/AIS/AP on all three. Put the pro axiom at helm as don’t trust touchscreens in wet/cold and not functional with gloves. Rest pure touch to save money. So far so good. Heard protocols have changed since e series so in future can replace just one unit in network without difficulties as RM will ensure legacy units will network.
Learning the axiom by fooling around. The documentation is lousy. But it’s fairly intuitive so not worried. Bad thing is I lost all my tracks somehow which sucks.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Update on original post: RM recommends disabling the sonar/depth transducer logging function presumably to see if that might be overloading the operating system, going to see if that helps.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Though I have no experience with that particular unit, this has pretty much been my experience, as a professional captain, with every product Raymarine sells, right down to the useless service department and customer support personnel.
It isn't worth my time to install anything Raymarine sells even if it was given to me for free.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Though I have no experience with that particular unit, this has pretty much been my experience, as a professional captain, with every product Raymarine sells, right down to the useless service department and customer support personnel.
It isn't worth my time to install anything Raymarine sells even if it was given to me for free.
So how many times do we have to read the same post of your obvious bias against Raymarine. We know how you feel. The fact you are a professional captain has nothing to do with it. Just like it has nothing to do with bottom paint.

Every time you post feel I MUST counter that to make it fair to those reading, I have had nothing but good luck with their products. Please stop reposting every time someone mentions Raymarine and break this endless cycle.

Since you won’t purchase I wonder how you can comment on the newer products like Axiom, lighthouse program since you can have no personal experience than reading about it.

I have a C95W , before that a C80 , MFDs and both have been excellent. Accompanying them are the Ray wheel pilot and depth wind instruments and HD Radar on an NMEA 2000 backbone.

The only issue I had was when I added the Vesper AIS but Raymarine tech advice was spot on.

All electronic brands are very similar and have their positives and negatives IMHO. The steady drip drip drip of negativity does not really represent well.😄

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The fact you are a professional captain has nothing to do with it.
Actually I believe it has everything to do with my posts such as this.
Whereas most on here might own or operate a few to possibly a dozen or so vessels over their lifetime, I as a professional, have sometimes operated a dozen or more vessels a year, spanning a career of over 5 decades. This exposes me to a greater variety of equipment, under a greater variety of conditions.
As I have had few good experiences and many more bad to very bad experiences with Raymarine products, customer service reps and service technicians, I feel it is my responsibility to warn others before they spend their hard earned money on what may turn out to be equally unfortunate experiences.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:16 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

OK we are warned.
But do we have to be warned every time someone posts about Ray Marine was my point

You are but one person. Many of us who have plenty of marine experience have had good experiences.

We know how you feel by you repetitive animus against Ray Marine. It’s your holy grail it seems. Give us a break

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in