BVI Charter - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

BVI Charter

I've finally convinced the Admiral as well as two other couples to go on a charter to the BVI's. We will be going in early March. The charter will be aboard a 2019 Leopard 50 catamaran. The big "concession" on my part: This will be a crewed charter: captain and a cook/first mate. The Leopard 50 is a biiiiig boat: three guest cabins, all with separate heads/showers (electric flush! A big plus for the Admiral who is not thrilled with the Jabaso on my Catalina 28), king berths, A/C, the works. Why a crew? As my wife has told me several times: it's not much of a vacation for her if she's cooking and cleaning. Fair point.

Anyway, the point of this post is not to brag about my trip (at least not the whole point). I'm looking for suggestions about where to go/places to see. Great snorkeling destinations? Great nature hikes? Any and all advice is welcome. The charter begins and ends on St. Thomas. We can't spend too much time in the USVI as the crew and boat are not American, but other than that, the BVI's are our oyster.

Thanks.
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: BVI Charter

Great situation. Your wife seems very intelligent!

Having a skipper & crew on a 50 ft cat removes the need to plan anything. I would just demand.

Demand!!

Madam wishes snorkeling NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madam wishes a Margarita NOW!!!!!!!!!!

No! The sun is not at the correct angle to glitter off the ice blocks!

Plus, you don't have to worry about a mooring ball being available, bookings for the restaurant, vacumming the sand out of the galley.
If the skipper can't find a mooring at The Indians you can just jump off the back and he can go 'pause' until you've swum your heart out.

This is going to be bliss. Well, bliss for you, your wife and friends....

Enjoy it
mstern, RegisteredUser and mbianka like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Captain Obvious

Jost - Soggy Dollar. Bubbly pool and ( If it still exists) Foxy has a place there. Some people might turn their nose up, I thought it was all a lot of fun.

We snorkeled the Indians by Norman Island. Lots of amazing fish.

And The Baths were amazing, had to swim in but it was worth it.
mstern and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #4 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago

We've been doing crewed charters for years. My gal is also not keen on us doing any bare boat charters. Something about me going into "Captain mode". I'm now on board with the idea. It's great not having to deal with provisioning, storage and cooking. Getting to know a strange boat etc... Something breaks Captain fixes it while I sit back with a cool drink. I can take a nap when I want to etc... He gets to use his local knowledge I get to enjoy the scenery. You and the wife will love it and will come back much more relaxed.
mstern, MarkofSeaLife and capta like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:59 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I don't know about " Great" nature hikes. But, we've always walked, hiked to the top of Norman Island, on a clear day you can see St. Croix. There was a hike up and around the Bitter End Yacht Club. Have always walked up the Hill at the Baths, and had a drink while enjoying the view and sat in the pool. Jost has a hike as well.
post #6 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Ive never put myself in such a position.
Do girls wave palm fronds and feed you chilled grapes
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago

We like Maho bay on St John. Several turtles there when we visited in April.

Anegada is a favorite for beaches, bars and lobster.
post #8 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Ive never put myself in such a position.
Do girls wave palm fronds and feed you chilled grapes
Nakedly.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago

You will have a great, great, great time.

Having a local Captain comes with local knowledge. You won't run out of ideas. Anegada has been mentioned, and I've found the local guys really like to go out there. The nearby stuff probably gets boring for them. However, I would definitely skip it on my first BVI cruise. There is so much to see and do, I wouldn't take the time to go all the way to Anegada.

Soggy Dollar and Foxy's on Jost are the kind of places that everyone you ever run into that has been to the BVIs will ask if you've been. They are both rebuilt (I was there last winter) and clearly adult frat parties. Fun, not uncomfortable. Expensive too, everything there is. A big hike is available on Jost. Read up on the Manchioneel tree (poisonous apple). It's very poisonous, you don't even want it on your skin. There are signs that warn you of it, don't even use one for shade or refuge from a rain squal. Easy to avoid, unless you think those cute little apples look tempting. They'll kill you.

You also have to see the Baths. I've been enough that I don't really care if I ever see them again, but I do love bringing guests. I hear Saba Rock in North Sounds on Virgin Gorda is being rebuilt. It's so unique, it's really worth seeing. It would also be surreal to see the hurricane erased Bitter End Yacht Club across the anchorage from it. Norman has a nice protected anchorage and the Indian are right outside for snorkeling. Cooper Island Resort is nice too. I get a kick out of Willy T's, a barge that's been converted to a bar/restaurant. It was at Peter Island last winter, but I read that it was going to relocate back to it's original home/anchorage on Norman. Most of these places we visit for lunch or early cocktails/dinner. We're usually back aboard, before the late night younger crowd arrives. It's a thing. They all play play popular party music you'd recall from 70s. 80s, until late night, when it moves to younger stuff. I have occasionally stayed late, it's still fun. The next morning is not fun.

I'm leaving off a ton of other ideas. I triple the recommendation for Maho on St John. Cruz Bay is touristy, but I nice place to grab a bit more civilization, after an extended time in BVI. If you're returning to St Thomas, the best place to layup the night before turn in, is Christmas Cove on little St James island. There is some snorkeling, but the big attractions is the pizza boat. It was started by a young couple from metro NYC. The recently sold it, but it was still pretty good last winter. Pricey, but a treat on the last night, then a short hop home in the morning. St James has the notoriety of being the island owned by the late Jeff Epstein. The anchorage is federal and you're not permitted ashore. Everyone down that hates/hated him.

Have a great time.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
mstern (3 Weeks Ago)
post #10 of 12 Old 3 Weeks Ago

By the way, for others interest. You can hire just a cook/steward, you're not required to take a Captain. I have a buddy that has done it. Not that expensive, considering the incredible advantage. You just have a stranger living with you. That is, when you charter a bareboat you can be insured to Captain yourself. Some boats are charted, full crew only.

Be sure to tip the crew well, they don't get paid all that much of what you're paying the charter company per day.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
mstern (3 Weeks Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in