No more spearfishing in the bahamas? - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

No more spearfishing in the bahamas?

Spent 250$ on spearfishing gear specifically to check that off my bucket list on our trip. The license we were given says spearfishing is allowed if the endorsement is on the license. The customs officer who gave me the license said he can't put that on because he isn't a fishery guy. I waited for the fishery guy to show up here and he just told me no one is allowed to spearfish unless you get a guide and go downtown for a special one time guided permit ..... really disappointed at this one. Thoughts? I honestly can't tell if I'm being jerked around here.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: No more spearfishing in the bahamas?

You should have done your research before you spent all that money. Spear fishing is only allowed for citizens on most Caribbean Islands. Hawaiian slings are allowed, in some places, but you'd have to gold plate one to spend $250.00 on one.
I've never heard of a permit to spearfish with a guide. Independent SCUBA diving is illegal so SCUBA diving requires a guide on many islands. I should think (don't know) that any rules regarding either of these could be found on the sport divers' magazines web sites.
I must admit, I really miss the days when in an hour or so I could spear up enough fish for a half dozen or more yachts in an anchorage to have a fish fry.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:12 PM.
post #3 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Spear fishing in this context means Hawaiian sling or pole spear. If the OP does mean speargun, then that isn't ever allowed in the Bahamas, guide or not.

The 2019 regulations make no mention of a need for a guide. They say that the permit issuing officer can issue fishing and spearing permits. They do not differentiate what an "issuing officer" is though. It has always been the customs officer for us. I've never heard of a "fisheries guy" - only customs and immigration.

I don't know if there are new regulations that took place in 2020. If so, they are not yet in the Bahama government website.

I think you are getting jerked around, and this is not uncommon for random officers in the Bahamas. Most are good, though.

Where were you checking in? Sounds like Nassau, or one of the other few ports that should be avoided for these types of reasons.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

post #4 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Just get a hawaiian sling and go harvest.
Read rules regarding distance from shore

..edit.. 2 years ago customs told me the fishing pefmit also applied to spearing. Was no special endorsement

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:34 PM.
post #5 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Just get a hawaiian sling and go harvest.
Read rules regarding distance from shore

..edit.. 2 years ago customs told me the fishing pefmit also applied to spearing. Was no special endorsement
That isn't quite right, but it is confusing. The fishing permit is free and part of the customs/immigration paperwork. However, the spearfishing permit is a special endorsement on the fishing permit. It is also free, and given by customs/immigration, but you need to ask for it. Then they pull out their stamp and stamp it and you have permission.

It is silly, but that's the way it works.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #6 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I asked for that endorsement and was told it was included with the fish permit.
This was at grt harbour cay, 2018 and 19...2 different officers.

I also believe that their training is not the best, nor uniform, due to differing answers to questions ive asked

On another note...
Permit is printed saying boat is good for 6 months, but its actually good for 12 months.
post #7 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I must admit, I really miss the days when in an hour or so I could spear up enough fish for a half dozen or more yachts in an anchorage to have a fish fry.
It's still that way in the lesser-travelled parts of the Bahamas. Conch and lobster too. But one needs to get out of Georgetown, and a bit off the cruiser-choked paths (which coincide with the overfishing locals to supply them) - where the fish, conch, and lobster are almost jumping in the boat.

Also that way in the Western Caribe, with the added bonus that there is no ciguatera, so large fish of all types are good game, and one can use a speargun.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Cubera snapper.jpg  
Arcb likes this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #8 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I asked for that endorsement and was told it was included with the fish permit.
This was at grt harbour cay, 2018 and 19...2 different officers.

I also believe that their training is not the best, nor uniform, due to differing answers to questions ive asked

On another note...
Permit is printed saying boat is good for 6 months, but its actually good for 12 months.
Yes, it is included with the fishing permit. But it is not active unless it is either stamped or initialed (I forget which).

It is a really silly thing - free and already existing, but it needs to be "activated". I don't understand the purpose.

On the other hand, I've never been "pulled over" when spear fishing, and if I ever was, I doubt they would ask to see the "activated" permit. They are only interested in illegal fish and spear guns.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I did research it and was following all the rules as per the Bahamas website which states bluntly that getting a spear endorsement is easy...just ask! The Pole spears, plus tips, spare parts, fins, belt, weights etc etc added up lol. Anyways... as far as I can tell he either just wasn't interested in sorting it out or maybe has an issue with spear fishermen. Another person endorsed my license and I'm good to go now. One customs guy said basically no one cares just go ahead and do it...but I've come way too far to get tossed out or at least fined for a rule like that.
KayakerChuck likes this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #10 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago

That stamp/endorsement may be old bureaucracy...or not known as part of entry permits by some customs officers.
If not a tax...makes no sense...wasted ink

Were just just looking for good time with no hassles
Overall, i think thats what the gov wants to deliver
Just spend. Your $s...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in