SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo?

7K views 69 replies 16 participants last post by  skipmac 
#1 · (Edited)
I booked vacation time 10 days before and 10 days after the 4th of July to plan a trip.

Starting point is Mystic, CT and have two plans in my head. East to the Vineyard or West to NYC. Day sailing with stops along the way.

We are leaning towards NYC because (due to work) it will likely be a once in a lifetime event to get the 4th holiday weekend off. I could try to book Liberty Landing for a few days, arriving mid week before the 4th and leave on a weekday after. Take the 10 yr old and Admiral to see all the pertinent stuff, fireworks etc.

I know it will be insanity in NYC for that weekend but I feel I'd be safely in a slip and could have the best of both worlds. Am I nuts?

What would you do?

#44 ·
Mark has pretty much sized up the 4th experience on the water.
Over the years I have been very fortunate to be able to view fireworks up close, both on the
Hudson and East river, from land, in very civilized settings. Traveling go and from is another story.

Used to watch fireworks (from land/waterfront) just a few hundred feet north from where
One 15 Marina is now. Viewing from marina is spectacular without question. The rub is when boats leave after fireworks over. The adventure of boats on the water have been covered.
I am talking about being tied up at a dock/marina.
The worst was the centennial for the Stat of Lib. in '87, boats start leaving fast when fireworks over, first the small power boats, followed by larger cruiser, tour boats and so on. Chop builds becoming waves then ever growing 8 ft? rollers coming into confined shallow water and then refract out again. Was very impressive, especially to my brothers friend who sailed his boat up from (think) Baltimore and tied up for the day. As well as the crew and families of the 60-70 ft. tugs that tied up.
Maybe that won't happen this year, as that year fireworks were south in the upper harbor and boats were all headed north and this year that area will probably be a no go zone with barges launching fireworks and boats will head either north or south sparing the marina.
I, for one not interested.

#43 ·
I saw the fireworks last year and was on FDR drive so you aren’t the only one who has the most recent experience I think. I also was present in the Armada of boats at the Statue of Liberty in 1986 with the tall ships and fireworks.

The NY fireworks are very impressive and certainly first rate. For most it would be a real treat , HOWEVER,
I am lucky I live where I do.

The BEST US 4th of July fireworks are on the National Mall in Washington DC. We have traveled there a number of times.

The viewing is uncompromised. Surrounded by America’s most famous monuments it’s an undisputed display. The flyovers of the various services aircrafts from the helicopters, warplanes and bombers rivals most air shows ( without the theatrics) . The music performed by the various service bands and headliners is great. And the fireworks display awesome.

There is no bad viewing display. I have been lucky to have seen it from many different vantage points from the steps of the Capitol building, to the Ellipse at the Washington monument, the Vietnam Wall , but the best ....the Lincoln Memorial.

If you have the capability and it’s on your bucket list......go to DC for the 4th of July. You will never forget it.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

#45 ·
And this year might be the last year of the fireworks....

Today's Wall Street Journal
Macy's to Close 125 Department Stores, Exit Weakest Malls
CEO says retailer couldn't solve woes of ailing shopping centers, plans to open smaller format stores outside of malls

Macy's Inc. M +0.03% plans to close 125 department stores over the next three years, an admission that a fifth of its locations cannot thrive as shoppers buy more online and make fewer trips to malls.

The company is also cutting roughly 2,000 corporate jobs, or 10% of corporate and support staff, and closing several offices. It will abandon a dual headquarters in Cincinnati-a structure Macy's has kept since 1994 when it was still one of the country's biggest retailers-and put all headquarters roles in New York.

#53 ·
I booked vacation time 10 days before and 10 days after the 4th of July to plan a trip.

Starting point is Mystic, CT and have two plans in my head. West to the Vineyard or East to NYC. Day sailing with stops along the way.

We are leaning towards NYC because (due to work) it will likely be a once in a lifetime event to get the 4th holiday weekend off. I could try to book Liberty Landing for a few days, arriving mid week before the 4th and leave on a weekday after. Take the 10 yr old and Admiral to see all the pertinent stuff, fireworks etc.

I know it will be insanity in NYC for that weekend but I feel I'd be safely in a slip and could have the best of both worlds. Am I nuts?

What would you do?
This is something I've thought about doing myself. Figured it would be a madhouse but on the other hand, seeing fireworks from your own boat could be very cool.

Just one thing. I sailed from CT to Martha's Vineyard last June and sailed east, not west. Sailed Martha's Vineyard back to NY last Oct and I sailed west, not east. Have they moved the city? :devil

By the way, they have a small but fun fireworks show on the Vineyard as well.

#54 ·
This is something I've thought about doing myself. Figured it would be a madhouse but on the other hand, seeing fireworks from your own boat could be very cool.
Certainly watching the Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge celebration fireworks were memorable events for me. But, even when I just anchor by the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island by myself they are still magical nights. The lights of the buildings of Manhattan and having the Statue of Liberty a few hundred feet away makes for a special evening. The thought of there being millions of people in the noisy city just across the harbor while I am enjoying the solitude and quiet at anchor next to the Statue is something I recommend all to experience at least once if they are in the area.

#55 ·
We're going to be in Newport for the 4th. It's a tradition for us. We used to order a steamed lobster, make corn on the cob, salad and some good beer for dinner and then wait for the fireworks. Newport is its most crowded that weekend. We still return to our favorite places... the Mansions, Cliff Walk, walk the dog at Ft Adams or Kings Park and visit our favorite shops, restaurants and enjoy seeing the boats. We can be as close the the fireworks as we want and always enjoy them from the cockpit.

Newport is a great town full of American history, nautical treasures and friendly people and a jewel not to be missed.

#60 ·
I love Newport too. A can't miss place when visiting the Northeast. Sailing capital. Not sure the 4th is its busiest as the Folk Festival draws an enormous crowd.

Every region of the country has its "star " city or Port. I was thinking of Charlestown, San Diego, Seattle. All are can miss places with great history, attractions, and good sailing.

Reactions: bigdogandy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.