NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 70 Old 02-02-2020

Re: NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo?

My understanding was a sail down to view the Fire works not visit the city from the boat. The latter is not really feasible except perhaps from Chelsea Piers, 70th St Boat basin or the Marina at 23rd Street on the East River. None of them seem appealing to stay over night in

Port Wash is a 1/2 hr or less train ride to the city. To sight see be prepared to take a lot of public transportation and do a lot of walking. Citi-bikes is another way to get around.

We've done the 4th at Newport and it's usually a boating mad house. but the next days it's a typical Newport day in the Harbor. The show from the anchorage is fabulous and why we see it there.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 Old 02-02-2020

Do it. I was anchored between the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with my 24 foot Bristol for the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in 1986. What a Party! Anchored there the day before and got my spot. What a show!

Some tips:

If the weather looks good anchor the day before.

Don't leave your boat.
Keep your fenders out and have others at the ready,
Not all who show up have their anchor techniques down pat.
There will be current changes too.

DO NOT try to leave until the next day unless you love being rocked by hundreds of drunken power boaters heading in all directions at night .

My boat is one of the ones between the SOL and Ellis Island in the photo below. Though I doubt things will be this crowded as it was in 1986.
Attached Thumbnails
Statue of Liberty 1986.jpeg  
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 70 Old 02-02-2020
Old enough to know better

I did 4th of July one year at a mooring on City Island, was very nice, kind of distant views of fireworks in all directions. But was very relaxing, no boat traffic and had fun with no worries.
SanderO likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

post #24 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
It's one thing to spend a night on a delivery and move on the next day, it's another being on vacation. I don't believe they have showers in the new Brooklyn Marina. And the wakes from the Ferries will toss you out of your bunk. They were still constructing the attenuating wall when I made a delivery from Eastern L.I. this fall. Also, getting in and out of there with the east river current running and the traffic isn't going to be a picnic. Can it be done, sure, just not my idea of relaxing.
I take it there is only one marina in Brooklyn? I've not boated down there, since I was a kid. In any event, I didn't think the OP was looking for a place to stay for more than a couple of days to see the Fireworks. If they could be seen well from there, I'd certainly opt for showering aboard. I'd much rather watch the fireworks from my boat than stand in the crowds ashore, even if they were a tad further off. NYC fireworks will be easily seen from a distance.

I looked up Active Captain and see One 15 Brooklyn Marina. Is this the one? It would appear to be directly across the East River from the fireworks and position A, if there are no impediments.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
.....We've done the 4th at Newport and it's usually a boating mad house. but the next days it's a typical Newport day in the Harbor. The show from the anchorage is fabulous and why we see it there.
Best place to watch the Newport fireworks is on a reserved mooring at the Connanicut Marina.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Do it. I was anchored between the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with my 24 foot Bristol for the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in 1986. ......
I don't remember the year, but think it was ~1990 that I did the same. It was nutzo, as the OP asked. Glad I had the experience and glad I was 30 younger at the time.

The fireworks are no longer done in that spot, they are on the other side of Manhattan in the East River now.

edit: I didn't notice who was posting, so of course, you know where the fireworks are now.
RobGallagher likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Last edited by Minnewaska; 02-03-2020 at 06:56 AM.
post #27 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Dock

The other marina that would be great is North Cove Maina in Tribecca. As far downtiwn as it gets in NYC.

It was $7 per foot but now igy has it they may have dropped to price a bit.
It might sound a lot but for 2 nights may be OK.
https://www.igymarinas.com/marinas/N...SAAEgLK9_D_BwE
RobGallagher and tempest like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #28 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Best place to watch the Newport fireworks is on a reserved mooring at the Connanicut Marina.
Viewing location from anywhere in the mooring area is fine. We've anchored close to Fort Adams and further away near Ida Lewis... show looks the same. Closer you are the more you have to bend your neck!

The show is improving as the fireworks have gotten better through the years.
RobGallagher likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #29 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
I take it there is only one marina in Brooklyn? I've not boated down there, since I was a kid. In any event, I didn't think the OP was looking for a place to stay for more than a couple of days to see the Fireworks. If they could be seen well from there, I'd certainly opt for showering aboard. I'd much rather watch the fireworks from my boat than stand in the crowds ashore, even if they were a tad further off. NYC fireworks will be easily seen from a distance.

I looked up Active Captain and see One 15 Brooklyn Marina. Is this the one? It would appear to be directly across the East River from the fireworks and position A, if there are no impediments.
It's probably a Great View of the Fireworks, There's also a 4 Night Minimum Stay and a 2x Surcharge for the 4th of July.
RobGallagher likes this.
post #30 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
I don't remember the year, but think it was ~1990 that I did the same. It was nutzo, as the OP asked. Glad I had the experience and glad I was 30 younger at the time.

The fireworks are no longer done in that spot, they are on the other side of Manhattan in the East River now.

edit: I didn't notice who was posting, so of course, you know where the fireworks are now.
I also anchored by the Statue of Liberty for the 100th anniversary of the Brooklyn Bridge and had clear views up the Hudson and East Rivers for the show.

Another fun memory a guy from a nearby boat left to visit his buddies on another boat leaving his girlfriend alone on his boat. She was not happy. Eventually his boat bumped into mine. I still regret not inviting her to join me on mine. The look on the fellows face would have been priceless when he returned.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in