NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Re: NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The other marina that would be great is North Cove Maina in Tribecca. As far downtiwn as it gets in NYC.

It was $7 per foot but now igy has it they may have dropped to price a bit.
It might sound a lot but for 2 nights may be OK.
https://www.igymarinas.com/marinas/N...SAAEgLK9_D_BwE
North Cove is a nice little spot. Manhattan Sailing School operates from there. I'm not sure, but I don't believe that they have any shower facilities, they don't have many slips, and might have minimum stay for the 4th. I'd call em now.

I believe they all have minimum stays for the 4th, including Liberty Landing. Booking any of the area Marina's for the 4th would likely have to be done asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

We did the NYC fireworks in 2000, with OpSail (Eagle was not the biggest) and world navies filling the harbor (three aircraft carriers with jump-jets and helicopters landing and taking off, and destroyers and tactical vessels lining the channel up to the GWB) , along with all the cruising boats, cabin cruisers, daysailers, runabouts, USCG and Police RIBís, jet skis and kayaks. SUPís were not in the equation then. It was fantastic, and the fireworks unbelievable. Definitely not an opportunity to be missed. Showers ashore? Who cares? A slip at Chelsea Piers sounds good. We anchored off Ellis Island and had many of the issues others have complained about, though their relevance has diminished in retrospect.
SanderO and mbianka like this.
post #33 of 70 Old 02-03-2020 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Wow, all I can say is WOW. Thanks for so many thoughtful replies with advice.

I booked Liberty Landing through Dockwa. Sticker shock was a challenge but it's not something I'll do again soon. $8 per foot for the Fri/Sat night of the holiday weekend. $5 a foot the other nights. It's a lot to pay but we will make the best of it. Hopefully can see some of the fireworks from the marina, otherwise I'll look into booking a ride on a tour boat.

Will be taking our time getting there and coming home so hope to make lots of stops along the way.

Anyone need a mooring for 4th of July week in Stonington or Noank let me know. Mine will be empty.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #34 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Good choice Liberty Landing but a lot of tall buildings in the financial district between, thinking you would miss a lot/maybe all.
Maybe a call to the marina on a slow winter day would yield some insight.
The tour boats get good spots, you will have a front row seat.
If you can get a tour boat out of New Jersey, that would be a home run as transportation to and from fireworks will crowded.
Again maybe the marina can advise you if any leaving from Jersey or just spend day in the city and go from there.
Also viewing from Governors Island is very good. Do not think there is a direct ferry from Jersey but there are ferries from Manhattan
to Governors Island for a dollar or two. Thinking they will have extended hours for the fireworks but check just in case.
More info on city and western LI sound if you like.
tempest likes this.
post #35 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

I took a quick look, for dedicated firework ferries leaving and returning from Liberty Landing, 1st glance didn't see any, But I agree, I would either call the marina or the Ferry companies. NY waterway would be one to call, among others.

Liberty park is Huge, it's possible to be far enough south in the park to get a good view up the east river.

Jersey City has also held it's own fireworks display and festival on the Hudson since Macy's moved from the Hudson to the East River. I believe JC's fireworks are on the 6th this year. But, they haven't posted an official announcement yet, they are quite good.
RobGallagher likes this.
post #36 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
We did the NYC fireworks in 2000, with OpSail (Eagle was not the biggest) and world navies filling the harbor (three aircraft carriers with jump-jets and helicopters landing and taking off, and destroyers and tactical vessels lining the channel up to the GWB) , along with all the cruising boats, cabin cruisers, daysailers, runabouts, USCG and Police RIBís, jet skis and kayaks. SUPís were not in the equation then. It was fantastic, and the fireworks unbelievable. Definitely not an opportunity to be missed. Showers ashore? Who cares? A slip at Chelsea Piers sounds good. We anchored off Ellis Island and had many of the issues others have complained about, though their relevance has diminished in retrospect.
I was living on board at Chelsea Piers in 2000 and had a front row seat on my boat for the OP Sail event. Chelsea Piers is a great location for events like Op Sail and Fleet Week but, dockage is pricey especially for transients. Though access to the city is great.
RobGallagher likes this.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 70 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Liberty park is Huge, it's possible to be far enough south in the park to get a good view up the east river.
Good call, that would be great (especially looking over the Statue of Liberty shoulder)
would surely be a picture for the scrapbook.(do they have them anymore?)

Also, little used by pleasure boats, an anchorage in the Bay Ridge flats, south of Governors Island, good view straight up Buttermilk channel between Gov. Is. and Brooklyn. Depth 15 ft. or so and is used as anchorage/few moorings for barges. Have used many times waiting for fair current, p.u. crew, waiting out weather. Pleasure boats stay away, but always plenty of room and barges block wind and waves. But never have been there on the 4th, and one should consider staying put fro the night after the fireworks.
RobGallagher likes this.

Last edited by HUGOSALT; 02-03-2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: left out word
post #38 of 70 Old 02-03-2020
Weekend Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
The fireworks have moved back to pier 17 this year; that's just south of the Brooklyn bridge. This spot ought to hav a clear view
from the Black Tom portion of the park on the southern and eastern most point. If I get motivated enough to leave the boat tomorrow, I'll grab a
picture and post it here.

/ed
RobGallagher and tempest like this.
post #39 of 70 Old 02-04-2020

My gut tells me the view from Liberty Landing isnít going to be great It is 2nm from the show, with a bunch of buildings between. Fireworks are a few hundred feet high and many buildings are taller.

Those marina prices are incredible and up charging for the holiday is nutzo. You can always take the water taxi over. Iím sure youíll have a great time.
SanderO likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #40 of 70 Old 02-04-2020

Not a great idea to see the NYC fireworks from your boat. Sail to some place convenient to mass transit or take a Lyft or Uber to the area north or south of the South Street Seaport... or to the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights... Enjoy the show and go back to your boat.

You can watch the Newport Show from a boat... but the only thing Newport and New York have in common is the NEW...

Car traffic will be a mess... boats the same... do yourself a favor...use your noggin.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in