NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 70 Old 02-06-2020 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Re: NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo?

Oddly enough, does Google or Apple or Tesla any of the multi gazillionaire tech companies sponsor anything? Tesla doesn't even sponser a Formula e car...lol

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 70 Old 02-06-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
My understanding was a sail down to view the Fire works not visit the city from the boat. The latter is not really feasible except perhaps from Chelsea Piers, 70th St Boat basin or the Marina at 23rd Street on the East River. None of them seem appealing to stay over night in

Port Wash is a 1/2 hr or less train ride to the city. To sight see be prepared to take a lot of public transportation and do a lot of walking. Citi-bikes is another way to get around.

We've done the 4th at Newport and it's usually a boating mad house. but the next days it's a typical Newport day in the Harbor. The show from the anchorage is fabulous and why we see it there.
For visiting NYC, I'd agree- don't do it by boat. The Brooklyn marina is a good option, because there's lots to do around there, and the park is great. But visiting there is easier by train. Could always anchor behind Statue of Liberty for the fireworks! Seems like an underutilized anchorage, and would likely be unforgettable, however I'm not sure about the 4th. Newport anchorage is also amazing for viewing.
In the end, it's up to you if your feeling a more remote or urban setting..
RobGallagher likes this.
post #53 of 70 Old 02-06-2020
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I booked vacation time 10 days before and 10 days after the 4th of July to plan a trip.

Starting point is Mystic, CT and have two plans in my head. West to the Vineyard or East to NYC. Day sailing with stops along the way.

We are leaning towards NYC because (due to work) it will likely be a once in a lifetime event to get the 4th holiday weekend off. I could try to book Liberty Landing for a few days, arriving mid week before the 4th and leave on a weekday after. Take the 10 yr old and Admiral to see all the pertinent stuff, fireworks etc.

I know it will be insanity in NYC for that weekend but I feel I'd be safely in a slip and could have the best of both worlds. Am I nuts?

What would you do?
This is something I've thought about doing myself. Figured it would be a madhouse but on the other hand, seeing fireworks from your own boat could be very cool.

Just one thing. I sailed from CT to Martha's Vineyard last June and sailed east, not west. Sailed Martha's Vineyard back to NY last Oct and I sailed west, not east. Have they moved the city?

By the way, they have a small but fun fireworks show on the Vineyard as well.

post #54 of 70 Old 02-06-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
This is something I've thought about doing myself. Figured it would be a madhouse but on the other hand, seeing fireworks from your own boat could be very cool.
Certainly watching the Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge celebration fireworks were memorable events for me. But, even when I just anchor by the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island by myself they are still magical nights. The lights of the buildings of Manhattan and having the Statue of Liberty a few hundred feet away makes for a special evening. The thought of there being millions of people in the noisy city just across the harbor while I am enjoying the solitude and quiet at anchor next to the Statue is something I recommend all to experience at least once if they are in the area.
SanderO, skipmac and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 70 Old 02-07-2020

We're going to be in Newport for the 4th. It's a tradition for us. We used to order a steamed lobster, make corn on the cob, salad and some good beer for dinner and then wait for the fireworks. Newport is its most crowded that weekend. We still return to our favorite places... the Mansions, Cliff Walk, walk the dog at Ft Adams or Kings Park and visit our favorite shops, restaurants and enjoy seeing the boats. We can be as close the the fireworks as we want and always enjoy them from the cockpit.

Newport is a great town full of American history, nautical treasures and friendly people and a jewel not to be missed.
HUGOSALT and mbianka like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #56 of 70 Old 02-07-2020
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Certainly watching the Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge celebration fireworks were memorable events for me. But, even when I just anchor by the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island by myself they are still magical nights. The lights of the buildings of Manhattan and having the Statue of Liberty a few hundred feet away makes for a special evening. The thought of there being millions of people in the noisy city just across the harbor while I am enjoying the solitude and quiet at anchor next to the Statue is something I recommend all to experience at least once if they are in the area.
One of the high points of my trips up and down the ICW.
Attached Thumbnails
20191012_235330.jpg   20190625_213002.jpg   20190625_205322.jpg  
post #57 of 70 Old 02-07-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
One of the high points of my trips up and down the ICW.
You captured the scene quite nicely.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #58 of 70 Old 02-07-2020
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
You captured the scene quite nicely.
Thanks. Believe it or not, took the photo with my phone.

Anchoring behind the statue is amazing. A little choppy during the day from all the ferry wakes but about 8:00 or so it gets quite calm. Best view of the city ever.

Also a great spot to wait to time the currents through Hell Gate.
post #59 of 70 Old 02-07-2020

I can imagine NYC is worse than Baltimore Harbor...,
I had to grab a chef knife to un-hinge several boats from entanglement @ 4th. This is in ZERO visibility on some largish boats at midnight+, in a cesspool. as to the above comments on the "get a slip" +++

-luci
post #60 of 70 Old 02-07-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
We're going to be in Newport for the 4th. It's a tradition for us. We used to order a steamed lobster, make corn on the cob, salad and some good beer for dinner and then wait for the fireworks. Newport is its most crowded that weekend. We still return to our favorite places... the Mansions, Cliff Walk, walk the dog at Ft Adams or Kings Park and visit our favorite shops, restaurants and enjoy seeing the boats. We can be as close the the fireworks as we want and always enjoy them from the cockpit.

Newport is a great town full of American history, nautical treasures and friendly people and a jewel not to be missed.
I love Newport too. A can’t miss place when visiting the Northeast. Sailing capital. Not sure the 4th is its busiest as the Folk Festival draws an enormous crowd.

Every region of the country has its “star “ city or Port. I was thinking of Charlestown, San Diego, Seattle. All are can miss places with great history, attractions, and good sailing.
bigdogandy likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in