SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo?

7K views 69 replies 16 participants last post by  skipmac 
#1 · (Edited)
I booked vacation time 10 days before and 10 days after the 4th of July to plan a trip.

Starting point is Mystic, CT and have two plans in my head. East to the Vineyard or West to NYC. Day sailing with stops along the way.

We are leaning towards NYC because (due to work) it will likely be a once in a lifetime event to get the 4th holiday weekend off. I could try to book Liberty Landing for a few days, arriving mid week before the 4th and leave on a weekday after. Take the 10 yr old and Admiral to see all the pertinent stuff, fireworks etc.

I know it will be insanity in NYC for that weekend but I feel I'd be safely in a slip and could have the best of both worlds. Am I nuts?

What would you do?

#5 · (Edited)
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I sailed past there this spring and fall. It's not a place that I'd want to Vacation. ( relax) Too noisy, It was still under construction, and choppy. Liberty is tucked in off the Hudson, no wakes, less noise from the city. IMHO.

P.S. Capta's suggestion of viewing from one of the Charter's is a good one. I think there will probably be some leaving from Liberty Landing.

#3 ·
I did the 4th in NY Harbor one year on a 100+ foot passenger vessel and it was a mad house. Literally thousands of boats on the water, mostly looking up at the fireworks, not at the boats around them!
If you can find a slip, I'd go on a tour boat and leave the Rolaids filled evening of boat driving to someone else.

Reactions: tempest
#4 ·
The 4th of July is a Peak weekend no matter where you head. If you're looking to check the Fireworks in NYC off your bucket list then, I'd go for it, especially if you think you'd want to spend time in the city, seeing a show or hitting some museums etc.
There's also the Science Museum right near the Marina, which would be great for your 10 yo.

I suspect that you can get to Martha's Vineyard anytime you want from Mystic. Block Is. is a Zoo on the fourth. At least, as you say, in Liberty Landing you'd have a slip to yourself! If you reserve in time.

From Liberty, you could sail down to Sandy Hook and the Atlantic Highlands. Get some beach time etc. The Atlantic Highlands is a very boater Friendly town. (no inlets to deal with)

This is my neighborhood, so if you decide to come down, I can provide local knowledge and suggestions.

#6 ·
I watched the NYC fireworks from a boat at anchor about 30 years ago. Different spot then they use now, but just as insane. One literally spends the entire evening fending off. In the dark! I'd never do it again. If the marina in Brooklyn had a good view of the fireworks, that sounds pretty nice.

I'm trying to recall if I've seen the fireworks in MVY, I just can't recall. I've seen them several times on ACK and they're very nice from the mooring field. You're not right under them, but they are easily seen.

#8 ·
Guys, I'd read the "Reviews" on the New Brooklyn Marina 1st - One 15 - they are very mixed.

Unless they've recently added them, there are no bathrooms or showers! The wave attenuation is not that great.

There's two things here. Best place to Stay, and best place to see the Fireworks. They don't necessarily have to be one and the same.

#9 · (Edited)
Ive done three 4th of Julys in NYC on the boat...:

79th St Boat Basin can not be booked and the transient moorings are always full on 4th of July week.

Liberty Landing is NOT New York. and its quite a long, time consuming public transport ride to NYC... and I cant see it being fun trying to get back from the fireworks on the subway.

Where would be GREAT is Chelsea Piers 23rd Street. You can walk everywhere especially the east River freeway where the fireworks are.

Its ultra expensive, about $5 per foot per night but I reckon it would be totally worth it. (Liberty Landing is going to be $3 per foot anyway).

I know a lot of people slag off at New York City, but I have travelled the world and I can tell you theres only one New York! Just one Big Apple, just one NYC for the 4th of July. Listen to Frank... he had it right :)

https://www.waterwayguide.com/marina/surfside-3--marine-max
MarineMax Manhattan
Chelsea Piers, Pier 59
23rd St and the Hudson River
New York NY 10011
Phone: (212) 336-7873

I would book it now. It will definitely book out. :)

Also Chelsea Piers are just a walk along the Hudson River to Battery Park; a walk to SOHO; Greenwich Village; Little Italy, all the places a family wants to explore.

Mark

#11 ·
Mark, There's a Ferry from Liberty Landing to NYC. No need to Subway it.
The ferry doesn't show up on the google maps transit route, but it takes 15 minutes
and runs mostly every 1/2 hour. $7 from the marina to brookfield place (WTC area)

The Path train is a 20 minute walk from the marina.. ( or $9 uber) plus there are other ferries from nearby Paulus Hook.

/ed

#15 ·
Careful what you offer.... I'll be in New York with the boat next year for 4th of July :grin

And this November I will be doing a flash through NY without the boat for about 10 days leading up to the US Presidential election. Grabbing a car to do a few of the swing states, hopefully see a rally of each side... And then be there when the counts done.
:devil

BTW, last Fridays tourism of historic events was at Parliament Square, Westminster the moment the UK left the EU. Brexit!
Fantastic night.

That's my sort of tourism :)

Attachments

#14 ·
No need to worry about public transportation from Liberty Landing to NJ as the ferry runs to the WTC or Warren St till 9:00 PM, very convenient as it docks in the marina. The issue would be coming back from NY. They may be running special ferries that night. Liberty Landing is a far superior place for the other views, boat, and boat wash/ wakes. Can also visit the Statue and Ellis Island as they are right next door. Course you could easily Lyft, Uber or taxi it back. This marina is a class place and away from the crowds, and bustle of the city.

You may, however be able to see the some of the fireworks from the marina. The barges are located in the east river between South St Seaport and the Brooklyn Bridge. Maybe look into being on one of the tour boats. We did that one year and were very close on it.

Reactions: RobGallagher
#16 ·
I sail/live just off Manhasset Bay which is less than 2 hrs. to NYC on the boat. (35 minutes on the train)
We love going down the river to the city on the boat but NEVER on the 4th, not even when I owned a pier in Brooklyn,
which was a prime viewing location.
Reasons as explained in above posts. Even in a marina on the East river, picture accumulating wakes turning into surf
from boats departing after fireworks completed.

Liberty Island good. Transportation via ferry or path to NYC good although crowded after fireworks.
...or keep your boat in Manhasset bay or my marina on mooring for free and take 35 minute train ride to NYC.
(trains every half hour).

#19 ·
It's one thing to spend a night on a delivery and move on the next day, it's another being on vacation. I don't believe they have showers in the new Brooklyn Marina. And the wakes from the Ferries will toss you out of your bunk. They were still constructing the attenuating wall when I made a delivery from Eastern L.I. this fall. Also, getting in and out of there with the east river current running and the traffic isn't going to be a picnic. Can it be done, sure, just not my idea of relaxing.

#18 ·
I haven't been to London in ages, but thoroughly enjoyed my Trip. I was an aspiring artist at the time and spent days at the National Gallery. Did the whole Tower tour, Wax Museum etc. etc. Enjoyed the night life. When I tired of the City I headed north to the Lake District and then down and over to Ireland. I have tons of family there so can do it rather inexpensively.

#20 ·
Rob, here's another thought, that's sure to make Mark cringe. ;-)

You've got ten days on the near side of the 4th to get to NYC, more than enough time. Get down here early, spend time in and around the City! You can spend a night or two on the NY side and see the sights, and then hit Liberty Landing and see the Statue, Ellis Island and the Liberty Science Museum. Or spend the whole time in Liberty and commute to the city.

On the 2nd of July, or the morning of the 3rd, re-locate to the Atlantic Highlands and pick up a mooring ($50.00/ night )( reserve well ahead on Dockwa)
The Atlantic Highlands has an excellent fireworks display on the 3rd, and there's a fair in town! On the evening of the 4th, hop on to Seastreak which is right there in AH and for $90 per. They'll take you up and Back to see the Macy's fireworks.

i looked at some of the boat trips and many of them run in the $100's with dinner etc.

#21 ·
My understanding was a sail down to view the Fire works not visit the city from the boat. The latter is not really feasible except perhaps from Chelsea Piers, 70th St Boat basin or the Marina at 23rd Street on the East River. None of them seem appealing to stay over night in

Port Wash is a 1/2 hr or less train ride to the city. To sight see be prepared to take a lot of public transportation and do a lot of walking. Citi-bikes is another way to get around.

We've done the 4th at Newport and it's usually a boating mad house. but the next days it's a typical Newport day in the Harbor. The show from the anchorage is fabulous and why we see it there.

#22 ·
Do it. I was anchored between the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with my 24 foot Bristol for the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in 1986. What a Party! Anchored there the day before and got my spot. What a show!

Some tips:

If the weather looks good anchor the day before.

Don't leave your boat.
Keep your fenders out and have others at the ready,
Not all who show up have their anchor techniques down pat.
There will be current changes too.

DO NOT try to leave until the next day unless you love being rocked by hundreds of drunken power boaters heading in all directions at night .

My boat is one of the ones between the SOL and Ellis Island in the photo below. Though I doubt things will be this crowded as it was in 1986.

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Do it. I was anchored between the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with my 24 foot Bristol for the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in 1986. ......
I don't remember the year, but think it was ~1990 that I did the same. It was nutzo, as the OP asked. Glad I had the experience and glad I was 30 younger at the time. :)

The fireworks are no longer done in that spot, they are on the other side of Manhattan in the East River now.

edit: I didn't notice who was posting, so of course, you know where the fireworks are now.

#31 ·
North Cove is a nice little spot. Manhattan Sailing School operates from there. I'm not sure, but I don't believe that they have any shower facilities, they don't have many slips, and might have minimum stay for the 4th. I'd call em now.

I believe they all have minimum stays for the 4th, including Liberty Landing. Booking any of the area Marina's for the 4th would likely have to be done asap.

#32 ·
We did the NYC fireworks in 2000, with OpSail (Eagle was not the biggest) and world navies filling the harbor (three aircraft carriers with jump-jets and helicopters landing and taking off, and destroyers and tactical vessels lining the channel up to the GWB) , along with all the cruising boats, cabin cruisers, daysailers, runabouts, USCG and Police RIB’s, jet skis and kayaks. SUP’s were not in the equation then. It was fantastic, and the fireworks unbelievable. Definitely not an opportunity to be missed. Showers ashore? Who cares? A slip at Chelsea Piers sounds good. We anchored off Ellis Island and had many of the issues others have complained about, though their relevance has diminished in retrospect.

#36 ·
We did the NYC fireworks in 2000, with OpSail (Eagle was not the biggest) and world navies filling the harbor (three aircraft carriers with jump-jets and helicopters landing and taking off, and destroyers and tactical vessels lining the channel up to the GWB) , along with all the cruising boats, cabin cruisers, daysailers, runabouts, USCG and Police RIB's, jet skis and kayaks. SUP's were not in the equation then. It was fantastic, and the fireworks unbelievable. Definitely not an opportunity to be missed. Showers ashore? Who cares? A slip at Chelsea Piers sounds good. We anchored off Ellis Island and had many of the issues others have complained about, though their relevance has diminished in retrospect.
I was living on board at Chelsea Piers in 2000 and had a front row seat on my boat for the OP Sail event. Chelsea Piers is a great location for events like Op Sail and Fleet Week but, dockage is pricey especially for transients. Though access to the city is great.

#33 ·
Wow, all I can say is WOW. Thanks for so many thoughtful replies with advice.

I booked Liberty Landing through Dockwa. Sticker shock was a challenge but it's not something I'll do again soon. $8 per foot for the Fri/Sat night of the holiday weekend. $5 a foot the other nights. It's a lot to pay but we will make the best of it. Hopefully can see some of the fireworks from the marina, otherwise I'll look into booking a ride on a tour boat.

Will be taking our time getting there and coming home so hope to make lots of stops along the way.

Anyone need a mooring for 4th of July week in Stonington or Noank let me know. Mine will be empty.

#34 ·
Good choice Liberty Landing but a lot of tall buildings in the financial district between, thinking you would miss a lot/maybe all.
Maybe a call to the marina on a slow winter day would yield some insight.
The tour boats get good spots, you will have a front row seat.
If you can get a tour boat out of New Jersey, that would be a home run as transportation to and from fireworks will crowded.
Again maybe the marina can advise you if any leaving from Jersey or just spend day in the city and go from there.
Also viewing from Governors Island is very good. Do not think there is a direct ferry from Jersey but there are ferries from Manhattan
to Governors Island for a dollar or two. Thinking they will have extended hours for the fireworks but check just in case.
More info on city and western LI sound if you like.

#35 ·
I took a quick look, for dedicated firework ferries leaving and returning from Liberty Landing, 1st glance didn't see any, But I agree, I would either call the marina or the Ferry companies. NY waterway would be one to call, among others.

Liberty park is Huge, it's possible to be far enough south in the park to get a good view up the east river.

Jersey City has also held it's own fireworks display and festival on the Hudson since Macy's moved from the Hudson to the East River. I believe JC's fireworks are on the 6th this year. But, they haven't posted an official announcement yet, they are quite good.

#37 · (Edited)
Liberty park is Huge, it's possible to be far enough south in the park to get a good view up the east river.
Good call, that would be great (especially looking over the Statue of Liberty shoulder)
would surely be a picture for the scrapbook.(do they have them anymore?)

Also, little used by pleasure boats, an anchorage in the Bay Ridge flats, south of Governors Island, good view straight up Buttermilk channel between Gov. Is. and Brooklyn. Depth 15 ft. or so and is used as anchorage/few moorings for barges. Have used many times waiting for fair current, p.u. crew, waiting out weather. Pleasure boats stay away, but always plenty of room and barges block wind and waves. But never have been there on the 4th, and one should consider staying put fro the night after the fireworks.

#39 ·
My gut tells me the view from Liberty Landing isn’t going to be great It is 2nm from the show, with a bunch of buildings between. Fireworks are a few hundred feet high and many buildings are taller.

Those marina prices are incredible and up charging for the holiday is nutzo. You can always take the water taxi over. I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

#40 ·
Not a great idea to see the NYC fireworks from your boat. Sail to some place convenient to mass transit or take a Lyft or Uber to the area north or south of the South Street Seaport... or to the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights... Enjoy the show and go back to your boat.

You can watch the Newport Show from a boat... but the only thing Newport and New York have in common is the NEW...

Car traffic will be a mess... boats the same... do yourself a favor...use your noggin.

#41 ·
As no one except me has seen the fireworks close up recently can I chuck in my experience??

The last year on the Hudson I took the boat out. It was a complete and utter waste of time.
The Exclusion zone was 1 nm.
Then was the tourist/commercial boat zone. Also 1nms. These were all big boat one coudlnt see past.
Then was the pleasure boat zone. BUT the USCG wouldnt allow us near the back of the commercial zone, we had to stay back ,5nm. So we were 5 nms from the Fireworks.
They were so small at that range to be stupidly useless.

On the first year on the East River you walked (remember that word as all roads are closed, huge security areas etc etc etc) to the FDR Drive. There you get a great view. Or on the Brooklyn side.
There was no visibility for boats whatsoever. Tourist boats ever could only see it side on.

Now, 2020 the exact location has moved down river a few meters to be near the Brooklyn Bridge.

Also the best place to view this year will be the closed FDR Drive. Or on the Brooklyn side on the waterfront.
Governors Island will only see it side on, too... but that might be OK but it looks like a ticketed event.

To get any sort of real view leave the boat at home. Walk in from wherever. Go in by subway until it cant get closer and walk.
I went into town a few hours early and found a bar near the entry and got drunk for a few hours before it was time to go through security.
The timeing of that was *exact*. If you are in too early you will be shoved along the FDR Drive to the end. Too late and you wont get in at all. Its difficult to be perfect... but I was, of course :)

Is it worth it? Yes, YES, Yes! Its 100 times worth it to get properly close to watch these fireworks. Theres only one NY 4th of July Fireworks in the world and to see then blasting up all around you is a memory implanted for life. But the fireworks themselves are nothing all that special. Whats special is the Vivbe of the 4th of July in da big apple. So if its likely be a once in a lifetime event then you need to see them from close up where you are rubbing shoulders with a million Americans on their national day. I travel the world visiting countries National Days. Without doubt they are fantastic!

Here is the 2019 Fate National / Bastille Day. I was in France so whcih 4 hour train trip did I do?

Tourism is going to see. "Going".

https://www.visitmacysusa.com/event/macys-4th-july-fireworks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.