SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/332588-nyc-4th-july-am-i-nutzo.html)

RobGallagher 02-02-2020 12:12 PM

NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo?

I booked vacation time 10 days before and 10 days after the 4th of July to plan a trip.

Starting point is Mystic, CT and have two plans in my head. East to the Vineyard or West to NYC. Day sailing with stops along the way.

We are leaning towards NYC because (due to work) it will likely be a once in a lifetime event to get the 4th holiday weekend off. I could try to book Liberty Landing for a few days, arriving mid week before the 4th and leave on a weekday after. Take the 10 yr old and Admiral to see all the pertinent stuff, fireworks etc.

I know it will be insanity in NYC for that weekend but I feel I'd be safely in a slip and could have the best of both worlds. Am I nuts?

What would you do?

SanderO 02-02-2020 12:37 PM

Re: NYC - 4th of July - Am I Nutzo?

No... there's a marina in Brooklyn near the tip of Manhattan which could work for you too.

capta 02-02-2020 12:42 PM

I did the 4th in NY Harbor one year on a 100+ foot passenger vessel and it was a mad house. Literally thousands of boats on the water, mostly looking up at the fireworks, not at the boats around them!
If you can find a slip, I'd go on a tour boat and leave the Rolaids filled evening of boat driving to someone else.

tempest 02-02-2020 12:48 PM

The 4th of July is a Peak weekend no matter where you head. If you're looking to check the Fireworks in NYC off your bucket list then, I'd go for it, especially if you think you'd want to spend time in the city, seeing a show or hitting some museums etc.
There's also the Science Museum right near the Marina, which would be great for your 10 yo.

I suspect that you can get to Martha's Vineyard anytime you want from Mystic. Block Is. is a Zoo on the fourth. At least, as you say, in Liberty Landing you'd have a slip to yourself! If you reserve in time.

From Liberty, you could sail down to Sandy Hook and the Atlantic Highlands. Get some beach time etc. The Atlantic Highlands is a very boater Friendly town. (no inlets to deal with)

This is my neighborhood, so if you decide to come down, I can provide local knowledge and suggestions.

tempest 02-02-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanderO (Post 2051650886)
No... there's a marina in Brooklyn near the tip of Manhattan which could work for you too.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I sailed past there this spring and fall. It's not a place that I'd want to Vacation. ( relax) Too noisy, It was still under construction, and choppy. Liberty is tucked in off the Hudson, no wakes, less noise from the city. IMHO.

P.S. Capta's suggestion of viewing from one of the Charter's is a good one. I think there will probably be some leaving from Liberty Landing.

Minnewaska 02-02-2020 01:26 PM

I watched the NYC fireworks from a boat at anchor about 30 years ago. Different spot then they use now, but just as insane. One literally spends the entire evening fending off. In the dark! I'd never do it again. If the marina in Brooklyn had a good view of the fireworks, that sounds pretty nice.

I'm trying to recall if I've seen the fireworks in MVY, I just can't recall. I've seen them several times on ACK and they're very nice from the mooring field. You're not right under them, but they are easily seen.

SanderO 02-02-2020 02:38 PM

https://www.lohud.com/story/entertai...19/1503809001/

Brooklyn or the marina at 23rd Street in Manhattan will be fine locations. If you're in a slip you can watch from the Heights promenade of South Street Seaport.

Fireworks are in the East River...

tempest 02-02-2020 03:13 PM

Guys, I'd read the "Reviews" on the New Brooklyn Marina 1st - One 15 - they are very mixed.

Unless they've recently added them, there are no bathrooms or showers! The wave attenuation is not that great.

There's two things here. Best place to Stay, and best place to see the Fireworks. They don't necessarily have to be one and the same.

MarkofSeaLife 02-02-2020 03:18 PM

Ive done three 4th of Julys in NYC on the boat...:

79th St Boat Basin can not be booked and the transient moorings are always full on 4th of July week.

Liberty Landing is NOT New York. and its quite a long, time consuming public transport ride to NYC... and I cant see it being fun trying to get back from the fireworks on the subway.

Where would be GREAT is Chelsea Piers 23rd Street. You can walk everywhere especially the east River freeway where the fireworks are.

Its ultra expensive, about $5 per foot per night but I reckon it would be totally worth it. (Liberty Landing is going to be $3 per foot anyway).

I know a lot of people slag off at New York City, but I have travelled the world and I can tell you theres only one New York! Just one Big Apple, just one NYC for the 4th of July. Listen to Frank... he had it right :)

https://www.waterwayguide.com/marina...-3--marine-max
MarineMax Manhattan
Chelsea Piers, Pier 59
23rd St and the Hudson River
New York NY 10011
Phone: (212) 336-7873

I would book it now. It will definitely book out. :)

Also Chelsea Piers are just a walk along the Hudson River to Battery Park; a walk to SOHO; Greenwich Village; Little Italy, all the places a family wants to explore.

Mark

tempest 02-02-2020 03:31 PM

Mark, There's a Ferry from Liberty Landing to NYC. No need to Subway it.

Chelsea Piers might be an option. But also, no showers, and fixed and floating docks. I wouldn't want a fixed dock with that 5 foot tide.

The Best View of NYC, is from N.J. ;-) I go in, do my thing and get out.