New Tartan 37 with no where to stay from June to Sept - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2020 Thread Starter

New Tartan 37 with no where to stay from June to Sept

Hi! I am thrilled to realize a lifelong dream of owning a sailboat as beautiful as the 1979 Tartan 37 that I purchased last November but shocked at how difficult it is to find a place to keep her over the summer months around Cape Cod. I may have done the backwards, but does anyone have any ideas for where I might look for a deep water mooring or slip (40ft)? I am now on many waiting lists from Chatham to Falmouth, and belong to one small yacht club but still no available place for us. I live in Dennis and work full time in Boston during the week so perhaps I should invest in some upgrades and consider living on the boat for the summer in the future but that is not reasonable right now. Now I am expanding my search to the South Shore and RI, even Boston to see if there is a reasonable solution. Any suggestions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-03-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Re: New Tartan 37 with no where to stay from June to Sept

Welcome to SailNet!

You drive from Dennis to Boston every weekday?!?!

There are not many deepwater slips between Falmouth and Chatham, or Sandwich and Eastham (on the bay). I suggest that you look at Sandwich Harbor (on the canal), Plymouth, Scituate, Cohasset, or Boston Harbor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-03-2020

Nice boat... Sorry I don't have any info on that area though.

Shawn

post #4 of 10 Old 02-03-2020

Why insist upon a deepwater mooring for a boat that draws just over 4’ with the board up? Going shallower might open some doors. A friend of ours lives on his Catalina 34 at a marina north of Boston... it would be a lot shorter commute than Dennis!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-03-2020
ASA and PSIA Instructor

You can try
https://www.kingmanyachtcenter.com/
for a slip or seasonal mooring, its a wonderful marina with good access to Buzzards Bay.

In Boston try Boston Harbor Shipyard & Marina

Some of the small yacht clubs around Boston are often looking for new members, you can just stop by and talk your way in

Savin Hill Yacht Club - Home
https://www.squantumyc.org/
Wollaston Yacht Club - Wollaston Yacht Club
https://www.cpyc.org/

Also
https://www.captainscovemarina.com/

Or work your way thru
https://marinas.com/browse/marina/US/MA
post #6 of 10 Old 02-03-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Why insist upon a deepwater mooring for a boat that draws just over 4’ with the board up? Going shallower might open some doors. A friend of ours lives on his Catalina 34 at a marina north of Boston... it would be a lot shorter commute than Dennis!
Some Tartan 37s had a fixed keel with a draft of 6½ feet. I assume that the OP has one of these.

To the OP:
Falmouth, Woods Hole, and almost anywhere along Buzzards Bay would be able to accomodate you as well as the towns that I posted above.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #7 of 10 Old 02-03-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Some of the small yacht clubs around Boston are often looking for new members, you can just stop by and talk your way in

Savin Hill Yacht Club - Home
https://www.squantumyc.org/
Wollaston Yacht Club - Wollaston Yacht Club
https://www.cpyc.org/
I would stay away from the clubs in Quincy (Squantum & Wollaston), as the water is very skinny in Quincy Bay.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-03-2020 Thread Starter

Awesome responses and thank you all for the suggestions, I am on it! Draw is 4ft so don’t necessarily need more depth than necessary. I will keep plugging away , hoping not to have join multiple yacht clubs just to be on lists though. I rent an apt near Boston so don’t do that drive every day for now.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-03-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by litdeb39 View Post
Draw is 4ft so don’t necessarily need more depth than necessary.
Ten you should have LOTS of options, and don't need a deepwater slip.
Here's one as an example:
Allen Harbor Marine Service
Address
335 Lower County Road, PO Box 445
Harwich Port, MA 02646
US
www.allenharbor.com
Contact Information
Phone:508-432-0353 toll free: 800-832-2467
VHF Channel:9/16
Email:[email protected]
It seems they have 7 feet of water at MLLW.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-04-2020

Try Woods Hole Marina or Pinky's marina in Eel Pond Woods Hole. They usually have seasonal rentals available if you contact them early. The trick will be finding a place to park.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in