Great Lakes water levels - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

Great Lakes water levels

Water levels in all the Great Lakes are at, or near, historic highs for this time of year. And as we know, this is supposed to be the low point in the season. The predictions for the coming Spring and Summer season have water levels increasing (as per normal) but remaining at record-breaking levels.

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/dash...GLD_HTML5.html

This is going to be further bad news for a lot of marinas and other structures built close to shore. I'm no longer in the Great Lakes, but I wonder if people are already planning for the coming soggy Spring/Summer season.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 2 Days Ago

Re: Great Lakes water levels

It's a bit hard not to think about. It's not just the water levels. It's the currents too.

Figure boating season is May to October. 6 months. If you pay full price for a marina/club, there is no flood refund. If May and June are write offs, your cost per month for boating goes up by %30. Yipes.

Last year the flood effects were still being felt in August. Infrasctructure damage in the spring resulted in more competition for the infrasctructure that wasn't damaged even in late summer. Last summer was kind of crumby boating around here.

This pic was taken late July in 2019 on Lake Ontario. People are getting wise and nailing things down to their docks.
Attached Thumbnails
MuskokaChairs.jpg  
post #3 of 18 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

I left Lake Ontario in 2017, riding the outflow of that high water year. I'm sure you remember the high water and high currents from that year. It all seemed to be running at least a knot higher in speeds all the way to Montreal.

Here's a couple of pics from our marina at the time. The walkway and wall that the boats are tied to was normally a couple of meters above the water level. And this coming season could be as bad, or even worse.
Attached Thumbnails
_IGP4580.jpeg   _IGP4549.jpeg   _IGP4498.jpeg  

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 2 Days Ago
Always learning...

Lake Erie sailor here. We have been generally fortunate in the Erie, PA area, but there have certainly been issues. Last winter, the high water combined with ice issues caused a lot of damage to the state park marina on Presque Isle, and the ever-present shoreline erosion problem was exacerbated by the water levels. Our season was unaffected last year, and I don’t expect any issues with in and out this coming season at our marina, but that’s probably not the case for everyone. I know there have been issues with ramps because of high water, which has the potential to affect a lot of lake boaters in our area.

Jonathan

S/V Pinniped
Jason 35
post #5 of 18 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

The forecast for Erie has the range going above last year's already high water mark. Lets hope the actual amount comes in on the low end.

BLOG:
post #6 of 18 Old 2 Days Ago
1968 Columbia 50

Things are not looking good for the western end of the Great Lakes Basin. Last year I spent a lot of time along the East side of Lake Michigan in the harbor towns. The flooding and damage are unprecedented. Roads closed and building damaged due to flooding. Complete areas underwater, or gone due to erosion.

The beach at South Haven Michigan lost half it's beach over a two days span, flooding the parking area. The downtown of South Haven is expected to have over $20M in damage just this year alone.

Here is an example of just one city trying to cope with the water levels and boaters:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4457...icy#from_embed

Many marinas have docks just above water level, or are underwater altogether.

January ended with record water levels, up approx. 3" above the previously recorded level, last year, and 19" above the average datum level for this time of the year. Things are only expected to get worse.

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missi...-Water-Levels/

http://lre-wm.usace.army.mil/Forecas...GLWL-Graph.pdf

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #7 of 18 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Old soul

Remember just a few years ago everyone was complaining about the low water levels throughout the basin? Up here in Canada the conspiracy theories were rampant about how the Americans were somehow stealing all the water..

I bet some people are going to start suggesting we drain the Lakes now -- bring in that big pipe to feed California.

BLOG:
post #8 of 18 Old 23 Hours Ago

Why haven't more marinas gone to floating docks?

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
post #9 of 18 Old 23 Hours Ago

Dock

I live on the Clinton River, a tributary to Lk St Clair, part of the river between lakes Huron & Erie. The water now is at its typical high mark for the year. The is likely the lowest water level of the year. We are looking at raising our seawall. Last year I replaced our docks with adjustable ones. I'll have to raise them.

None of this is really a problem. The super rains we've had in the past few years caused our driveway to slide a bit ($ouch$), and a foundation of the house to slump ($$$ouch$$$). My house was built in the 1960's & has had no issues until 2 years ago. It was built by a residential contractor to be his personal home- the place is SOLID.

And, my canvas shop is in the basement- the floor is currently at the water table. The sump pump runs every 2 minutes. Yes, we have a backup pump & 2 backup generators.

I'm terrified.

At the marina, they are rebuilding the docks & all associated structure.
Arcb likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 23 Hours Ago
Master Mariner

Gee, the one thing I really liked about the Great Lakes was lack of tide and currents there. Now you are saying that's no longer true? Woe is me, lol.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in