Bermuda to Gibraltar - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Bermuda to Gibraltar

I am helping a friend sail his Passport 54 across the Atlantic. I am trying to calculate whether I have the time to do the full two legs of Bermuda to Azores, then Azores to Gibraltar. I am definitely doing the first leg, departing May 20. Luckily, I have never had to bail on a skipper because of weather delays, and I never want to. I like to factor in 5 days, more or less depending on the distance sailing, for weather delays. I know taking the Northern route West to East can be more challenging than going the other way. From those who have made the trip, what are some factors I should consider when budgeting time? Do these factors change from the first leg to the second leg?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Re: Bermuda to Gibraltar

Chatted with the boat owner tonight and we may sail from Tortola direct to Azores. So I defiantly won’t be doing the last leg to Gibraltar.
post #3 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
Master Mariner

I'd PM Mark. He did that trip a couple of years back.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
Slayer (5 Days Ago)

post #4 of 11 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'd PM Mark. He did that trip a couple of years back.

Thanks Capta. I remember him making the trip. I’m going to see if he posted about it.
post #5 of 11 Old 5 Days Ago

Not that their YouTube video would be instructive, although it was interesting, but the crew aboard SV Delos made the Bermuda to Azores passage last spring. Sounds like the plan is in flux, but if this becomes the focus again, I’d bet they’d reply to a Facebook or other contact. May cost you a dollar or two (literally no more) to gain access to a Patreon portal for questions.
Slayer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 11 Old 4 Days Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post

Thanks Capta. I remember him making the trip. I’m going to see if he posted about it.
Yes, I did post about it and included charts.

I'll look for it on the weekend. But I'm a bit busy because the GF is here and it's Valentines
Slayer and KayakerChuck like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 11 Old 3 Days Ago

Dock

@Slayer

Heres the two threads.

The first is pre-departure and the second is on arriving at the Azores. (BTW the bit from Azores to Gibraltar is easy)

The second link has good charts to show the weather systems and what happened.

The first thread isnt really relevant.... I lost the use of the "A" on my keyboard (I later lost the "S" too!). it just says goodbye.
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...-tomorrow.html

This thread is the good one to read closely. Study/download the screenshots as they are all important. It shows the gale zone,, azores high etc. I havent re-read it today before this post.
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...hy-tricky.html

Any questions just ask and I will make up an answer that sounds dramatic

Mark
Slayer likes this.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #8 of 11 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

Thank you very much Mark!!!!
post #9 of 11 Old 4 Hours Ago
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
@Slayer

Heres the two threads.

The first is pre-departure and the second is on arriving at the Azores. (BTW the bit from Azores to Gibraltar is easy)

The second link has good charts to show the weather systems and what happened.

The first thread isnt really relevant.... I lost the use of the "A" on my keyboard (I later lost the "S" too!). it just says goodbye.
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...-tomorrow.html

This thread is the good one to read closely. Study/download the screenshots as they are all important. It shows the gale zone,, azores high etc. I havent re-read it today before this post.
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...hy-tricky.html

Any questions just ask and I will make up an answer that sounds dramatic

Mark
Hi Mark,

Planning my own trip across the Atlantic this spring and have a question or so. I'll be leaving from north Florida so a little different route that you took from the Caribbean. Considering it would be a 1000 mile bash to windward to get to the Caribbean I think I'll stick with departure from FL.

So from FL the route that makes sense to me is FL to Bermuda. Then from Bermuda check the weather and decide if we will head to UK or Ireland or maybe France with a stop in the Azores or to Gibraltar and the Med with or without an Azores stop.

The question I have, you mentioned that would never do that route from Bermuda to Europe because you would be in the gale zone the whole time. However when I look at the weather maps and pilot charts, Bermuda most of the time is inside the north edge of the Azores high (I always called it the Bermuda high but same thing) and frequently in calms. So to sail the line between calms and gales would usually require heading a bit north from Bermuda before turning east to stay in that green zone.

This all of course assumes spring departure when the Bermuda high is a little farther north than in the winter.

The only minor difference that makes sense from the US is to run up the coast to Charleston SC or Beaufort NC and depart for Bermuda from there. That would make the ocean passage 100-150nm shorter.

Last edited by skipmac; 4 Hours Ago at 12:55 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 3 Hours Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

So from FL the route that makes sense to me is FL to Bermuda. Then from Bermuda check the weather and decide if we will head to UK or Ireland or maybe France with a stop in the Azores or to Gibraltar and the Med with or without an Azores stop.

The question I have, you mentioned that would never do that route from Bermuda to Europe because you would be in the gale zone the whole time. However when I look at the weather maps and pilot charts, Bermuda most of the time is inside the north edge of the Azores high (I always called it the Bermuda high but same thing) and frequently in calms. So to sail the line between calms and gales would usually require heading a bit north from Bermuda before turning east to stay in that green zone.
Yes. This is the exact thing I disagree with so I will lay out my reasons for you to consider.

lets start with the map that doesnt should a florida start. and Attached the Pilot chart for June, attached at the bottom of the post .

The yellow line is the boundary of the Azores High (whatever its called )
I think if you run a line from Cape Hatteras to Azores (not a Great Circle Route) you get the Gale Line that I am takinig about. Yes,, bermuda isnt *exactly* in it. However if you are IN Bermuda and go to the Azores you are in that gale line for a long time, some 2,000 nms.
However, if you can start on the Florida Coast SOUTH of, and Remain south of Bermuda then you reduce the distance in that gale zone.
See the Gale Zone on the small pilot chart... the line of 1's in the gales. Yes, theyre only 1's but they are less than reality. Also see the green storm line.
So my idea is never to do the Great Circle Route on that passage but to keep low and follow the Yellow Line once you are out there.
The Pilot Chart shows that if you leave Florida you can get out there, yes, close hauled for a few days untill the wind begins to come astern of you.

I would advocate leaving Florida as far south as you can and sail for the Azores and then make up your mind your destination when you have arrived in the Azores. (which is what I did... I was going to do Gib, or Porto, then France... but finally headed for the UK).

The weird thing about the Azores is they are in the way no matter which way you are going. In other words theres no problem about stopping in there because you will bump into them anyway.

Still, if when you are doing your considerations just remove Bermuda and the Azores off the map, and then see how your passage plan works.

Further, theres no real problem about making the final destination decision whilst you are at sea. You dont really need to be on some bit of rock. You have satellite weather? Then you can do it anywhere.

Many people plan to stop at Bermuda and the Azores for "impure" reasons. They want to stop because they are scared about the number of days at sea if they dont stop. However, stopping for 1 day doesnt work. Once youve had you rest, got fed, got drunk and hit the supermarket, one whole week has gone by. Now, as lovely as Bermuda and the Azores are, they're *nothing* compared to our European destination. Thats the main game! Not the islands in between.

Your decisions on which way to do the passage are your own decisions and I will, nor should anyone else, second guess you how you should do it. A lot of people will tell you to go to Bermuda and then head north until the Westerlies come in. Thats the "standard" way. I think they are crackers because they will hit gales. I head south to avoid the gales but mine will be a slower voyage because theres less wind. But that is no problem to me But its crackers to other people
Attached Thumbnails
pilot.jpg   pilot2.jpg  

Sea Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in