post #11 of 19 Old 02-14-2020 Thread Starter

Thanks all
Great information
This is why I love sailnet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 02-14-2020

Re: East Coast sailing North

All my initial thoughts have been mentioned already, so Iíll state the more obvious. The latter half of your trip, in that time frame, will be extremely cold. Unless the boat has a serious diesel heater, sleeping at night will be a challenge. I begin sleeping aboard, at a slip, on April 1. Even with a heat pump and space heater, itís camping cold at night. Iíve yet to try the idea of an electric blanket, but of course, that requires shore power too. Some say an inverter could work overnight.

Anyway, our first shakedown off the dock is always approx May 1 and those evenings are always a challenge, met entirely by the enthusiasm of a new season. Doing that for days or weeks on end would be tough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-14-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
All my initial thoughts have been mentioned already, so I’ll state the more obvious. The latter half of your trip, in that time frame, will be extremely cold. Unless the boat has a serious diesel heater, sleeping at night will be a challenge. I begin sleeping aboard, at a slip, on April 1. Even with a heat pump and space heater, it’s camping cold at night. I’ve yet to try the idea of an electric blanket, but of course, that requires shore power too. Some say an inverter could work overnight.

Anyway, our first shakedown off the dock is always approx May 1 and those evenings are always a challenge, met entirely by the enthusiasm of a new season. Doing that for days or weeks on end would be tough.
I installed an Espar Airtronic 4 which has a 3000 watt output. We have 3 outlets which can direct air or can be closed. One in aft cabin, one in salon and one in head. I close the salon for sleeping and the head is reduced small flow.
In fall and Spring temps aft cabin is warm as home, salon is a cool, head a bit warmer... but the seat gets warmed. :-)

I don't sleep in winter but do work projects. Then I leave only the salon open and it takes more than an hr to warm the cabin from bitter cold to acceptably cool to work wearing a sweater... and it gets warmer over time.

The air volume of the aft cabin in small and it's very well insulated.

When I sail in cool spring or fall weather I often run the heater to warm the cabin.

This has worked out very well an extended the use dates from March/April - October/November.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 02-14-2020 at 09:32 AM.

post #14 of 19 Old 02-14-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

March and Early April- season of noríeasters moving up the coast

Doubtful the discussion off adding internal diesel heat is possible or even practical even though a few have that already on their boats. Plus the expense.

We have a portable propane heater which is very safe we use to elongate our sailing season. You can hook to 1 lb bombs but easily connected with an adapter to our 20 Lb propane tanks. Keeps our 35 ft toasty. We do vent it as a precaution.

We have also put our full enclosure up and used it in the cockpit.

https://www.campingworld.com/mr.-hea...html?rrec=true

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #15 of 19 Old 02-14-2020
Dirt Free

I've done that trip at that time of year without heat.
Wouldn't do it again.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-16-2020

Have an Espar heater on board that I have not used in years since I converted to electric propulsion. I no longer carry diesel on board so it has sat idle. Did find it useful when making late March/early April trips to New York when I was working there. Now have a Honda 2000 gas generator for battery charging at anchor but, it could also power a ceramic heater under 1600 watts in the cabin. I also find that the fan that blows across the engine provides plenty of heat to warm the hands of the helmsman and drys/heats gloves and other clothing.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

post #17 of 19 Old 02-18-2020 Thread Starter

Good stuff about the heaters. We are a crew of Lake Huron and Lake Superior sailors having delivered boats in snow storms and dodging ice flows. Any info on the ditch would be great, dismal swamp route? Also any other navigational or anchoring advice would be helpful. Owner wants to leave mast on deck for transit up the ditch, will we clear most bridges at 10'? Looking to leave boat in lower Chesapeake/Norfolk area for a few months. Favorite marinas? Haul out advice, etc..
post #18 of 19 Old 02-23-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantzjunction View Post
Good stuff about the heaters. We are a crew of Lake Huron and Lake Superior sailors having delivered boats in snow storms and dodging ice flows. Any info on the ditch would be great, dismal swamp route? Also any other navigational or anchoring advice would be helpful. Owner wants to leave mast on deck for transit up the ditch, will we clear most bridges at 10'? Looking to leave boat in lower Chesapeake/Norfolk area for a few months. Favorite marinas? Haul out advice, etc..
We’ve been cruising full-time for 18 months and have done the ICW (with occasional outside hops) 3 times now.

My top suggestion is to get the AquaMap app and pay $10 (or is it $20?) for the master version. This will allow you to overlay the Army Corps of Engineers depth surveys on top of the route which is immeasurably helpful for the areas with skinny depths and shoaling. We had it for the first time on our trip this past fall and it removed all of the stress from those problem areas.

At 10’ bridge clearance you won’t have any problem scooting under virtually all of the bridges.

If you anchor in Calabash Creek in SC (just before the NC border), take the dinghy around the bend in the creek and buy fresh-off-the-boat shrimp for $7/pound.

Try to stay warm and enjoy!

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

post #19 of 19 Old 03-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
Weíve been cruising full-time for 18 months and have done the ICW (with occasional outside hops) 3 times now.

My top suggestion is to get the AquaMap app and pay $10 (or is it $20?) for the master version. This will allow you to overlay the Army Corps of Engineers depth surveys on top of the route which is immeasurably helpful for the areas with skinny depths and shoaling. We had it for the first time on our trip this past fall and it removed all of the stress from those problem areas.

At 10í bridge clearance you wonít have any problem scooting under virtually all of the bridges.

If you anchor in Calabash Creek in SC (just before the NC border), take the dinghy around the bend in the creek and buy fresh-off-the-boat shrimp for $7/pound.

Try to stay warm and enjoy!
Another AquaMap fan here! I strongly recommend the master version (only 10$). It's an invaluable tool.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in