4Likes
  • 1 Post By cb32863
  • 1 Post By SHNOOL
  • 2 Post By eherlihy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-13-2020 Thread Starter
Lake Sailor

US Sailing Vid

Nice video, 5 minutes, from US Sailing. Sure, its a little geared towards racing but, getting the kids involved young, seeing some of theses kids passion for the sport at a young age is what is really great. Though, there is the one kid that thinks 40 is old....

elliowb likes this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-14-2020
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: US Sailing Vid

I know a lot of folks here poo poo racing, but US Sailing is all about racing, and needs to be.
Competition breeds passion, a new sailor likely will not be able to hop in a 42 footer and bounce down the coastline to parts unknown. Honestly most folks employed cannot.

What is great is many of us racers, evolve into cruisers too. I love both.

If you listen to the intent of the young competitors you realize they KNOW this will be a life passion. What they don't know is how it'll evolve and include all aspects of sailing, boating, and travel!
cb32863 likes this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #3 of 5 Old 02-14-2020

Canít watch the vid right now, but I donít recall anyone here poo pooing racing.

There have certainly been harpoons thrown at some racers, for being inconsiderate, failing to follow rules, etc. But thatís just the bad apples and nothing do with racing in general. I dare say most sailors have raced at some point. Although, not many threads on racing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-14-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Funny that the kid says that he'll sail untill he is 40. I didn't get back into sailing untill I was 45!

I believe that I am one of the few people here that can state that they have taught both ASA and US/Sailing courses. Frequently I am asked which is better, and my answer is that neither one is better, the difference is that the curricula (and the assessments) stress different aspects of sailing. For example, when I have taught ASA 101 the schools emphasized learning how to simply control the boat and make it move and stop where you want it (mooring pickups and docking under sail). While teaching US/Sailing's Basic Keelboat course the school emphasized performance and how to deal with high winds. Both ASA and US/Sailing required COB exercises and naming of the parts of a boat.

I was on racing crew of Soling one designs for one season. I have to say that I did not like it. Whie I enjoyed being out on the water, I found that I did not like the close quarter manuvering as ten, or more, boats tried to make the mark at the same time. Frankly, I found it too stressful to enjoy. This past weekend I crewed on an O'day 322 that was competing in a "casual persuit distance race" and thouroughly enjoyed it. We had 20-25kt winds, with 2-3' chop, and it was a fun ride. There were fewer boats, and the marks were spaced much farther apart, so there were no crowds of boats trying to make it around the windward mark. (No fiberglass was harmed in the filming of this movie.) It may have helped that the skipper treated us all to beer and wings after the event in order to express his appreciation. The skipper's wife, however did NOT enjoy the conditions. My wife was not aboard, nor would she have allowed me/us to race - it isn't her thing.

Hey, if racing is what gets you out on your boat; go do that. If cruising is your thing; do that. Don't, however stress one to the exception of the other.
SanderO and Minnewaska like this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Canít watch the vid right now, but I donít recall anyone here poo pooing racing.

There have certainly been harpoons thrown at some racers, for being inconsiderate, failing to follow rules, etc. But thatís just the bad apples and nothing do with racing in general. I dare say most sailors have raced at some point. Although, not many threads on racing.
I am not a fan of the round the buoys racing... but if is floats your boat... go for it.

I have only done an ocean race really just to test me and the boat in the ocean... not to compete. But every sailor tries to... or should try to... get their boat to perform at max.

I did race a few times out in Shelter Island in Wednesday (??) even race from the Greenport to the R16 in Noyack bay. It was just a time for all the local sailors to get out in the evening and have some fun. Pretty sail... not terribly crowded.

Mostly races seem to "be in the way"... as in on a rhumb line of some course I am on. hahahaha So I have to dodge or sail around.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in