Love the one your are with!! ❤️ - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 Old 02-19-2020

Re: Love the one your are with!! ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
SchockT,

Thanks for the comments. I dont want to go through the whole headsail issue here. The damn Yankee is producing heel and weatherhelm. I have eliminated the main.
Well, if you love your boat, a new suit of sails would be money well spent! There is nothing worse than old bagged sails when the wind picks up!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 Old 02-19-2020 Thread Starter

ShockT,

I started a new thread in General on this .... Calling JeffH ...weatherhelm.

I laid out my knowledge there.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #23 of 47 Old 02-20-2020

My wife and I agonize over whether wed like to have really big sailboat for a period of our lives. We were actually in contract for one last year, but it fell through. The PO got selfish, or wed own it today. Other than money, the dilemma is that today we could handle her operation. Once retired, who knows. Buy it while you could use it and throw a lot of retirement money down the drain. Wait to see what health and retirement brings and round and round it goes.

A buddy is in the same situation. He wants a newer, bigger boat. We are both interested, not exclusively for our personal comfort, but for the many guests we both have. Anyway, he looks at me and asks how Id feel, if my current boat was my last. I could instantly and honestly say, Id live happily ever after. Sure, I keep upgrading stuff aboard, but its no different than remodeling your kitchen at home.
hpeer and SanderO like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 47 Old 02-20-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Go figure, here I sit up on a mountain watching the first snow begin, sharpening my skis, and what am i thinking about.....thinking about sailing season!

Disclaimer here, we don't live aboard and probably never will, have only so many miles under our keel since we returned to sailing three years ago after over a 25 year hiatus so only so much perspective, retired a decade ago and not getting younger, and own the boat we dreamed about owning 31 years ago (new design in 1988) when we first gave up the habit of tricking the wind into moving our boat. She is not big, nor is she commodious. She has some wrinkles from age and regular checkups are necessary, but she still turns heads and most importantly mine. She still has her same sea kindly and sea worthy moves and she is still made and is an older unchanged design because, as the company that made her says, the demands of the sea have not.

I have been married over forty years and there are many things we both wish were a little different about each other. We are no longer the young immortal folks we once were, need regular check ups, are not as sleek as newer designs, but we also know we are still grateful for having each other regardless of what time has wrought and would never change because the demands of life have not.

...... love the one your with.
MikeOReilly and bshock like this.
post #25 of 47 Old 02-20-2020

Sometimes you put money in a boat you can't recover.

But sometimes, if you don't upgrade, it's not that you will get it back in the obvious way, it's that your boat will actually sell without cutting the price 50%. So perhaps, you got it back after all.

The way the market is now, smart people don't even look at boats are not in prime condition. Why bother?
chall03 and MikeOReilly like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #26 of 47 Old 02-20-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Sometimes you put money in a boat you can't recover.

But sometimes, if you don't upgrade, it's not that you will get it back in the obvious way, it's that your boat will actually sell without cutting the price 50%. So perhaps, you got it back after all.

The way the market is now, smart people don't even look at boats are not in prime condition. Why bother?
Yes that is what I mean when I say "minimize the depreciation".

I have to disagree about not looking at boats that aren't in prime condition. If you are a DIY boater you may be able to get into a lot more boat than you would otherwise be able to afford. A lot of deferred maintenance items that reduce the selling price are easy enough to catch up on. Believe it or not some people actually enjoy working on boats!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #27 of 47 Old 02-20-2020 Thread Starter

One difference in the opinions in this thread is that some of us expect to sell our boat at some time, and some of us dont.

I guess a time will come when we must part with the boat, but hopefully its still a long way off and she wont be worth much by then simply because of age.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #28 of 47 Old 02-20-2020
bell ringer

I don't put money into or do things to my boat to “get money back”. I do those things to make living and traveling in my home better.

I will never get that money back. Have you not read all the “how to buy a boat and screw the seller” threads here and on other forums?
hpeer and MikeOReilly like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Last edited by Don L; 02-20-2020 at 06:33 PM.
post #29 of 47 Old 02-22-2020

Timely thread for us. We’ve been cruising full time on our Bristol 29.9 for 18 months (currently in the Bahamas for our second winter). After listening to so many people tell us we need a bigger boat, I got curious and decided to see what’s out there on YachtWorld and Sailboatlistings.

What I discovered is that for our price range and search parameters, it’s all a step down. Granted, we did a complete refit before we left which skews the results for us, but things like water tankage capacity don’t typically change with a refit.

Do we need more space for storage? No. Would it be nice to go a bit faster and be more comfortable in heavier conditions, which a longer waterline and more weight would give us? Sure. Am I willing to give up the new engine, new standing and running rigging, new sails, Firefly batteries, windvane, new electric windlass, etc., all in a boat that I find aesthetically attractive and that makes me smile when I spot her as I’m dinghying back to the anchorage to get it? Definitely not. Particularly given the kind of cruising that we like to do, which we learned only by actually doing it (the reality is certainly different than the fantasy).

Yeah, we’ll take a bath on her when we eventually sell, but so what. In the meantime we definitely love the one we are with, and I appreciate her even more after looking to see what else is out there that is realistically obtainable for us now that we’ve retired.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

post #30 of 47 Old 02-22-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
After listening to so many people tell us we need a bigger boat
Why would somebody tell someone that? I mean, unless it was a tautological thing where someone was saying their boat was too small.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in