Selling your boat - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 Old 02-27-2020
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: Selling your boat

Chef, no doubt the C&C 32 would be great on the Chessie.

In fact I can't help but wonder how well I'd have loved to sail the boat in the BVIs. The finer bow entry and the fin keel and frankly the entire cockpit is better setup for a couple to cruise on than that beautiful Oceanis 35 we were on. Sorry the C&C just sails better. That stubby keel and twin rudders of the Bendy toe made it hate heel and the wide/square stern and blunt bow made it bounce more than I'd want for a personal choice boat.

The Oceanis had bigger water tankage, and had engine hot water, both things I could do on my C&C, but then the Oceanis was supposed to be 3 feet bigger, just didn't feel it to me.

Yeah if I were to venture to larger waters, with some equipment upgrades, I'd not hesitate to take this C&C. She is very sea kind and stands up to heavier winds nicely. But reality is within me, and I know I am likely landlocked for the foreseeable future. I have roughly 18 more years of work (I'm 48), but I still want to sail in the meantime. So I'm a lake sailor - for now.

We have 2 horses and 8 dogs, and do competition with our dogs from horseback (although not the last 2 years due to career changes for us both), most of that doesn't play well with spending days at a time on the water. Someone has to watch animals. We used to have my grown son and his wife watching animals when we lived in PA, but now they are in PA and we're in VA, and we don't have that "luxury." They are talking about moving down our way, so who knows.

Right now the C&C is probably overkill for our lake. But 30 minutes drive in the car... walk 100 feet down the dock, hop aboard and sailing in minutes. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I'm loving that my boat can be in the water 24x7x365 too. This one is due for a short haul, clean and bottom touch up though. In due time.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 02-27-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Chef, no doubt the C&C 32 would be great on the Chessie.

In fact I can't help but wonder how well I'd have loved to sail the boat in the BVIs. The finer bow entry and the fin keel and frankly the entire cockpit is better setup for a couple to cruise on than that beautiful Oceanis 35 we were on. Sorry the C&C just sails better. That stubby keel and twin rudders of the Bendy toe made it hate heel and the wide/square stern and blunt bow made it bounce more than I'd want for a personal choice boat.

The Oceanis had bigger water tankage, and had engine hot water, both things I could do on my C&C, but then the Oceanis was supposed to be 3 feet bigger, just didn't feel it to me.

Yeah if I were to venture to larger waters, with some equipment upgrades, I'd not hesitate to take this C&C. She is very sea kind and stands up to heavier winds nicely. But reality is within me, and I know I am likely landlocked for the foreseeable future. I have roughly 18 more years of work (I'm 48), but I still want to sail in the meantime. So I'm a lake sailor - for now.

We have 2 horses and 8 dogs, and do competition with our dogs from horseback (although not the last 2 years due to career changes for us both), most of that doesn't play well with spending days at a time on the water. Someone has to watch animals. We used to have my grown son and his wife watching animals when we lived in PA, but now they are in PA and we're in VA, and we don't have that "luxury." They are talking about moving down our way, so who knows.

Right now the C&C is probably overkill for our lake. But 30 minutes drive in the car... walk 100 feet down the dock, hop aboard and sailing in minutes. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I'm loving that my boat can be in the water 24x7x365 too. This one is due for a short haul, clean and bottom touch up though. In due time.
Understand. I am 17 years older. The children responsibilities will change. I went through that phSe also. Good you have a boat you really like. Our 35 required some addition to go on a three week cruise.

Water tankage was one, but easily figured out. In fact we have two tanks each 60 gallons, the original one and and a nitrile one which we only fill when we need to. Both connected by a simple valve. Most of the time we have its extra space as 60 gallons is more than enough for a 3 day weekend on the Bay.

Maybe in the future you will downsize a little so you can enjoy your boat in a different setting. You still live within range to go to your boat on a Friday night or Saturday AM for a weekend. We let the animals dwindle down and will get dogs when we stop sailing. Using the boat out in the open and anchoring is a whole different use. Plus you are close to an area for that. You aren’t in Kansas.

Hopefully your 32 is what you can live with so you can really so upgrades. We’ve owned our 35 for 28 years of its 36 yer life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #33 of 34 Old 03-01-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
If I ever became a solo cruiser I'd downsize to something in the 28-32 range. The perfect size for one, although I know a family of three who spends weeks a time on their C&C 32 and does just fine. Nice boats.
Well Mike my 26’ Hake Yacht is for sail. Blue water tuff with a 900# winged bowed keel with inboard diesel With only 257 hours....she’s so sweet. Has trailer!
561-281-5205
$22,000

post #34 of 34 Old 03-02-2020
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittner1978 View Post
Well Mike my 26’ Hake Yacht is for sail. Blue water tuff with a 900# winged bowed keel with inboard diesel With only 257 hours....she’s so sweet. Has trailer!
561-281-5205
$22,000
Thanks Hittner. It looks like a sweet little cruising boat. And with the trailer included, it sounds like a good deal. But luckily I'm not a solo sailor, and it doesn't appear I will be any time soon. That's why I said "If I ever became..."

But I'm sure someone will love your boat. Good luck.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in