Getting a trailor sailor moved - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-18-2020 Thread Starter
dadio917

Getting a trailor sailor moved

Hi - I'm buying a small boat on a trailer in WA state. Wondering if there is a shipping company that, along with other shipments, can hook it up and drag it down to reno? Seems to me I heard of such things....sort of shared Uber for shipping.
thanks

Dadio917
Valiant 39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-18-2020

Re: Getting a trailor sailor moved

One problem with trailer sailer boat trailers is that they are notoriously in poor shape. People don't use them much or maintain them. They look OK, but the bearings are bad. You head down the road and a wheel bearing goes or a dry rotted tire fails. Just sayin', the trailer needs to be inspected before a long road trip.

I say this because I was considering such a thing, and several transporters said they wouldn't touch boat trailers.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #3 of 12 Old 03-18-2020
Barquito

There are various trucking websites that have independent drivers bid on contracts. Shouldn't be too complicated to load the boat and trailer onto a flatbed. If not, then tow it yourself, or rent a U-haul with a hitch. As pdq suggested, it may turn into an adventure.

Valiant 32

post #4 of 12 Old 03-18-2020

You might be thinking of uship
post #5 of 12 Old 03-18-2020
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Ask jephotog about trailing. There is trailering, then there is trailering like he did with my old boat.
When I lived in PA. I bought, a Capri 22 from Finger Lakes NY, a Wavelength 24 from Buffalo, a Capri 25, from Nashua, NH, and an S2 7.9 from Ann Arbor, MI.

Ironically the Capri 22 went to Buffalo, NY, the Capri 25 went to Bentonville, AR, the S2 (where is it now jephotog?, well it went to CA at least), the Wavelength back to Cleveland OH.

Not all of us with trailer sailors have poor shape trailers is my point. Some of us know how to change a tire, and replace/pack bearings, fix trailer lights.
You'd be better off renting a Uhaul pickup and bringing it back yourself then at least you can have control over how the boat is treated.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #6 of 12 Old 03-18-2020

What type and size of boat are you buying?

Depending on the size of the boat, it might be possible to have the boat, on the trailer, loaded onto a flatbed truck.

Or as SHNOOL suggests, just get a truck and go pick it up yourself. Unless the trailer has been maintained, it will need some work for the journey home. Wheel bearing are easy to replace, and even easier to repack. Might also be a good idea to consider replacing the tires at this time as well. If its a small enough boat, you could just buy new tires already mounted on steel rims.

Jim
post #7 of 12 Old 03-18-2020

I second the concept of basically requiring a new axle, suspension, bearings, and wheels before I'd consider towing a used rando boat trailer thousands of miles. All or some depending on how good you are at analyzing all the above.

I spoke to a boat owner last year when I was trailer launching my wacky trailer launching boat...he said that he towed a boat from Reno to SF bay.

When he got to SF Bay, in the parking lot, he noticed the hitch area looked bent. He gave it a kick with his boot and the hitch on the trailer fell off it was so rusty. Good timing there. Not good safety buffers though...

Last edited by ejbones; 03-18-2020 at 08:40 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-2020

I hate long drives, but I love road trips for a fun reason. Going to pick up my new boat with a rented truck would qualify. Stop for lunch, dinner, a few beers, whatever. The quality of the trailer is critical. Being able to grease the bearings is critical, for such a long trip. Im not sure how small were talking about. If a centerboard small boat, the trailer may even fit on a Uhaul trailer flatbed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbones View Post
I second the concept of basically requiring a new axle, suspension, bearings, and wheels before I'd consider towing a used rando boat trailer thousands of miles. All or some depending on how good you are at analyzing all the above....
When I sold my last trailer boat, the trailer was terrible. I had kept the boat in the water for 15 years. Before I sold it, new axle, wheels, tires, springs, winch cable, and wiring.The buyer was going 1500 miles and I felt better about that.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2020

My last 2 boat trailers I did new tires, wheels and bearings automatically as a matter if prudence. Didn't do axels, but it's all f.w. here. The lights always seem to be hit and miss no matter how well maintained.

A hauler with a flatbed is likely a safe bet.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in