What's your next sailing project? - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 03-21-2020 Thread Starter

What's your next sailing project?

Things are a bit slow for me. So, lots of yard work getting done and lots a time to dream up projects.

Here is my plan I have come up with for an airplane/trunk portable sailboat.

There is a company in Maine- Pakboats that makes folding Skin on Frame Canoes. 17 footer can carry 900+ pounds and weighs 56 pounds.

There is a company in the UK-Solway Dory, that makes custom sail rigs for canoes. Rig, mast step, sail, leeboard. I have spoken to SD and they have helped me with a mast step/lee board design for a SOF canoe.

Boom. Sailboat that I can fly with economy that can carry two adults and two kids for under $5k.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 03-22-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-21-2020

Smile Re: What's your next sailing project?

My next sailing project is to clean up my 1998 West Wight Potter 15 so that I can put her up for sale!

Trying to get my ducks in the row for my next sailboat. Would love to get a mid-2000's Hunter 33!

Jim
Arcb likes this.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-21-2020
Master Mariner

Re: What's your next sailing project?

Being quarantined aboard the boat we have lots of options, as long as we have everything we need aboard to do the jobs. Today we installed a new 110 volt boost pump for the watermaker, eliminating the 12 vdc Water Puppy.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 33 Old 03-21-2020

I spent most of the day working on the backlog around the house. Would rather be playing with sailboat, but momma needs to organize her sewing rooms before she start on the cushions. In order to do that... More shelves needed in the garage. So, on a roundabout way I did work on the boat. [emoji3]

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
mbianka and Arcb like this.

Newbie sailor with (now 2) San Juan 21.
post #5 of 33 Old 03-22-2020

I've been in the boatyard doing the bottom paint.... Its a great way to socially isolate. Seems not many people come around when there is dirty work to be done.... I just hope they don't close down and trap me in there.....
RegisteredUser and mbianka like this.
post #6 of 33 Old 03-22-2020

IL just began Stay at Home.

If your boat was launched, then home can be your boat in a marina.

Northern IL, early March--only 4 boats are in the water at my 800 slip marina.

My buddy tried, but he didn't beat the shutdown. Now the yard is CLOSED too for 2+ weeks.

With a newer to me 1982 C30, I am still in refit mode--so I have a TON of stuff to do over the winter and especially in the yard beginning in March when the weather cooperates. I aim for mid-May launch.

Well, needless to say, the yard projects will wait:
1. Fixing throttle linkage so it does not interfere with steering chain in pedestal. Reinstall compass, etc.
2. Run new VHF coax from mast base to radio belowdecks.
3. Reinstall cast aluminum mast base. Deck seems OK, but need to remove some sealant and verify core integrity. Mast currently unstepped.
4. Annual sanding and bottom paint, fix a couple of blisters.
5. Still chipping away at gelcoat chips and scrapes. Not structural, so this is ongoing.
6. Need to remove, reseal, and reinstall almost all hatches. This is ongoing I hope to have this done by end of season.
7. Etc. etc. etc. Ahhhhhhhhh!

On the bright side, I have newly fabricated wood spreaders to occupy me at home for the next two weeks. They will probably look real good when I am done!
--Drill oversized holes for the mounting bolts. Epoxy fill and then drill proper holes (kind of like potting deck holes).
--Roll on West System.
--Paint tops and sides with Interlux Brightside for UV protection.
--Spar varnish on bottoms for UV and to allow grain to be visible.

I know a fellow C30 skipper than encapsulated his new spreaders in fiberglass cloth. I think my epoxy solution will also waterproof them suitably.

Peace all.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-22-2020

Since the big boat is hauled in the next town over, I’ll have to focus on the boats at the house.
Most of the materials needed are on hand. First, the 5o5 needs new spinnaker sheets, topping lifts, and pole launcher lines. The mast ram control needs to be re-lead. The transom flaps need some attention, along with the spinnaker pole mast fitting. The trapeze twings - to switch between upper (when the spinnaker’s up) and lower (going upwind) on the mast - should be inspected and the control lines re-lead. The Dyer Dhow has to have the floatation re-installed under the thwarts and have it all neatened up. Paint is also involved. The kayaks need a new coat of varnish, but I might run out of that. The skiff needs to be uncovered and prepped too. Already turned over the garden, planted the peas, raked out the asparagus, put in the shallot sets, and trimmed the forsythia, so boats need to be started before the grass starts to need cutting.
Arcb likes this.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-22-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We finished our winter decommissioning.
Ready for our shakedown.
Next warm day 😀😀😀

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #9 of 33 Old 03-22-2020

Going to do a refit of the boat. Well as much of one as I can afford. Went back and forth as to whether to do the refit in the boat yard or have it trailed to my shop to work on. Decided to have it trailered to my yard. Still haven't recovered from Hurricane Michael and with everything that's going on I just felt like having it on my yard would be less stressful. Ordered a set of boat stands from Hostar but not sure when I will get them now that C-19 has put the screws to everything. Same goes for hauling the boat and coordinating the boat mover and crane. I'm also wondering how it's going to go getting parts. I need a new radial drive wheel from Edson and all the other while you're at it accessories that go along with that.... new throttle and shift cables, new steering chain and cables, while your at it might as well go ahead and re-wire the pedestal in case I want to add some new electronics..... yada yada yada and that's just one project. Hopefully the whole darn country won;t shut down and I'll be able to put the boat back together and go sailing again before I croak.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-22-2020
Old soul

My current project is trying to figure out if I can even get to my boat this season. It's currently about 2500 km away in Newfoundland, and I am not .

At this point I don't even know if I'll be able to drive there once the ice leaves the harbour. The world has gone mad...
mbianka and Uncle Bob the 1st like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in