SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What's your next sailing project?

4K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  edward martin 
#1 · (Edited)
Things are a bit slow for me. So, lots of yard work getting done and lots a time to dream up projects.

Here is my plan I have come up with for an airplane/trunk portable sailboat.

There is a company in Maine- Pakboats that makes folding Skin on Frame Canoes. 17 footer can carry 900+ pounds and weighs 56 pounds.

There is a company in the UK-Solway Dory, that makes custom sail rigs for canoes. Rig, mast step, sail, leeboard. I have spoken to SD and they have helped me with a mast step/lee board design for a SOF canoe.

Boom. Sailboat that I can fly with economy that can carry two adults and two kids for under $5k.

#33 ·
Sorry for bothering you JamesLD. I am also preparing to clean my beloved Rinker boat. But there is a small problem, that is, I do not know what substance to clean mold for the boat's chair.
I have read some articles, and I see the article of the 3M 09067 Marine Mildew Stain Remover product, it seems to work quite well and is clean. But with my little experience, I'm not sure. Have you ever used any type of solution before? Is there any one that really works?
Or you can spend a few minutes, you can help me whether the product is in
is this article ok? And should I use it or something else
Thank you so much, I hope to hear from you soon

#4 ·
I spent most of the day working on the backlog around the house. Would rather be playing with sailboat, but momma needs to organize her sewing rooms before she start on the cushions. In order to do that... More shelves needed in the garage. So, on a roundabout way I did work on the boat. [emoji3]

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

#6 ·
IL just began Stay at Home.

If your boat was launched, then home can be your boat in a marina.

Northern IL, early March--only 4 boats are in the water at my 800 slip marina.

My buddy tried, but he didn't beat the shutdown. Now the yard is CLOSED too for 2+ weeks.

With a newer to me 1982 C30, I am still in refit mode--so I have a TON of stuff to do over the winter and especially in the yard beginning in March when the weather cooperates. I aim for mid-May launch.

Well, needless to say, the yard projects will wait:
1. Fixing throttle linkage so it does not interfere with steering chain in pedestal. Reinstall compass, etc.
2. Run new VHF coax from mast base to radio belowdecks.
3. Reinstall cast aluminum mast base. Deck seems OK, but need to remove some sealant and verify core integrity. Mast currently unstepped.
4. Annual sanding and bottom paint, fix a couple of blisters.
5. Still chipping away at gelcoat chips and scrapes. Not structural, so this is ongoing.
6. Need to remove, reseal, and reinstall almost all hatches. This is ongoing I hope to have this done by end of season.
7. Etc. etc. etc. Ahhhhhhhhh!

On the bright side, I have newly fabricated wood spreaders to occupy me at home for the next two weeks. They will probably look real good when I am done!
--Drill oversized holes for the mounting bolts. Epoxy fill and then drill proper holes (kind of like potting deck holes).
--Roll on West System.
--Paint tops and sides with Interlux Brightside for UV protection.
--Spar varnish on bottoms for UV and to allow grain to be visible.

I know a fellow C30 skipper than encapsulated his new spreaders in fiberglass cloth. I think my epoxy solution will also waterproof them suitably.

Peace all.

#7 ·
Since the big boat is hauled in the next town over, I’ll have to focus on the boats at the house.
Most of the materials needed are on hand. First, the 5o5 needs new spinnaker sheets, topping lifts, and pole launcher lines. The mast ram control needs to be re-lead. The transom flaps need some attention, along with the spinnaker pole mast fitting. The trapeze twings - to switch between upper (when the spinnaker’s up) and lower (going upwind) on the mast - should be inspected and the control lines re-lead. The Dyer Dhow has to have the floatation re-installed under the thwarts and have it all neatened up. Paint is also involved. The kayaks need a new coat of varnish, but I might run out of that. The skiff needs to be uncovered and prepped too. Already turned over the garden, planted the peas, raked out the asparagus, put in the shallot sets, and trimmed the forsythia, so boats need to be started before the grass starts to need cutting.

#21 ·
Since the big boat is hauled in the next town over, I'll have to focus on the boats at the house.
Most of the materials needed are on hand. First, the 5o5 needs new spinnaker sheets, topping lifts, and pole launcher lines. The mast ram control needs to be re-lead. The transom flaps need some attention, along with the spinnaker pole mast fitting. The trapeze twings - to switch between upper (when the spinnaker's up) and lower (going upwind) on the mast - should be inspected and the control lines re-lead. The Dyer Dhow has to have the floatation re-installed under the thwarts and have it all neatened up. Paint is also involved. The kayaks need a new coat of varnish, but I might run out of that. The skiff needs to be uncovered and prepped too. Already turned over the garden, planted the peas, raked out the asparagus, put in the shallot sets, and trimmed the forsythia, so boats need to be started before the grass starts to need cutting.
I might have to do this too. I have a severe leak inside at the starboard chainplate for the upper shroud. I siliconed all over the upper shroud chainplate on deck and the leak did not change. I supect the leak is entering through the starboard side portlights and draining through the coachroof plywood and the deck plywood and exiting at the inner chainplate entrance. This is a neglected 1973 Columbia Yacht 41' Center Cockpit (CLYC 41 CC)

#9 ·
Going to do a refit of the boat. Well as much of one as I can afford. Went back and forth as to whether to do the refit in the boat yard or have it trailed to my shop to work on. Decided to have it trailered to my yard. Still haven't recovered from Hurricane Michael and with everything that's going on I just felt like having it on my yard would be less stressful. Ordered a set of boat stands from Hostar but not sure when I will get them now that C-19 has put the screws to everything. Same goes for hauling the boat and coordinating the boat mover and crane. I'm also wondering how it's going to go getting parts. I need a new radial drive wheel from Edson and all the other while you're at it accessories that go along with that.... new throttle and shift cables, new steering chain and cables, while your at it might as well go ahead and re-wire the pedestal in case I want to add some new electronics..... yada yada yada and that's just one project. Hopefully the whole darn country won;t shut down and I'll be able to put the boat back together and go sailing again before I croak.

#11 ·
I have to pull the cylinder head on my Volvo MD2020. Low compression on #3,and I suspect a burned intake valve.
I sent out the injectors for service, 1760 hours and 25 years of neglect.

Meanwhile, I traded my Z24 with 136 k on the clock for a Ducati Monster 900iewith only 12k on the clock.
One GoFast for another...

Attachments

#12 ·
Since my boat is in a refit in the backyard, I have a lot to do...still. Currently I am restoring the cockpit locker lids, and about to refinish the door to the head. I am also working on making new companionway doors, and putting the newly re-painted boom back together, with all it's assorted hardware remounted..

Once it warms back up, I can get back onto the boat to start there once again. Right now it sits under 3" of new fallen snow..ugh.

#13 ·
Thread makes me think what I have completed so far this winter, (have done much with mild weather here on Long Island/NY)
and what is still to do.
completed...
Cleaned fuel tank thru home made access panel.
Removed and resealed alum top to glass holding tank. (did'nt need my hazmat getup as my cleaning and flushing in fall worked)
Changed seals in lower shaft of saildrive (Yanmar SD20) Had to remove FOF folding prop installed by me with red loctite, was worried would have to torch but came off easy with breaker bar.
Installed new cut off cable to motor.
Had spare raw water pump bearings and seals changed.
Removed raw water valve on saildrive, famous for jamming,was going to replace but cleaned and removed 1/64" from outside barrel,
greased and replaced. Will see this year if continues to work before offering this up as a solution to other Yanmar saildrive owners.
Replaced exhaust hose, elbow to muffler. Love the new Vetus flexible hose! cleaned out elbow, nominal soft carbon build up.
still to do...
Install 2 new gp 31 batteries and fuses. (current only lasted 6 yrs/usually get 7 yrs)
New bimini, material only.
Repair seams on 3 sails.
Organize wires in aft locker to terminal block.
Remove and reapply Poli glow to hull.

Happy most jobs done, but will still miss April 1st in water.

#14 ·
I have a big list this year, but this virus is making me question just how much I will be able to get done. I bought the material/equipment to do the following for sure:

- install new battery charger
- Life lines: remove rust stains, unfreeze adjustment nuts, remove vinyl, tighten
- remove rust from engine oil pan, treat, paint
- remove old boat name lettering and install new

I also ordered the materials to soundproof my engine compartment from Defender (Spring Sale!). According to the website, they are still shipping online orders with a reduced staff. Normally, anything I order from them ships the same or next business day. I ordered it Sunday, so I'm hoping it will ship sometime this week.

I also need to do something about my compass; the dampening fluid is practically gone. I'll probably replace it rather than rebuild, but I haven't decided yet.

My hope was to go to the boat this weekend, work on the battery charger, remove the old compass, and do the oil pan work. But I just saw the weather, and it is going to rain. That's not a big deal as my boat is still shrink wrapped, but it's going to be too cold for the rust treatment stuff to work well; it needs to be at least 50 degrees, and be on for 24 hours before painting. It is supposed to get up to the lower 50's during the day, but be below freezing at night. So that work is out for this weekend.

I can still do the final fit for the battery charger; I need to see if the provided cabling is long enough, and figure out exactly how to mount the thing. I can also still try and remove the compass too. We'll see.

The boat lettering can't be replaced until the shrink wrap is removed and the hull washed, so that's at least a month off. The plan was to also replace the batteries. I have two group 24 lead/acid batteries of an unknown age, and I want to replace them with AGM. But, I was just notified that due to massive losses in revenue, every manager in my company is taking a mandatory salary reduction. If I hadn't already paid my slip fees, I might be leaving the boat on the hard for the season. So shelling out $500 for two new batteries is less likely this year. I am going to try and squeeze one more season out of the existing batteries.

#15 ·
Finished dropping the mast to fix the flaky tri color and pinched VHF cable. Before that I replaced some cabin teak plywood that delaminated due to leaky port light. To do....finish varnishing the new plywood, hank on sails, some gel coat crack repairs, then go sailing. Thinking about redoing the cushions. I did them with no piping. I think they look kinda awful. Oh yea have to build some sort of doggie ramp off the dock for the grand doggie. And repair the water to the dock, flush the boat's water tanks, paint the inside of the lockers, maybe rebed all the port lights.

#16 ·
Replacing Plywood around forward portholes and re-installing the ports. It became quite the job when I found every other piece around it has to come out to get to the panels. A few other things I can think of; mounting a kindle I use for nav display, replacing a boom vang block that busted on me and so rail repair damage should cover all the big preseason plans.

#17 ·
My immediate focus is just getting her in the water, which is scheduled for Fri. Not 100% that will happen. Then, commission her life support systems and get the batteries charging.

My big project involves the diesel. I removed the turbo charger this winter to bring it home to clean it well, so that all needs to be reinstalled and tested. I also want to remove the intercooler and install a better drain system, as well as do something about crankcase ventilation. I'm not sure I have room for an official CCV filter, but prefer it didn't vent into the air filter. It's not too messy, but I think causes a slight oily mess inside the intercooler and contributes to the soot that builds in the turbo.

#22 ·
I have a 1973 Columbia 41-CC (41' Center Cockpit Ketch) She was all rotted out when I won her on eBay.

HINDSIGHT! The seller posted pics from 2014 (5 years old) which depicted a clean, crisp sailboat in Bristol Fashion! The boat I saw was full of cockroach carcasses and rotted shelves. eBay Buyer Protection could have saved me $12,000.00 had I known about it at the time, and I could have backed out of the deal.

NOTE: Columbia Yacht, Chesapeake, VA and Whittier, CA, totally OVER-built their boats!

I had a 1977 Columbia 8.3 with an Atomic-4 30HP gasoline engine that was unable to overcome 3' waves, so I landed on the beach and spent the night pounding the surf on the beach until Sea-Tow could hook up and yank me off the beach the next morning at high tide. That boat suffered a crack in the gel-coat where the keel was bolted to the hull, and the rudder split above the fat part which made no effect on steering.

#ColumbiasAreAwesome

My gal has rotted galley cabinets and a bulkhead that I removed using a Shop-Vac. Now I need to figure how to "officially" remove that bulkhead and replace the rotted parts with my 3/4" Marine Plywood scrap and epoxy it in place.

LOOK t the pics at https://www.flickr.com/photos/riggy001/

Tell me how I am doing on this rehab!

This is my first ever rehab, but I lived on my Columbia 8.3 for 7 years, and re-wired her in that time.

Fun Flikr Fotos: S/V Speranza

#23 ·
I don't have a lot of projects to do, but I have a few. I have to finish permanently installing my new Victron battery monitor, which is wired in and functioning but not mounted. I have to do some battery maintenance, which unfortunately requires removing all the cables. I may even shorten up all the interconnecting cables to make future maintenance easier.

When the weather warms up a bit I have to repair a small crack in the cockpit table and give it a few coats of varnish.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.