Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By overbored
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-23-2020 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bay area CA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time

Hey all,
I'm up near SF Bay area, and found a boat I really like for a very good price, about $20k cheaper than what I think it would go for up here.

Anyway, it's in central Mexico. I'm about 50% serious about it mainly due to logistics. But, even if I wanted to go forward with it...does anyone know if it's actually possible to get a boat delivery done given all the quarantining etc? Are boat deliveries all being paused?

And lastly, about what do you think I should expect for costs? It's a 1980s, decent condition, 39'. This boat ticks a lot of boxes that I haven't seen in years of looking, thus why I'm even considering.
ejbones is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-23-2020
Master Mariner
 
capta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: somewhere south of civilization
Posts: 8,111
Thanks: 181
Thanked 426 Times in 414 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time

It is generally a lot easier to sail to Hawaii, then around the Pacific high and down to Frisco from about the latitude of Seattle. I imagine Hawaii is closed to yachts from places like Mexico.
The trip up the coast is a real slog and it can be days or more for a little weather window to open to get just a bit of the way north.
There is also the problem of having a boat surveyed in Mexico. These days there are very few reputable surveyors in the US and I have no idea if you could even find one in Mexico.
I don't mean to put you off, but it won't be cheap for the delivery ($4 to $6 a mile) and flying a surveyor down and back. I don't imagine there are too many delivery captains that would attempt the trip w/o a recent survey, especially if the boat has been sitting a while. Then there's the cost of the insurance, without which you probably can't put the boat in any marina or yard on the trip up, if it should need repairs.
I'd say go for it if you were hanging about down there for a while or heading south, but going north on the left coast is some of the most dangerous and difficult sailing on the planet.
Of course, you could always truck her up to Frisco. It would be a lot less wear and tear than sailing her, and maybe cheaper. But you would still want to get a survey before you decide anything.
Good luck.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-24-2020 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bay area CA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It is generally a lot easier to sail to Hawaii, then around the Pacific high and down to Frisco from about the latitude of Seattle. I imagine Hawaii is closed to yachts from places like Mexico.
The trip up the coast is a real slog and it can be days or more for a little weather window to open to get just a bit of the way north.
There is also the problem of having a boat surveyed in Mexico. These days there are very few reputable surveyors in the US and I have no idea if you could even find one in Mexico.
I don't mean to put you off, but it won't be cheap for the delivery ($4 to $6 a mile) and flying a surveyor down and back. I don't imagine there are too many delivery captains that would attempt the trip w/o a recent survey, especially if the boat has been sitting a while. Then there's the cost of the insurance, without which you probably can't put the boat in any marina or yard on the trip up, if it should need repairs.
I'd say go for it if you were hanging about down there for a while or heading south, but going north on the left coast is some of the most dangerous and difficult sailing on the planet.
Of course, you could always truck her up to Frisco. It would be a lot less wear and tear than sailing her, and maybe cheaper. But you would still want to get a survey before you decide anything.
Good luck.
Thank you. What are all the costs that I will need to expect for a captained delivery? Inspection, prep, delivery?
ejbones is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 03-24-2020
Master Mariner
 
capta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: somewhere south of civilization
Posts: 8,111
Thanks: 181
Thanked 426 Times in 414 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbones View Post
Thank you. What are all the costs that I will need to expect for a captained delivery? Inspection, prep, delivery?
I've been out of that business for some years now, so I've no idea what a surveyor would cost today.
Added to captain & crew pay would be food, fuel and airfare to and from the boat. Of course, without a survey nobody can tell you what repairs (prep) would cost and don't forget that there may be some unpaid local fees (cruising permit, taxes, etc.) that must be paid before you can clear out.
I'd like to see you get the boat of your dreams, but don't go into this without doing a great deal of research. Do not, under any circumstances let your emotions rule your decisions.
One other thing, should you decide on a delivery, the cheaper it is, the less likely your boat will arrive undamaged. You wouldn't pick a cut rate surgeon, would you?
ejbones likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-24-2020
Senior Member
 
overbored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Posts: 2,786
Thanks: 2
Thanked 208 Times in 205 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbones View Post
Hey all,
I'm up near SF Bay area, and found a boat I really like for a very good price, about $20k cheaper than what I think it would go for up here.

Anyway, it's in central Mexico. I'm about 50% serious about it mainly due to logistics. But, even if I wanted to go forward with it...does anyone know if it's actually possible to get a boat delivery done given all the quarantining etc? Are boat deliveries all being paused?

And lastly, about what do you think I should expect for costs? It's a 1980s, decent condition, 39'. This boat ticks a lot of boxes that I haven't seen in years of looking, thus why I'm even considering.
What would you expect for the costs? I would figure on spending about 20K
if you know boats well enough to do a survey yourself and deliver the boat to the US then it might be a good deal, if you are inexperienced with boats of this type then it is going to cost you the better part of the 20k you think you will save. have you seen the boat in person? most boats look way better in the pictures then in person. many boat dreams have become very expensive because of buying a good deal in Mexico.
ejbones likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
overbored is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old 03-24-2020
Barquito
 
Barquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,454
Thanks: 1
Thanked 93 Times in 91 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time

I had a 32' boat shipped about 1000 miles. It cost about $5000. Yours would be a bit bigger, and longer trip.

Valiant 32
Barquito is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-24-2020 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bay area CA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Agreed, it's probably not workable. I think I'll stick to going as far south as socal and doing my own delivery with crew. So far I got a quote for $14k for trucking but not loading, unloading, or border fees etc
ejbones is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 03-24-2020 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bay area CA
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I had a 32' boat shipped about 1000 miles. It cost about $5000. Yours would be a bit bigger, and longer trip.
If i could do it at twice that cost, then I'd be putting in an offer contingent survey...and that the logistics are workable. But at $20k + then it starts to make not make sense.
ejbones is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 03-25-2020
Senior Member
 
nightowle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 246
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 14
 
Re: Boat delivery from Mex to CA in this crazy time

In the Pac NW, surveys run approximately $20/foot. There are actually plenty of good surveyors here, but I understand that may not be the case with the rest of the country. You may want to look for a boat here in the Puget Sound or Oregon area and sail down the coast with a competent crew. It sure is easier to head south than north. There is the "Coho HoHo" regatta that sets off every August -- safety in numbers! It would be worth joining up with them if you found a boat up north. Plenty for sale here. PM me if you want any more info.

Last edited by nightowle; 03-25-2020 at 02:08 AM.
nightowle is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome