Nitrile or Vinyl Gloves, let's repurpose - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-25-2020 Thread Starter

Lightbulb Nitrile or Vinyl Gloves, let's repurpose

We all have disposable gloves on board. Given the current world it might be time to offer them to health care providers. The gloves aren't sterile but they could protect these wonderful folks. We can all afford to get our hands a little dirty on their behalf, no?'

Thanks
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Ed Reiss
Being There
Freedom F38 #154
out of Marion, MA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

Re: Nitrile or Vinyl Gloves, let's repurpose

I wonder if they'd be permitted to use them, not knowing if they were contaminated already.

Anecdotally, I heard a recent hospital do their inventory of gowns, masks and gloves. Only enough gowns and masks for a single day. Gloves were in good supply. That's just one anecdote. It's a nice thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

I have never kept disposable gloves on board, with the exception of a couple of sterile pairs in the first aid kit. I guess I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty!

There does not appear to be a shortage of gloves around here. I have 3 boxes in my work van because the company keeps giving them to me but I don't use them.

I would certainly donate them if they were needed. Perhaps the need will arise eventually but right now our hospitals have the supplies they need.

Disposable N95 masks are probably going to be the first thing needed, but in the ICU where my wife works they are switching to reusable respirators instead of disposable masks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #4 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

Does a standard N95 mask do anything to protect the wearer from this contagion? A respirator might, but it's not my understanding that a mask makes any difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I have never kept disposable gloves on board, with the exception of a couple of sterile pairs in the first aid kit. I guess I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty!
I'm guessing you don't do any fiberglass work. Particularly with epoxy.

Mark
skipmac likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #6 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Does a standard N95 mask do anything to protect the wearer from this contagion? A respirator might, but it's not my understanding that a mask makes any difference.
Only in the sense of being in direct contact around a sick person, where a N95 will stop liquid particle transmission from coughs, etc. Wearing one in general otherwise isn't effective.

Mark
Sal Paradise likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #7 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm guessing you don't do any fiberglass work. Particularly with epoxy.

Mark
I don't keep fiberglass supplies on my boat, those things live in my garage. I rarely need them, particularly with my new boat.

Regarding masks

According to health authorities N95 masks give people a false sense of security. Most people don't know how to fit them properly so they leak. My wife, a medical professional, has to get fit tested regularly.

The most common way this virus is transmitted is from touching infected surfaces, and then touching your face. It is not typically airborne unless somebody nearby that is infected coughs or sneezes.

A mask can prevent you from touching your face, so there's that, but on the other hand, people who arent used to wearing one tend to fiddle with them, and will likely touch their faces when they do.

Masks are best worn by people who are already sick because it will keep their infected fluids contained if they cough or sneeze. Even then, a regular surgical mask is fine. It doesnt have to be N95.

Gloves also give people a false sense of security. People still touch their faces. They often infect themselves when taking the gloves off, and the gloves themselves actually pick up and transfer the virus better than skin.

WHO recommends frequent hand washing and hand sanitizer as the best way to protect yourself. (And social distancing of course!)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #8 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

Imaginations and work already in action for another outbreak/contagion film
Probably
post #9 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Single use gloves are a staple on Haleakula . It has nothing to do with being afraid of getting my hands dirty, but why do it if it’s not necessary.😁

Other great uses are fiberglass work, when we pump out, when using any chemicals like oxalic acid in some of our cleaners. I often use gloves when preparing foods. It’s just easier .
SanderO likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #10 of 19 Old 03-25-2020

Hi,
I work at a Research Institute and YES, we are in direct contact with local Hospitals to provide them our extra stocks of gloves (Nitrile and Vinyl) and other protective equipment (mask and glasses). YES, they NEED them. I'm not saying if you have an open box of nitrile gloves in your boat go ahead and run with it to the closest hospital. But if you have or know someone or some business (which doesn't going need them for the next weeks) with a significant number of PPE, please contact your local authorities/hospital. All the research labs/Universities are doing so. Thank you

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in