Is this typical contract verbiage? - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-03-2020 Thread Starter

Is this typical contract verbiage?

Never having done this before, I'm curious.

Hiring a captain to come with me to ensure that my trip to put the boat into storage goes without incident ... the contract states that I have to provide proof of insurance (no surprise) that also shows that the captain that I am hiring is covered by _my_ insurance.

Seems odd to me. I would expect these guys to have their own insurance. I'll be calling my insurer to find out if they provide that, but I thought it odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-03-2020
Master Mariner

Re: Is this typical contract verbiage?

If he's the one in charge, then he needs to be on your insurance, IMO.

As a professional full time captain and when I did deliveries, it was up to the owner to see to the insurance. I produced a copy of my license when asked, and on full time jobs made sure the owner's rep kept the insurance current, but I never carried my own, except as a Divemaster through PADI.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (04-03-2020)
post #3 of 21 Old 04-03-2020

Is there Errors & Omissions for professional crew?

post #4 of 21 Old 04-03-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Is there Errors & Omissions for professional crew?
No.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-03-2020

My insurance covers anyone using the boat with my permission whether I'm aboard or not, check your policy.

"Just call me TB"
post #6 of 21 Old 04-03-2020

Insurance companies are looking for an out to not get stuck with the bill. If your Captain had his own insurance it would be likely your insurance company would sue his insurance company to pay for damages. I just got an offer for a buoy offer at my local marina. My insurance company has me include the marina and the US Park services as an additional insured.

An additional insured is to make sure an insurance company does not try to pass the buck.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-04-2020

A very interesting topic that I’ve been looking into, I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. It is wonderful to be here with everyone, I have a lot of knowledge from what you share, to say thank you, the information and knowledge here helps me a lot
post #8 of 21 Old 04-04-2020
Dirt Free

When I take on a delivery my credentials are proffered to the client who inturn provides them to his underwriter who has final approval.

I will not take a job until the client provides such approval in writing from his underwriter.
sailingfool likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-04-2020

Very common situation. Call your insurance company. You may even have to pay a few dollars (not large) to provide coverage to the crew.

There are some very important distinctions here. An authorized operator of the boat is nothing more than a qualification for the insurance coverage to be in effect for the owner. IOW, the insurance company will pay for damages, if said operator is at the helm.

However, if the operator themselves is not a named insured party on the policy (or added via a temporary rider), they are not protected from the insurance company coming after them for the losses they paid to the owner.

Personally, I've just paid the few extra bucks to add the deliver captain/crew to my policy temporarily. The rider is usually defined by a date range and passage. Much better than trying to sort out who is suing who after the fact.

Finally, the odds are higher you have a pro on your hands. Weekend warrior Captains often have no idea of the exposure.
jephotog likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-04-2020

p.s. good to see you're still kicking around. Noticed you hadn't posted for a while, after a few boat prep gut punches.

Let us know how things settled down and what your plans are.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in