choice of manual windlass - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago
Old soul

Re: choice of manual windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
...WEIGHT is a consideration. My boat displaces over 16,000 which I believe is 50% more than your speedy C&C... and cant take a bit more weight in the bow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Nope I’m 12,800 lbs on the last lift out on the travel lift. Not as light as you think. ���������� just fast����������
Not that this is a competition, but my boat weighs in at 30,000 pounds, so HA!
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Manual
Ive used these and they are robust and easy to use and install, I would recommend.
Lofrans- Royalhttps://www.p2marine.com/lofrans-royal-windlass-anodized-manual?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjKn5hOq-6QIViJyzCh0R_QRYEAQYByABEgJ2JfD_BwE

Powered
Muir
Lofrans
Maxwell

All good many variations . Some have no free fall, some have no manual retrieval, different power - do not skimp here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #73 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago

I've got a Simpson Lawrence Horizon 600 electric windlass, controlled by foot switches. Though pretty old, it works well. Chain gypsy, clutch, and manual handle completes the package. I make sure to keep the breaker off to prevent my grandson from lowering the anchor while at the slip...

Remember to Reef Early!

post #74 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago

Have the lewmar on current boat. It works fine and is geared for incredibly fast deployment and retrieval. Some sisterships have had failures. Been told bigger lewmars are more reliable than smaller ones but even at our size there been failures. Ours got taken apart last year. Was surprised by the amount of rust. Was able to repaint the whole thing and service it. Virtually all working parts sit below deck in the chain locker. Unless you leave the hatch open (doesnít happen sailing) no ventilation. Chain does carry water/moisture in there as you retrieve. Even with drain holes just above the waterline itís a humid environment. The lewmar is electric. The motor big enough it canít be in a watertight enclosure as it would get too hot. So it does need attention and maintenance time to time.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #75 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago
Old soul

The maintenance on my Plath bronze has consisted of me tossing a bucket of water over it once or twice in 10 years to clean some of the exterior grime. Other than that I had to make a new handle for it when the old one broke due to metal fatigue. That's been it.
chef2sail likes this.

BLOG:
post #76 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have the lewmar on current boat. It works fine and is geared for incredibly fast deployment and retrieval. Some sisterships have had failures. Been told bigger lewmars are more reliable than smaller ones but even at our size there been failures. Ours got taken apart last year. Was surprised by the amount of rust. Was able to repaint the whole thing and service it. Virtually all working parts sit below deck in the chain locker. Unless you leave the hatch open (doesnít happen sailing) no ventilation. Chain does carry water/moisture in there as you retrieve. Even with drain holes just above the waterline itís a humid environment. The lewmar is electric. The motor big enough it canít be in a watertight enclosure as it would get too hot. So it does need attention and maintenance time to time.
Corrosion inside the locker did in my first VWC... it last 15 years though. I suppose a regular maintenance or covering it in thick grease might work... but I doubt it.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #77 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago

Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for the info. Anecdotal evidence helps. I like the looks of the lofrans royal manual windlass, also like the maxwell rc 88 due to its low deck profile, while I like the idea of electric recovery and the recovery speed, I really lean toward the simplicity of a manual system. Its a lot of money either way to be second guessing your purchase decision, be nice to get it right the first time.
post #78 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanealoha View Post
Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for the info. Anecdotal evidence helps. I like the looks of the lofrans royal manual windlass, also like the maxwell rc 88 due to its low deck profile, while I like the idea of electric recovery and the recovery speed, I really lean toward the simplicity of a manual system. Its a lot of money either way to be second guessing your purchase decision, be nice to get it right the first time.
I'm sure the Lofrans windlass is an excellent option, but I'd also encourage you to look in the used market if you're considering a manual windlass. The Seatiger 555 comes up fairly regularly, and I've also seen the occasional Plath bronze as well. Given that there's so little to go wrong with these windlasses, buying used is a pretty safe bet.

BLOG:
post #79 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I'm sure the Lofrans windlass is an excellent option, but I'd also encourage you to look in the used market if you're considering a manual windlass. The Seatiger 555 comes up fairly regularly, and I've also seen the occasional Plath bronze as well. Given that there's so little to go wrong with these windlasses, buying used is a pretty safe bet.
I agree I like my manual.

A new manual has to be 1/2 the price of electric at least. A used one even less.

My Simpson Lawrence Hyspeed Manual is 36 years old. With the recondition 5 years ago works like new. In that time My friend SanderO has gone through 2 windlasses. That doesnít include the new motor. Cost is important.
MikeOReilly likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #80 of 85 Old 1 Week Ago

The more deck space a unit takes up and the higher it is the more itís a hazard when youíre up on the foredeck forced to mess around with something. Itís so nice to be able to sit while on a very short tether while trying to fix an over wrap in a furler or resecure an anchor lashed on for passage. This varies hugely on each boat. How to place it to get good support (have seen them ripped out of the deck), good chain fall and good ergonomics for deck work. Thatís one of the good features of the lewmar. The footprint and profile are very small . You can sit on it without discomfort. There are no toe stubbing edges. Feed to the locker is very short and directly down. Think these are concerns for any windlass electric or manual.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in