Tow service choice? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Tow service choice?

+1 for Boat US. Nothing negative to say about SeaTow, just no experience with them.

I insure through Geico, not sure the towing option they carry gives you unlimited towing, like the direct policy with Boat US.

For the cost of the towing insurance vs the cost of an uninsured (or under insured) tow, it's a nobrainer. I had my first and only tow in 2014 and if I continue the policy until 2029, I should just about break even.
chef2sail likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I believe the Tow insurance that comes with the Geico ( Boat US ) policy is $250.00, which wouldn't cover much. My 1st tow many years ago would have cost $800.00, Cost to me with the Boat U.S, Unlimited Tow Package was $0. ( I did tip the captain though)

That Progressive deal really sounds great though. I've been insured through Boat U.S. and whoever they contract to underwrite, since the 90's though. I have no deductible, So, I'd have to be convinced to switch at this point. Boat U.S. deployed an office trailer and staff on site at my Marina to manage claims after Sandy. I didn't see anyone else do that. ( not to say it didn't happen, I just didn't see it)
post #13 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
I use BoatUS and whatever service they have, Towboat I think. If you get your Insurance through Geico (BoatUS) it comes with tow service membership. Never used them for a tow but Iíve often called and asked to be put in touch with a local operator for local knowledge when approaching a sketchy Inlet or Harbor. If there are tugs around Iíll usually try B2B first but sometimes they donít know about shallow draft areas. Just another tool in the box to choose from. Worth the $.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
I believe the Tow insurance that comes with the Geico ( Boat US ) policy is $250.00, which wouldn't cover much. My 1st tow many years ago would have cost $800.00, Cost to me with the Boat U.S, Unlimited Tow Package was $0...
Both of the above statements that I bolded were once accurate, but have changed in recent years.

BoatUS insurance used to include towing reimbursement at no charge, but it was capped at $250, which is next to nothing given towing rates. However, the options have changed significantly in recent years.

Option 1: Purchase a TowBoatUS membership, typically for around $125 per year for "Unlimited" service, though service levels and costs may vary in various places. This has been offered for many years, and covers you on any recreational boat that you are on at the time, as long as the owner is present. In other words, it covers you on any boats you own (only one membership needed even if you own more than one boat), and last time I checked it also covers towing of a friend's boat if you're a passenger and have your card with you. I believe it does not cover towing for a chartered bareboat because the owner is not present (and perhaps because it's considered a commercial vessel). I have had this for 10 years, and had a tow last year that would have cost more than my 10 years of premiums.

Option 2: GEICO/BoatUS now offers extra-charge Towing and Assistance coverage as part of the insurance policy, and it covers much more than $250. This is new in the past couple of years. It only covers the insured boat (not other vessels that you may be on). It is significantly less expensive (they quoted me $49). I am considering switching to this, but there are additional questions that need to be checked out. First, is the coverage unlimited, or is there a cap on the towing coverage? Second, does requesting a tow count as a "claim" that would eliminate BoatUS's "diminishing deductible" or otherwise increase your premiums in future years? (Option 1 does not impose any such penalties for using the service, which IMO is psychologically important since if you're in trouble you don't want to be worrying about how your rates may be impacted.)

One final comment: Be careful about asking TowBoatUS for local knowledge in advance. That could get you denied towing coverage based on "pre-existing condition" status. That happened to me the other day, and it is the very first time I have had a less than satisfactory experience from BoatUS. I felt like they hung me out to dry, and had to ask a friend to be on call in case I needed a tow.
chef2sail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD

post #14 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Take Five,

I just looked online at the declarations page of my Boat US Geico policy ( expiring in July) It's the same as it has always been with regard to their included tow insurance $250.00 "per incident". "Included" in the policy, no extra cost. The caveat is that the most they will pay in a given policy year is 3 times the coverage. $250.00 per tow isn't going to get you much. Never had to use it. My marina has a little tow boat that they use. So, if I needed a short tow to get to my dock from outside the harbor, it might be easier to use them, than call Tow Boat US, That's about all that $250 might cover

I've Had a Boat US membership and an Unlimited Gold tow package ( Option 1) for the last 15 years. I wouldn't leave home without it! ;-)

When you get all your questions answered about the Geico added package for $49.00 (Option 2) I'd be interested in hearing what they say, as my policy will be renewing in July. I'm guessing that it won't be as good a coverage as the Unlimited Gold for 1/3 the price. But it's worth a look see.
post #15 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Are you referring to leaving your haul in place in NJ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #16 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Are you referring to leaving your haul in place in NJ?
Sorry Chef, I don't understand your question
post #17 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

I've got a 6' draft with my Rafiki 37, and Loch Lomond Marina in SF's Northbay is accessed via a narrow channel. So, it's Boat US with Unlimited Towing for me!

Remember to Reef Early!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in