Should Boating be Licensed - Page 24 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 237 Old 04-29-2008

Wonder how I would do on one of those Boater's education exams? Taking it cold??
Then show them my USCG License and reveal the small fact that I am an instructor for the USCG 100/200 Mates/Masters license
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 237 Old 04-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Okay, let's say that everyone went through voluntary boater education, and we do not issue a license or increase taxes. How would we clear the field of the bad boaters? How would we fine or punish them? Do we make it mandatory to show proof of boater education before a boat sale? How do we regulate and manage this before the government steps in?
Here in the UK, the police have been given the power to sieze and CRUSH cars that are untaxed, uninsured, unsafe or the driver unlicensed, how long before that brilliant idea is extended to any infraction?.
I think that is too extreme, but if your coastguard catches these irresponsible boaters they could seize their boats. It would solve the problem of boaters continueing to use their boats after their licence has been revoked.

BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.
post #233 of 237 Old 04-30-2008
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Wonder how I would do on one of those Boater's education exams? Taking it cold??
Then show them my USCG License and reveal the small fact that I am an instructor for the USCG 100/200 Mates/Masters license
I think you're safe Boasun...lol

post #234 of 237 Old 04-30-2008

It's called enforcement. Every state already has laws on the books for enforcement of rules of the road, drunk boating, negligent operation and so on. Look the National Assoc of Boating Law Admistrators Site NASBLA - The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators click on the directory, select a state it gives you a link to every states boat law admin site, which gives you the boating laws in each state. They are all mostly the same, equipment requirements, operation, navigation etc. What we need is enforcement. Part of each states funding for boating comes from taxes paid on marine fuel. That goes into a special fund which is divided up between the states. The states are supposed to match the amount they get from the feds. But many states are very lax on enforcement. They spend it on other things like boat ramps. You can count the tough ones on your fingers, FL, CA, NY, MI, OR and a few others. Those are also the states with the most boats. Anyway the structure exists. The courts can order a person off the water, or order them to retake a boating course just like with cars. Or if it's DUI they can thow them in the clink. I have noticed an upward trend in recent years of prosecuting operators who are involved in accidents where there is a fatality.

And of course on waters with Federal Jurisdiction the Coast Guard has enforcement authority as well as the state.

Ike
My Boat building Web Site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Boating Safety Site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!

Last edited by peikenberry; 04-30-2008 at 09:40 PM.
post #235 of 237 Old 05-01-2008
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peikenberry View Post
It's called enforcement. Every state already has laws on the books for enforcement of rules of the road, drunk boating, negligent operation and so on. Look the National Assoc of Boating Law Admistrators Site NASBLA - The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators click on the directory, select a state it gives you a link to every states boat law admin site, which gives you the boating laws in each state. They are all mostly the same, equipment requirements, operation, navigation etc. What we need is enforcement. Part of each states funding for boating comes from taxes paid on marine fuel. That goes into a special fund which is divided up between the states. The states are supposed to match the amount they get from the feds. But many states are very lax on enforcement. They spend it on other things like boat ramps. You can count the tough ones on your fingers, FL, CA, NY, MI, OR and a few others. Those are also the states with the most boats. Anyway the structure exists. The courts can order a person off the water, or order them to retake a boating course just like with cars. Or if it's DUI they can thow them in the clink. I have noticed an upward trend in recent years of prosecuting operators who are involved in accidents where there is a fatality.

And of course on waters with Federal Jurisdiction the Coast Guard has enforcement authority as well as the state.
I think your right about enforcement peikenberry.
post #236 of 237 Old 05-01-2008

Thumbs up Sounds Good to me

If, by some chance the proposed licensed boat owner learns something from taking the classes, I say it's a good idea. We've all been out there or along side the pier and someone who think's he's got to go full bore with his boat, who just doesn't give a rat's ass what the damage or who they could hurt. I myself have retired from 20yr's in the Naval service and my wife and I are going to take the Coast Guard Boating Safety Course (ABC). Upon looking at the course guide I saw a few items that I didn't quite have the full pictrue on.

Take Care,
Mike & Glinda
s/v Blue Bayou
post #237 of 237 Old 05-01-2008
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEMCKEE View Post
If, by some chance the proposed licensed boat owner learns something from taking the classes, I say it's a good idea. We've all been out there or along side the pier and someone who think's he's got to go full bore with his boat, who just doesn't give a rat's ass what the damage or who they could hurt. I myself have retired from 20yr's in the Naval service and my wife and I are going to take the Coast Guard Boating Safety Course (ABC). Upon looking at the course guide I saw a few items that I didn't quite have the full pictrue on.

Take Care,
Mike & Glinda
s/v Blue Bayou
I learned to sail a long time ago, but then had a very long absence from the boating scene. When I finally got to the point where I dearly wanted to get back into boating again, I decided this time around I was going to learn as much as I could. My wife and I have been taking classes through our local USPS for several years, and I have personally benefited greatly from this education.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in